Liberal Contempt for the Constitution

Most liberals have accepted some ‘modern’ or populist view of the correct direction of society, without addressing either the provenance, or the prognosis if this path is followed.

1. Where do our laws begin? The answer is not open to conjecture: it is written in the Constitution itself.

“THIS CONSTITUTION, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, SHALL BE THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, any thing in the Constitution or laws of any state to the contrary notwithstanding.
“THE SENATORS AND REPRESENTATIVES before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several States, SHALL BE BOUND BY OATH OR AFFIRMATION, TO SUPPORT THIS CONSTITUTION; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.” Article VI.

2. Cal Thomas wrote in the March 8, 2000, Washington Times, “In the final Democratic debate before the Super Tuesday election, Vice President Al Gore responded to a question about the type of Supreme Court justices he as president would select: ‘I would look for justices of the Supreme Court who understand that our Constitution is a living and breathing document, that it was intended by our founders to be interpreted in the light of the constantly EVOLVING EXPERIENCE of the American people.’ …
“Mr. Gore’s view of the Constitution, shared by most political liberals, IS ONE OF THE MOST DANGEROUS PHILOSOPHIES OF OUR TIME. It establishes a class of philosopher-kings who determine the rights of the people and shreds the CONSTITUTION AS A DOCUMENT THAT CONFORMS PEOPLE TO UNCHANGING PRINCIPLES that promote their own and the general welfare.

3. Liberal scholars today don’t believe the Constitution was “ROOTED IN OBJECTIVE AND UNCHANGING TRUTH”—that is, they don’t believe our founders established the rule of law. But that’s just what the founders did. And now most lawyers and judges reject their foundational work. “A well-known Harvard law professor,” Robert Bork wrote, “turned to me with some exasperation and said, ‘Your notion that the Constitution is in some sense law must rest upon an obscure philosophic principle with which I am unfamiliar.’”

4. Law schools routinely teach about being “legal realists.” Like former Vice President Al Gore, they want an “evolving Constitution.” But this reasoning gives the judges despotic powers. It also takes us away from the foundational law established by our forefathers. RADICAL LIBERAL CULTURE OFTEN HAS CONTEMPT OF HISTORY AND OUR FOUNDING FATHERS. Its followers foolishly rely on their own reasoning, which is not grounded in foundational law.
The War Against the U.S. Constitution | theTrumpet.com by the Philadelphia Church of God

5. Speaking directly to this point, the Tea Party folks have created a ‘Contract For America,’ the first item of which is the following, agreed to by over 82%:
"(1) Protect the Constitution: Require each bill to identify the specific provision of the Constitution that gives Congress the power to do what the bill does (82.03 percent). Tea Party Activists Unveil 'Contract From America' - ABC News

Considering the Framers themselves did not agree on what the Constitution meant, its abundantly clear that either a) they intended (some of) it to be left open to interpretation or b) they were bumbling idiots.

I'm going with a) as the more realistic probability.

Last edited:
Your post was merely silly, PC. You truly need to think before you write. Right now, you are merely for chuckles and grins.

Jakey, I read your post: this is not the Department of Redundancy Department.

As usual, you add nothing to the conversation, merely comment as though you are actually knowledgeable enough to write a critique.

In actuality, you should be banished to the kiddie table.

Sorry, but that is the sad truth.

Most liberals have accepted some ‘modern’ or populist view of the correct direction of society, without addressing either the provenance, or the prognosis if this path is followed.

1. Where do our laws begin? The answer is not open to conjecture: it is written in the Constitution itself.

“THIS CONSTITUTION, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, SHALL BE THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, any thing in the Constitution or laws of any state to the contrary notwithstanding.
“THE SENATORS AND REPRESENTATIVES before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several States, SHALL BE BOUND BY OATH OR AFFIRMATION, TO SUPPORT THIS CONSTITUTION; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.” Article VI.

2. Cal Thomas wrote in the March 8, 2000, Washington Times, “In the final Democratic debate before the Super Tuesday election, Vice President Al Gore responded to a question about the type of Supreme Court justices he as president would select: ‘I would look for justices of the Supreme Court who understand that our Constitution is a living and breathing document, that it was intended by our founders to be interpreted in the light of the constantly EVOLVING EXPERIENCE of the American people.’ …
“Mr. Gore’s view of the Constitution, shared by most political liberals, IS ONE OF THE MOST DANGEROUS PHILOSOPHIES OF OUR TIME. It establishes a class of philosopher-kings who determine the rights of the people and shreds the CONSTITUTION AS A DOCUMENT THAT CONFORMS PEOPLE TO UNCHANGING PRINCIPLES that promote their own and the general welfare.

