Liberals Aren’t Liking This Newly-Discovered Photo Of The 1924 Democratic Convention…

FDR didn't appoint a (former) member of the KKK to the supreme court? The modern argument seems to be that the democrats who were against the civil rights act and used dogs and KKK muscle to intimidate Black voters were really republicans in disguise. Do you really want to go with that argument?

Care to waddle back to post 1472 and essplain to me why the Democratic Party would be electing Republicans? All of those names I put in there, plus an endorsement in the next POTUS election for Hoover, featuring a vicious national smear campaign against the Democrat? Care to essplain why the 1924 Democrat Davis denounced the Klan while the 1924 Republican Coolidge wouldn't?

Care to essplain that video about all those Indiana Klan Republicans? Seems like an organization with "Democratic Party ties" wouldn't want a state run by Republicans. What am I missing?

How 'bout essplaining why an organization with "Democratic Party ties" would be working to remove a Democratic governer (Walton, Oklahoma) after he tried to drive them out? Or why a Democratic governor (Ellis Arnall, Georgia) would be the guy to revoke their charter? Or why a Democrat (LBJ) would be the first POTUS to prosecute the Klan since Grant?

Oh speaking of Grant, since you want to selectively quote history --- guess who the last POTUS was who had been a slaveowner.

Guess which party was the last to have senator who was a member of the KKK. Coolidge didn't denounce the Klan? Is that the best you can do? FDR had an ace in the hole with his appointment of the former KKK member. Justice Black bailed him out of the messy executive order that authorized the arrest of American citizens without due process. LBJ was so crooked that the media even made jokes about how many dead guys it took to elect him but he went against his own party with the Civil Rights act and it took republican pressure to get it passed. If you checked the wallets of the KKK operatives who were threatening and intimidating (and killing?) Black voters you would have found 100% democrat party registration.

:lol: The Klan has never required a political party. What it did require was that you be white, Chrisitan, specifically Protestant Christian, native-born and believe in the superiority of the white race. Nothing about politics. KKK preached "100% Americanism" but it didn't care how you got there politically.

I know this is hard for you False Dichotomists to understand but not everything in the world is made up of the two elements "Democrat" and "Republican". Actually most people are neither.

So I take it you're wimping out on all of those questions I just put to you. Not that that's a surprise.

You have it ass-backwards.. The Klan didn't have the sense or the political stability to engage in political activity. It was a case of a racist political party using the muscle of the KKK to achieve power. It worked for democrats until the 60's when the democrat party decided to use Black anger instead of fighting it. Jane Fonda and John Kerry tried to combine the Black street anger promoted by the liberal media with a crazy sort of anti-war propaganda alleged Veteran instability into the "winter soldiers" propaganda movement and ...presto...democrats flipped their image. Thanks to the liberal media the democrat party would become the party of anarchy and the poor KKK was left behind.

It didn't engage in political activity for most of its existence, but it did at the peak of its power in the 1920s. And as already noted in that time it supported and got elected Owen Brewster in Maine (Republican), Ed Jackson in Indiana (Republican), Rice Means in Colorado (Republican), George Luis Baker in Oregon (Republican), Ben Paulen in Kansas (Republican) and Clarence Morely in Colorado (not only a Republican but an active Klan member). And it worked against Jack Walton in Oklahoma (Democrat), Oscar Underwood in Alabama (Democrat), Huey Long in Louisiana (Democrat), Al Smith nationally (Democrat) and Stetson Kennedy in Florida (Democrat) who famously infiltrated the Klan and wrote an exposé and later developed a radio series to discredit the Klan in the most popular broadcast media program of the time (Superman).

All of that was WAY before the 1960s.

You still have no answer for any of that.
Yeah, it was way before the 1960's. You might find a KKK affiliated organization supporting a Maine republican or an Oregon politician or a hundred democrats but a political endorsement in the 1920's didn't translate to political victory. It was just an endorsement...or not. Democrats used the KKK for political muscle in the 40's and 50's and up until the 60's when the democrat party decided to use Black hatred for political anarchy. LBJ paid them back with the ironically named "great society" and Black families turned into wards of the state.

Care to waddle back to post 1472 and essplain to me why the Democratic Party would be electing Republicans? All of those names I put in there, plus an endorsement in the next POTUS election for Hoover, featuring a vicious national smear campaign against the Democrat? Care to essplain why the 1924 Democrat Davis denounced the Klan while the 1924 Republican Coolidge wouldn't?

