Liberals suddenly discover they don't like high taxes

If only someone had explained this to them before.

Wait, we did.

They’re ready to jump off a real cliff.
New Yorkers of all income levels got a rude awakening yesterday when they saw in The Post how much more they will pay in taxes next year without a fiscal-cliff deal by Jan. 1.
“It’s that much higher?” asked IT worker Vikas Kataria, 34, who discovered that his combined household income of about $250,000 per year will cost him nearly $10,000 more in taxes.
“I thought it was a couple thousand — but that’s a lot,” said Kataria, who works at Merrill Lynch in Manhattan and is married to a systems analyst for a brokerage firm. “That’s huge!”

With higher taxes, the couple would have to cut out on traveling and family vacations.
Clothing designer Peter Opie, of Canary Wharf Clothier, made about $2 million this year — and would see his tax bill spike by a staggering $100,000.
“The system is nuts here — it’s madness personified!” he said
“We were impacted massively by the hurricane — and now there is this,” said Opie. “You work your butt off and you end up with next to nothing.”

Folks freak at size of tax hikes if fiscal cliff isn’t averted - NYPOST.com

Jesus H. Christ, this sounds like Ann Romney "living on the edge - not entertaining"...

I do love how much Progressives argue we need higher taxes!!!!!! Yet in reality they demand lower taxes for 99% of people.....

Libs love high taxes...
As long as it's coming out of someone Else's pocket.
And they love spending even more.
As long as it's someone Else's money being spent on their agenda.

Oh, if only things were so simple: "higher taxes vs. lower taxes".

Unfortunately, the real world is replete with nuance, with moving parts. In this case, there are three pretty clear moving parts, whether or not we want to exert the intellectual elasticity to address them:

1. At what point do higher marginal tax rates create enough drag on the overall economy to become a self-defeating endeavor? Assuming that deductions and credits remain static, can someone provide some objective, dependable data on that one?

2. At what point does government support for the individual create enough drag on their personal initiative that we are harming that person more than helping them? Can someone provide some objective, dependable data on that one?

3. At what point does the sloth, inefficiency, corruption and waste inherent in bureaucracy create enough drag on its efforts to support a person or group of people that it's creating more harm than good? Can someone provide some objective, dependable data on that one?

And if we can't provide some objective, dependable data on the above three questions (and I assume we can't), I wonder why I so rarely see them discussed when the subject of income taxation is addressed. Seems to me that these questions are at the center of the debate.

Easier to just keep it simple, yell and name-call, I reckon.

Wait, we did.

New Yorkers of all income levels got a rude awakening yesterday when they saw in The Post how much more they will pay in taxes next year without a fiscal-cliff deal by Jan. 1.
“It’s that much higher?” asked IT worker Vikas Kataria, 34, who discovered that his combined household income of about $250,000 per year will cost him nearly $10,000 more in taxes.
“I thought it was a couple thousand — but that’s a lot,” said Kataria, who works at Merrill Lynch in Manhattan and is married to a systems analyst for a brokerage firm. “That’s huge!”

With higher taxes, the couple would have to cut out on traveling and family vacations.
Clothing designer Peter Opie, of Canary Wharf Clothier, made about $2 million this year — and would see his tax bill spike by a staggering $100,000.
“We were impacted massively by the hurricane — and now there is this,” said Opie. “You work your butt off and you end up with next to nothing.”

As a New Yorker with a high salary and real estate..no I don't like higher taxes.

But I like roads, the US mail, clean water, electricity and a plethora of other services the government provides.

And as a Liberal, I realize there is no free lunch or pie in the sky.

So watcha gonna do?

:dunno:

I do love how much Progressives argue we need higher taxes!!!!!! Yet in reality they demand lower taxes for 99% of people.....

Libs love high taxes...

I'd like a line item tax return.

Would you be in favor of that?

Or would be to much direct democracy.

Libs love high taxes...

Sounds good! I'd fund science, millitary, roads, police and demand a cut in the rats in dc pay checks!

inequality-p25_averagehouseholdincom.png

The top one percent's share of total income has risen the more in the U.S. than in any other major Western country since 1960, according to a new paper by Thomas Piketty and Emmanuel Saez, economics professors at the Paris School of Economics and the University of California at Berkeley, respectively. While the top one percent's share of income declined in some European countries and rose by up to 4 percentage points in most others during that period, it spiked by more than 9 percentage points in the U.S.

Tax policy also has tilted more favorably toward the rich in the U.S. than in nearly all major Western countries. The top income tax rate has fallen modestly in most major Western countries since 1960, but it has collapsed by more than 45 percentage points here.

Libs love high taxes...

Sounds good! I'd fund science, millitary, roads, police and demand a cut in the rats in dc pay checks!

And..that's just the idea of it.

:clap2:

Libs love high taxes...

I'm in...I'd divide mine equally between education, science and conservation.

Libs love high taxes...

I'm in...I'd divide mine equally between education, science and conservation.

Could be the start of a movement!

:D

Wait, we did.

Too bad it's cause republicans refused several times to a real compromise.

"It's the Republican's fault!!" "It's the Republican's fault!!"

What happened to Obama's "balanced approach"? Where are the spending cuts?

Wait, we did.

you have never explained anything correctly... and usingthe OPINION of rupert murdoch's paper... as "proof" of your hypothesis is absurd.

Wait, we did.

Too bad it's cause republicans refused several times to a real compromise.

"It's the Republican's fault!!" "It's the Republican's fault!!"

What happened to Obama's "balanced approach"? Where are the spending cuts?

There were over a trillion dollars in spending cuts in 2010. And they came up with the sequestration.

Personally? I don't see the problem with the sequester.

It cuts defense by a little bit..and bumps rates up to pre Bush tax cuts.

The other stuff it does is mean spirited and would hurt the economy. But Republicans should love that.

By the way..if Republicans want cuts..they should go on record and identify what they want to cut.

Obama ran on raising tax rates.

So he took the political hit.

Time to share.

American patriots like to pay their fair share of taxes.

Only morons like paying taxes. Patriots understand that sending more money to Washington doesn't help the country. It only helps a lot of ticks on the ass of society.

Right. SO you don't use the roads, or ever visit a national park.

And I'm sure that when you are unemployed, you refuse unemployment compensation, and you are going to refuse Social Security when you retire.

Of course not. You're "entitled" to those things.

What you get is an entitlement, the other folks get welfare.

Forum List

Back