3. Liberal scholars today don’t believe the Constitution was “ROOTED IN OBJECTIVE AND UNCHANGING TRUTH”—that is, they don’t believe our founders established the rule of law. But that’s just what the founders did. And now most lawyers and judges reject their foundational work. “A well-known Harvard law professor,” Robert Bork wrote, “turned to me with some exasperation and said, ‘Your notion that the Constitution is in some sense law must rest upon an obscure philosophic principle with which I am unfamiliar.’”

4. Law schools routinely teach about being “legal realists.” Like former Vice President Al Gore, they want an “evolving Constitution.” But this reasoning gives the judges despotic powers. It also takes us away from the foundational law established by our forefathers. RADICAL LIBERAL CULTURE OFTEN HAS CONTEMPT OF HISTORY AND OUR FOUNDING FATHERS. Its followers foolishly rely on their own reasoning, which is not grounded in foundational law.
The War Against the U.S. Constitution | theTrumpet.com by the Philadelphia Church of God

5. Speaking directly to this point, the Tea Party folks have created a ‘Contract For America,’ the first item of which is the following, agreed to by over 82%:
"(1) Protect the Constitution: Require each bill to identify the specific provision of the Constitution that gives Congress the power to do what the bill does (82.03 percent). Tea Party Activists Unveil 'Contract From America' - ABC News

Considering the Founders themselves did not agree on what the Constitution meant, its abundantly clear that either a) they intended (some of) it to be left open to interpretation or b) they were bumbling idiots.

Got any meat, or just filler?

I've been reading a great many posts about how Barack Obama, Al Gore and the 'Liberals' are anti-Constitution.. I'm interested in what you think, PC, about George Bush and FISA, or the Patriot Act, or Sarah Palin claiming that 'we were founded as a Christian nation'.. Do you not consider that contempt for the Constitution? Or are they just not real Conservatives?

Considering the Founders themselves did not agree on what the Constitution meant, its abundantly clear that either a) they intended (some of) it to be left open to interpretation or b) they were bumbling idiots.

Sure PoliticalChic, in fact, I'll point out something relevant to the present HC debate. Madison and Hamilton disagreed over how Article I Section 8 Clause 1 should be interpreted. Madison believed it did not actually grant any powers to Congress - Hamilton believed it did. Both being Framers of the Constitution - both of their opinions are on equal standing. But we can't have BOTH interpretations in force, one must be selected. The courts selected Hamilton's interpretation in U.S. v. Butler.

The mere fact that two people who framed the Constitution disagree over how to interpret it should tell you that "strict constructionism" is a joke. You can't strictly construe something that was designed to be vague.

Conservatives: Judge all by what they do, not who they are.

this whole thing came out of CG's inability to judge editec's disposition on the constitution because he made it too ambiguous who he was in your polar paradigms.

i'm not a believer that conservatism has all of the extra meaning that you and PC have endowed it with. i think all that fluff distracts from the onus of conservatives to do one simple thing:

resist increases in spending; reduce the role of government in the economy.

that's all i want when i see a conservative candidate.

when i push the brake pedal in my ride, i dont need a waft of floral essence, i need stopping power.

you guys have rolled conservatism into a cult. you're not alone. what has been demonstrated is that you're not fiscally conservative.

Just two comments on your post.

As to #5, yes, Locke said "Life, Liberty, and Property." Why did the Founders alter the phrase to replace property with the pursuit of happiness? Because of the invidious topic: slavery. They knew that the problem would have to be settled at some future date, and didn't want the term property to allow slave holders to claim the Constitution validated it.]

Right on. It is always interesting and sometimes constructive to see that the excuse some Liberals/Progressives use for their contempt and even dismissal of the Constitution as important is that it did not abolish slavery from the get go. But none of them have studied the debates and thoughts and counsel of the Founders. Thus they can't understand how astute and brilliant those men were to hammer out whatever compromises were necessary in order to form a strong union even as they conceived a document that put us on the path of where we ultimately needed to be.

But then Conservatives can apprecaite that. Apparently most Progressives can't. :)

In #7, here I disagree. A major difference between the two view is over the nature of man. Checks and balances were meant to restrain the evil in man, as in "If men were Angels, no government would be necessary." Note Federalist #10.
Progressives believe that man's nature is plastic, and can be changed by the correct governmental policies.

We probably don't really disagree. I guess I was defending my liberal brethren in their ability to distinguish between good and evil. But I didn't go far enough in my summary assessment to include the necessity of being a people of laws in order to secure our rights. Under anarchy, even with mostly angels present, there are no rights.