Care to essplain that video about all those Indiana Klan Republicans? Seems like an organization with "Democratic Party ties" wouldn't want a state run by Republicans. What am I missing?

How 'bout essplaining why an organization with "Democratic Party ties" would be working to remove a Democratic governer (Walton, Oklahoma) after he tried to drive them out? Or why a Democratic governor (Ellis Arnall, Georgia) would be the guy to revoke their charter? Or why a Democrat (LBJ) would be the first POTUS to prosecute the Klan since Grant?

Oh speaking of Grant, since you want to selectively quote history --- guess who the last POTUS was who had been a slaveowner.

Guess which party was the last to have senator who was a member of the KKK. Coolidge didn't denounce the Klan? Is that the best you can do? FDR had an ace in the hole with his appointment of the former KKK member. Justice Black bailed him out of the messy executive order that authorized the arrest of American citizens without due process. LBJ was so crooked that the media even made jokes about how many dead guys it took to elect him but he went against his own party with the Civil Rights act and it took republican pressure to get it passed. If you checked the wallets of the KKK operatives who were threatening and intimidating (and killing?) Black voters you would have found 100% democrat party registration.

:lol: The Klan has never required a political party. What it did require was that you be white, Chrisitan, specifically Protestant Christian, native-born and believe in the superiority of the white race. Nothing about politics. KKK preached "100% Americanism" but it didn't care how you got there politically.

I know this is hard for you False Dichotomists to understand but not everything in the world is made up of the two elements "Democrat" and "Republican". Actually most people are neither.

So I take it you're wimping out on all of those questions I just put to you. Not that that's a surprise.

You have it ass-backwards.. The Klan didn't have the sense or the political stability to engage in political activity. It was a case of a racist political party using the muscle of the KKK to achieve power. It worked for democrats until the 60's when the democrat party decided to use Black anger instead of fighting it. Jane Fonda and John Kerry tried to combine the Black street anger promoted by the liberal media with a crazy sort of anti-war propaganda alleged Veteran instability into the "winter soldiers" propaganda movement and ...presto...democrats flipped their image. Thanks to the liberal media the democrat party would become the party of anarchy and the poor KKK was left behind.

It didn't engage in political activity for most of its existence, but it did at the peak of its power in the 1920s. And as already noted in that time it supported and got elected Owen Brewster in Maine (Republican), Ed Jackson in Indiana (Republican), Rice Means in Colorado (Republican), George Luis Baker in Oregon (Republican), Ben Paulen in Kansas (Republican) and Clarence Morely in Colorado (not only a Republican but an active Klan member). And it worked against Jack Walton in Oklahoma (Democrat), Oscar Underwood in Alabama (Democrat), Huey Long in Louisiana (Democrat), Al Smith nationally (Democrat) and Stetson Kennedy in Florida (Democrat) who famously infiltrated the Klan and wrote an exposé and later developed a radio series to discredit the Klan in the most popular broadcast media program of the time (Superman).

Yeah, it was way before the 1960's. You might find a KKK affiliated organization supporting a Maine republican or an Oregon politician or a hundred democrats but a political endorsement in the 1920's didn't translate to political victory. It was just an endorsement...or not. Democrats used the KKK for political muscle in the 40's and 50's and up until the 60's when the democrat party decided to use Black hatred for political anarchy. LBJ paid them back with the ironically named "great society" and Black families turned into wards of the state.

LBJ? You mean the guy who had the Klan burn a cross on his lawn in the '50s? The guy who prosecuted them in the POTUS office in the '60s noting "I have fought them all my life" and referred to when he was a boy in Texas in the '20s when his father got threatened by the Klan because he (the father) denounced them in the state house so they all stayed up with shotguns waiting-- that LBJ?

The '40s? You mean when Stetson Kennedy wrote his exposé of the Klan and shamed them through Superman? And then had to flee the country because of Klan threats?

What the fuck kind of "muscle" is that?

You didn't find 'KKK affiliated organizations' in Washington, Oregon, California, Colorado, Kansas, Maine, Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania and as documented in this thread New Jersey and Wisconsin. You found the actual Klan itself. Electing all those Republicans and infiltrating the entire state of Indiana, where one-third of the entire adult male population was Klan. These aren't "affilates". That's the KLAN.

You never did answer why a "Democrat" organization would be working so hard in so many places to elect Republicans.

