Liberals already formulating their planned response to defeat

miami_thomas

VIP Member
Jan 20, 2011
They are going to argue about substance and make claims that he lied. Of course none of which is true. I’m wondering what lie they are talking about. I know some are going to point to the 5 trillion in cutting taxes but that was never argued by anyone other than democrats. Romney has said from day 1 he was going to lower the tax rate and remove loop holes and deductions. This has been his tax plan since the primaries. I know because I don’t agree and don’t like the fact that he is still talking about the rich paying the same amounts and the middle class getting tax cuts. The fact is if we want to be real about the situation someone somewhere is eventually going to have to tell the middle class either we have to cut a lot of spending or you are going to have to contribute more to the government. He is a moderate and has been a moderate. Only democrats are the ones trying to paint him as extreme right. The fact is he isn’t but for me at least he is further right than Obama.

They are going to argue about substance and make claims that he lied. Of course none of which is true. I’m wondering what lie they are talking about. I know some are going to point to the 5 trillion in cutting taxes but that was never argued by anyone other than democrats. Romney has said from day 1 he was going to lower the tax rate and remove loop holes and deductions. This has been his tax plan since the primaries. I know because I don’t agree and don’t like the fact that he is still talking about the rich paying the same amounts and the middle class getting tax cuts. The fact is if we want to be real about the situation someone somewhere is eventually going to have to tell the middle class either we have to cut a lot of spending or you are going to have to contribute more to the government. He is a moderate and has been a moderate. Only democrats are the ones trying to paint him as extreme right. The fact is he isn’t but for me at least he is further right than Obama.

One lie, was that he was saying on the trail he'd make it 20% across the board, and now in the debate saying no cut for the rich. This doesn't pass the smell test even with closing loopholes.

If the Republicans are going to take an election victory lap after one (1) debate, they'll be making a big mistake.

Agreed. I already said that Romney needs to seize the moment and stay on the attack while at the same time continuing to get more specific.

He won a round, not the fight...yet.

One lie, was that he was saying on the trail he'd make it 20% across the board, and now in the debate saying no cut for the rich. This doesn't pass the smell test even with closing loopholes.

The rate proposed by Romney for the rich is 28%. GE paid zero dollars in taxes due to loop holes. Trust me closing those loop holes will make up a lot of money. Simplifying the tax code is needed and can save everyone money from tax preparation costs. Of course democrats don’t want this because they have a huge amount of support from lawyers many of which are tax attorneys. If you simplify the tax code, they will lose a ton of money. Democrats always talk about raising taxes but they are just talking about raising the rate. You can raise the rate to 100% but if the rich can use thousands of loop holes and pay 15% what does the rate really matter?

By the way, the tax plan is reduce the corporate tax rate from 35 to 25%. As far as the other rates see below for the old and new rates proposed.

Current Rate -- 10% 15% 25% 28% 33% 35%
New Rate------- 8% 12% 20% 22.4% 26.4% 28%

Last edited:

By the way, the tax plan is reduce the corporate tax rate from 35 to 25%. As far as the other rates see below for the old and new rates proposed.

^ This is what I mean, I'm not sure without seeing any specifics that this is not a tax cut for the Rich - and nobody can judge it on its merits because he's not mentioning the specific list of loopholes; therefore, the math cannot possibly be done.

^ This is what I mean, I'm not sure without seeing any specifics that this is not a tax cut for the Rich - and nobody can judge it on its merits because he's not mentioning the specific list of loopholes; therefore, the math cannot possibly be done.

If you removed all loop holes and deductions with the exception of simple ones like dependent deductions, you realize how much money people and companies would save just from tax preparation? Now if you work as a tax accountant, tax attorney, tax software, or tax preparer it is not good news but for everybody else it is. Imagine a tax form the size of a post card.

If you removed all loop holes and deductions with the exception of simple ones like dependent deductions, you realize how much money people and companies would save just from tax preparation? Now if you work as a tax accountant, tax attorney, tax software, or tax preparer it is not good news but for everybody else it is. Imagine a tax form the size of a post card.

That sounds like your idea.

I'm not seeing Romney say "remove all loop holes except the simple ones."

He has not and refuses to list the ones he'd close.

How can a sane mind measure up the math? They cannot.

That sounds like your idea.

I'm not seeing Romney say "remove all loop holes except the simple ones."

He has not and refuses to list the ones he'd close.

How can a sane mind measure up the math? They cannot.

The fact is the tax code has to be changed and we need someone to look at it. He did mention some the other night like the green tax breaks and tax breaks for the oil companies. The thing is there are now so many tax breaks that it would take for every to mention all. That being said I would like to hear that they would just start from scratch and go to the rates only and then add back in the deductions that make sense but this is an election and if you say that then there will be a lot of lies told about the results of those deductions being lost and can end up getting tied up in all the exact detail on one thing. How many presidents get to that level of detail?

You don't understand because NOT raising taxes isn't the same thing as a tax cut. Romney correctly understands, and democrats do not, that the only way out of this economic mess is growth. obama thinks that we can stagnate making raising taxes the only revenue vehicle.

Forum List

Back