But as I previously stated, Conservatives want government to secure their rights and then leave it up to the people to otherwise establish whatever society they wish to have. Conservatives don't see it as the government's prerogative to determine that, and the Constitution is correctly interpreted when it is seen as affirming that principle.

You are right Liberals see the government as a necessary authority to order the people to live as they should and shape them into who they should be.

Methinks you protest too much.

You use words incorrectly, and this also represents your ability with ideas. Clearly, you were unaware of the meaning of poignantly, as it was not the only work you misused. And now you choose to cover embarrassment with a lie? How liberal of you.

You write poorly, and it reflects in your thinking as well.

"...you've criticized the court's findings..." This stretch is a transparent attempt to make it seem that your point, such as it is, has some import. It does not. Nor does it restore any semblance of honesty to your post.

The checks and balances are embedded throughout the Constitution.

Before you next post, you should consider asking yourself” Do I really want the word ‘moron’ in my obituary?”

yeah. clearly i don't know what poignant means, or write worth a shit. :thup:

lets set some definitions for the argument then:

are you saying that you don't contest the decisions which upheld progressive legislation?

:doubt: my comprehension is a bit shot, too.

I find you dishonest.

Be gone.

ostensibly backed into a corner over your own contempt for the constitution, you personally attack me. i missed that in your conservative definition. maybe you should revise.

the question is simple. do you support the supreme court's findings, or do you wish they concurred with your own position?

to expand the conclusions regarding your own hypocritical contempt, do you feel that the SCOTUS should have been able to make their judgments? do you have contempt for the democratic process which elected the officials who brought forth progressive laws?

perhaps just contempt for the rights of these duly elected to appoint justices if they're not ok'd by yourself...

what'll it be?

As to #5, yes, Locke said "Life, Liberty, and Property." Why did the Founders alter the phrase to replace property with the pursuit of happiness? Because of the invidious topic: slavery. They knew that the problem would have to be settled at some future date, and didn't want the term property to allow slave holders to claim the Constitution validated it.]

Right on. It is always interesting and sometimes constructive to see that the excuse some Liberals/Progressives use for their contempt and even dismissal of the Constitution as important is that it did not abolish slavery from the get go. But none of them have studied the debates and thoughts and counsel of the Founders. Thus they can't understand how astute and brilliant those men were to hammer out whatever compromises were necessary in order to form a strong union even as they conceived a document that put us on the path of where we ultimately needed to be.

Just remember who the elitist is.

And after that, please explain why the framers of the Constitution disagreed over what it meant.

And after that, please explain why the framers of the Constitution disagreed over what it meant.

Elitists are those who consider themselves to be superior to others--morally, intellectually, philosophically, politically, socially.

The "some"--that's some and not all Progressives demonstrate that they have not studied the debates, thoughts, counsel of the Founders when they dramatically misrepresent them. They pick up erroneous concepts or flat out lies off other websites and repost them without bothering to check for accuracy.

That is not elitism. Nor is that condemnation. It is simply an observation. Not one of us has not misquoted somebody or something or gotten facts wrong at some point or another. Such points to human fallability, not to any kind of inate evil. It happens. And sometimes we just see things differently and don't agree. I run into that with my more conservative friends all the time as none of us agree on every single point of every issue.

Nor did the Founders. They were fallible human beings too and none claimed to be saints. And, as all people do, they debated and deliberated and argued and wrote and rewrote and revised and amended again and again those concepts that eventually made their way into the Constitution. And sometimes it required compromise to reach agreement on a phrase or clause that all could agree to support.

But because they were of one mind wanting to get it right--to produce a document that would do the job--they came up with the most brilliant concept of government the world has ever known. And it worked pretty much as they thought it should, and it has stood the test of time.

Elitists are those who consider themselves to be superior to others--morally, intellectually, philosophically, politically, socially.

The "some"--that's some and not all Progressives demonstrate that they have not studied the debates, thoughts, counsel of the Founders when they dramatically misrepresent them. They pick up erroneous concepts or flat out lies off other websites and repost them without bothering to check for accuracy.

That is not elitism. Nor is that condemnation. It is simply an observation. Not one of us has not misquoted somebody or something or gotten facts wrong at some point or another. Such points to human fallability, not to any kind of inate evil. It happens. And sometimes we just see things differently and don't agree. I run into that with my more conservative friends all the time as none of us agree on every single point of every issue.

Nor did the Founders. They were fallible human beings too and none claimed to be saints. And, as all people do, they debated and deliberated and argued and wrote and rewrote and revised and amended again and again those concepts that eventually made their way into the Constitution. And sometimes it required compromise to reach agreement on a phrase or clause that all could agree to support.