Sorry, there aren't any.

You are correct that it isn't 'newly discovered' at all. It's a completely bogus attribution attached to a completely bogus story posted by a completely bogus poster. Actually two -- Fingerboy did the same thing.
FDR didn't appoint a (former) member of the KKK to the supreme court? The modern argument seems to be that the democrats who were against the civil rights act and used dogs and KKK muscle to intimidate Black voters were really republicans in disguise. Do you really want to go with that argument?

Nonsense.

Nonsense.

Nonsense.

The Klan was not political in that sense at all.

LBJ? You mean the guy who had the Klan burn a cross on his lawn in the '50s? The guy who prosecuted them in the POTUS office in the '60s noting "I have fought them all my life" and referred to when he was a boy in Texas in the '20s when his father got threatened by the Klan because he (the father) denounced them in the state house so they all stayed up with shotguns waiting-- that LBJ?

The '40s? You mean when Stetson Kennedy wrote his exposé of the Klan and shamed them through Superman? And then had to flee the country because of Klan threats?

What the fuck kind of "muscle" is that?

You didn't find 'KKK affiliated organizations' in Washington, Oregon, California, Colorado, Kansas, Maine, Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania and as documented in this thread New Jersey and Wisconsin. You found the actual Klan itself. Electing all those Republicans and infiltrating the entire state of Indiana, where one-third of the entire adult male population was Klan. These aren't "affilates". That's the KLAN.

You never did answer why a "Democrat" organization would be working so hard in so many places to elect Republicans.

Working so hard? How hard was the KKK capable of working in a political sense at that time ? Anecdotal accounts of Cross burnings make my case. How could the President of the United States get away with appointing a former member of the KKK to the Supreme Court if the KKK wasn't considered harmless or a tool of the democrat party in the 40's?

The klan was southern conservatives. True they were mostly Democrat back then, but today, they’re mostly Republican.
. . . and still conservative.

The klan was southern conservatives. True they were mostly Democrat back then, but today, they’re mostly Republican.
. . . and still conservative.
Yup

There's no evidence Strom Thurmond was with the Klan. Prove me wrong.

Who's quote is this?

“[T]here’s not enough troops in the Army to force the Southern people to break down segregation and admit the n***r race into our theatres, into our swimming pools, into our homes, and into our churches,”

I found this image on Google image, and yes Peter Shulman claims this is an image from the Wisconsin Historical Society. There are several others who continue to refer to it as an image from the 1924 DNC Convention. That doesn't change the number of Democrats or DixieCrats that changed parties...

Google image

Image size:
600 × 387
Find other sizes of this image:
All sizes - Small - Medium
Best guess for this image: 1924 democratic national convention

Your collossal boner done made Snopes. :thup:

Snopes is your proof? RPFLMAO!!!

Nopes. We done proved it here a year ago. Snopes seems to have caught up now.

It was waaaaaay back in ought-17 that intrepid investigators here busted this bogus thread and found the Wisconsin Historical Society records --- matter of fact it was about day 2 of the thread. We had a grand ol' time watching the OP squirm around without admitting he fucked up. He STILL can't do it. Fun stuff.

There's no evidence Strom Thurmond was with the Klan. Prove me wrong.

Who's quote is this?

“[T]here’s not enough troops in the Army to force the Southern people to break down segregation and admit the n***r race into our theatres, into our swimming pools, into our homes, and into our churches,”

I found this image on Google image, and yes Peter Shulman claims this is an image from the Wisconsin Historical Society. There are several others who continue to refer to it as an image from the 1924 DNC Convention. That doesn't change the number of Democrats or DixieCrats that changed parties...

Google image

Image size:
600 × 387
Find other sizes of this image:
All sizes - Small - Medium
Best guess for this image: 1924 democratic national convention

AGAIN... we did that a year ago. I believe I posted the exact size dimensions, date (December 2) and name of the photographer (started with a V).

The quote is from Strom Thurmond, and it's from his 1948 run for President after he and several other Southerners walked out of the Democratic convention after hearing too much about "civil rights" from Harry Truman and the young mayor of Minneapolis Hubert Humphrey. After he lost that bid he tried to run for Senate and the Democrats kicked him oft the ballot so he had to run as a write-in, which he won.

I don't even need to look this shit up anymore. But what's that got to do with anything?

Back to the photo, I don't give a rat's ass how many citations you can find of anybody who misattributes it, mostly because they did what the dipshit OP did and ran it without checking --- NOBODY ANYWHERE holds a fucking political convention on wet trolley tracks in front of a residential street. That's a SCREAMING clue right there.

By the way I looked up Google Maps to tell me how far it is from Madison Square Garden (where the actual Democratic convention really was) to Long Branch New Jersey (where the Klan had its 'picnic'). If you're driving today it takes over an hour, 55 to 60 miles. How long it would take in 1924, I don't know -- you could double or triple it. And that's the closest the Klan got to the convention, and it was gone well before the convention was concluded.

Anyone who has trouble accepting Snopes in general is deserving of getting a RPFLMAO!!!

The fake news image of the OP is the caliber of crap the far right dishes out but can't take without crying.

I like this OP because it reveals the Trumpers and their supporters simply cannot come up with honest material, so the make up alt facts and use lying news.

Playing In Theaters Nationwide

August 3, 2018

Death Of A Nation

Off the topic I know, but I looked in anyway out of curiosity.

First line of the blurb:

>> Not since 1860 have the Democrats so fanatically refused to accept the result of a free election. That year, their target was Lincoln. They smeared him. They went to war to defeat him. In the end, they assassinated him. <<​

:laugh2:

Ah, so it's fantasy fiction.

Apparently the filmmaker is counting on the public to not know that in 1860 the Democrat, who ran on a platform of keeping the union intact, came in last, carrying one (1) state and being shut out in the South, that nobody of the four candidates in that election 'refused to accept' it; that after that election that losing Democrat went on a speaking tour to try to stave off the secession and when that failed, advised Lincoln to increase his military presence and that the seceders could not be trusted; that once the various states seceded the Confederacy abolished political parties altogether; and that Lincoln's military governor in Tennessee and then his VP who took over after his death, was a Democrat, as was a large contingent of Lincoln's support in the North -- the ones who were not Republicans.

Fake news comes to the movies. And appropriately it's named after another fake history comes to the movies movie.

(/offtopic)

I love revisionist history

First off.... The klan is and always was a Conservative organization. Liberals are not welcome

Secondly.... the second generation klan that emerged in the early 1900 s was comprised of both Democrats in the south and Republicans in the Midwest.

Thirdly..... TODAYS klan is staunchly Republican and Conservative

Then you need to correct History, who states that it was CONFEDERATES who created the group:

"Founding of the Ku Klux Klan
A group including many former Confederate veterans founded the first branch of the Ku Klux Klan as a social club in Pulaski, Tennessee, in 1866. The first two words of the organization’s name supposedly derived from the Greek word “kyklos,” meaning circle. In the summer of 1867, local branches of the Klan met in a general organizing convention and established what they called an “Invisible Empire of the South.” Leading Confederate general Nathan Bedford Forrest was chosen as the first leader, or “grand wizard,” of the Klan; he presided over a hierarchy of grand dragons, grand titans and grand cyclopses."

It was REPUBLICAN President Grant and other Republicans who tried to shut down the KKK:

Ku Klux Klan Act of 1871 was passed by Republicans.

"This expansion of federal authority–which Ulysses S. Grant promptly used in 1871 to crush Klan activity in South Carolina and other areas of the South–outraged Democrats and even alarmed many Republicans. From the early 1870s onward, white supremacy gradually reasserted its hold on the South as support for Reconstruction waned; by the end of 1876, the entire South was under Democratic control once again."

I love revisionist history

First off.... The klan is and always was a Conservative organization. Liberals are not welcome

Secondly.... the second generation klan that emerged in the early 1900 s was comprised of both Democrats in the south and Republicans in the Midwest.

Thirdly..... TODAYS klan is staunchly Republican and Conservative

Then you need to correct History, who states that it was CONFEDERATES who created the group:

"Founding of the Ku Klux Klan
A group including many former Confederate veterans founded the first branch of the Ku Klux Klan as a social club in Pulaski, Tennessee, in 1866. The first two words of the organization’s name supposedly derived from the Greek word “kyklos,” meaning circle. In the summer of 1867, local branches of the Klan met in a general organizing convention and established what they called an “Invisible Empire of the South.” Leading Confederate general Nathan Bedford Forrest was chosen as the first leader, or “grand wizard,” of the Klan; he presided over a hierarchy of grand dragons, grand titans and grand cyclopses."

It was REPUBLICAN President Grant and other Republicans who tried to shut down the KKK:

Ku Klux Klan Act of 1871 was passed by Republicans.

"This expansion of federal authority–which Ulysses S. Grant promptly used in 1871 to crush Klan activity in South Carolina and other areas of the South–outraged Democrats and even alarmed many Republicans. From the early 1870s onward, white supremacy gradually reasserted its hold on the South as support for Reconstruction waned; by the end of 1876, the entire South was under Democratic control once again."

More or less accurate although the year was 1865 (Christmas) and the group of "many" was specifically six in number, twentysomething vets whose names are all known. They modeled what was basically conceived as a college fraternity after a popular fraternity of the time called Kuklos Adelphon and the silly rituals, alliterative terms and costumes were soon taken over by regional vigilante "night riders" who formed at least two dozen such groups around the occupied former Confederacy. Forrest, who was not present in the beginning stages, was drafted in absentia in 1867 and his first and only General Order No. 1 ordered the organization disbanded and its regalia destroyed, though that order was largely ignored as Forrest had been a figurehead. By the early 1870s it was toast and took its place in the anals of history.

That's in effect a different Klan from the one pictured in the OP, which was far larger, far more widespread and lasted much longer than the original, which modeled itself after the movie stylings of Birth of a Nation (e.g. the cross burnings which were a D.W. Griffith invention) and was founded in 1915 by an opportunist looking to make money from selling memberships by making the Klan of the movie into a real thing. Racism spurred by the Cult of the Lost Cause, which also produced Birth of a Nation (1915) as well as the novel "The Clansman" that it was based on (1905), was rampant at the time, as was xenophobia, antisemitism and antiCatholicism, all of which became Klan targets along with alcohol, adultery, "loose women" and people who didn't go to church. Neither the six 1865 founders nor Simmons the 1915 founder had any known political affiliations, though SImmons had been a Methodist minister.

Both of those Klans operated independent of political party affiliation since their impetus was social structure rather than political power for its own sake. Once Simmons lost control of his Klan, a victim of his own success in proliferating it, the KKK started working, especially through the 1920s, to support sympathetic politicians and oppose unsympathetic ones, be they Republicans, Democrats or unaffiliated. That meant Democrats in the South, Republicans in the midwest and the west. Maine for example was as solidly Republican as the South was Democratic, so being nominated by the Republican Party in Maine was tantamount to election just as being nominated as the Democratic candidate in Georgia. Ergo both the pro- and anti- Klan forces were affiliated with the same political party in each state. In Georgia, Talmadge (Democrat) supported the Klan while Arnall (Democrat) opposed it (and shut it down). In Maine Brewster (Republican) supported the KKK while Baxter (Republican) opposed it. So all this amateur jockeying to put political party uniforms on the Klan as if some kind of elemental causation deliberately ignores the history and context they lived in.

The Klan in the OP is, obviously, the 1915-founded one, in the peak year of its reach, which was coast-to-coast and numbered in the millions. Though the errant Wisconsin trolley tracks photo has nothing to do with any political convention, it did seek to influence both political parties' conventions that year, to little effective result in either case. It's become "fashionable" to conflate a Klan picnic sixty miles away with the Democratic convention and claim it was called "Klanbake" but all the evidence indicates that's yet another 21st century internet historical revision. The OP and his careless conflation of a December day on Wisconsin trolley tracks with a political convention five months earlier and a thousand miles away, indicates just how recklessly partisan hacks will present their hackery expecting the gullible to line up to buy it. Just as "Colonel Joe" Simmons in 1915 expected gullibles to line up to buy his new Klan.

What's ultimately interesting in all of this in the sense of rhetorical analysis is how these same revisionists want to take this clearly Christian terrorist organization and ignore its religious foundations, painting them over with contrived political party ones, while at the same time taking clearly political terrorist organizations e.g. al Qaeda, ignore their political foundations and paint them over with contrived religious ones. As I like to say after the old MasterCard commercial --- "Having it both ways: Priceless".

Last edited:
By the way I looked up Google Maps to tell me how far it is from Madison Square Garden (where the actual Democratic convention really was) to Long Branch New Jersey (where the Klan had its 'picnic'). If you're driving today it takes over an hour, 55 to 60 miles. How long it would take in 1924, I don't know -- you could double or triple it. And that's the closest the Klan got to the convention, and it was gone well before the convention was concluded.

That's a lot shorter walk than the Caravan coming up through Mexico.

Just sayin'.

Forum List

Back