But because they were of one mind wanting to get it right--to produce a document that would do the job--they came up with the most brilliant concept of government the world has ever known. And it worked pretty much as they thought it should, and it has stood the test of time.

please explain why the framers of the Constitution disagreed over what it meant.

please explain why the framers of the Constitution disagreed over what it meant.

I realize I used some two and three syllable words in my previous post so I'll try to simplify it a bit for you in one syllable words.

They did not all think as one man and each thought his own thoughts.

None lived the same life.

None were taught to see one point of view as the one right point of view.

None were trained not to think.

And on all the big points they did agree.

(Okay I did use one two syllable word there but it was a short one.)

I'll rephrase:

How can there only be one correct interpretation of the Constitution when the Framers themselves did not agree?

The framers did agree, however, during the Constitutional Convention. It wasn't until after the Constitution was ratified that we suddenly had all these different interpretations.

I'll rephrase:

How can there only be one correct interpretation of the Constitution when the Framers themselves did not agree?

The points of disagreement among the Framers as to what the Constitution meant were very minor and very limited. And you have to look long and hard to find any such disagreements. Did they have some disagreements about what the Constitution SHOULD mean or contain? Of course. They were no different than any of us in that respect. But did they have disagreement on the intent of the final document they all signed? Not much they didn't.

Sure PoliticalChic, in fact, I'll point out something relevant to the present HC debate. Madison and Hamilton disagreed over how Article I Section 8 Clause 1 should be interpreted. Madison believed it did not actually grant any powers to Congress - Hamilton believed it did. Both being Framers of the Constitution - both of their opinions are on equal standing. But we can't have BOTH interpretations in force, one must be selected. The courts selected Hamilton's interpretation in U.S. v. Butler.

The mere fact that two people who framed the Constitution disagree over how to interpret it should tell you that "strict constructionism" is a joke. You can't strictly construe something that was designed to be vague.

Kinda like this post. It has some meat, and should result in some good head butting.

But I must complain that the amount of substance is not consistent with the 'treasure' that you are claiming.

1. "Considering the Framers themselves did not agree on what the Constitution meant, its abundantly clear that either a) they intended (some of) it to be left open to interpretation..."
Nonsense.

Both Madison and Hamilton agreed on the narrow construction, i.e. that the taxes should be related to other enumerated powers... until after ratification.

Jefferson himself later described the distinction between the parties over this view was "almost the only landmark which now divides the federalists from the republicans...."

2.Even had they not agreed specifically as to this one aspect, it would be bogus to claim that, therefore, "the Framers themselves did not agree on what the Constitution meant..."

3. It is more than flippant to suggest that the authors of the greatest political document in the history of the world might be "bumbling idiots."

4. The above comment reduces any opinion of yours to no more than a polemic of one with a spurious agenda.

5. Let's see what they did agree on, and compare it to your quibbles:
a. We should not have a monarchy.
b. Man is neither perfect nor perfectible.
c. Human rights stem from our Creator, not from any government.
d. The Constitution restricted government, not individuals.
e. Power is transferred via ballots, not bullets.
f. The document contains instructions as to how it is to be altered.

Kinda reduces your point quite a bit, huh?

6. The Roberts decision in US v Butler allows that tax receipts can be used to cover 'general welfare' requirements....

7. which seems a small enough point- except if you don't understand the context of this discussion: this is an example of strict constuction of the Constitution, as a court decision based on the Constitution itself is strict construction of the Founders ideals.

8. Progressive jurists such as Roscoe Pound and others (1920's)changed the view of the law. “Pound fought the notion that an unchanging and inflexible Natural Law formed the basis for the Common Law. He did believe that some constant principles existed in the common law, particularly ones dealing with methods, to which he gave the name "taught legal tradition." Pound firmly believed that the implementation of the principles of the taught legal tradition by wise common-law judges resulted in substantive change, which reflected changes in society. As the interpreters of the common law, judges had a special duty to consider the practical effects of their decisions and to strive to ensure that judging facilitated rather than hindered societal growth.” Roscoe Pound legal definition of Roscoe Pound. Roscoe Pound synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

But then Conservatives can apprecaite that. Apparently most Progressives can't. :)

In #7, here I disagree. A major difference between the two view is over the nature of man. Checks and balances were meant to restrain the evil in man, as in "If men were Angels, no government would be necessary." Note Federalist #10.
Progressives believe that man's nature is plastic, and can be changed by the correct governmental policies.

We probably don't really disagree. I guess I was defending my liberal brethren in their ability to distinguish between good and evil. But I didn't go far enough in my summary assessment to include the necessity of being a people of laws in order to secure our rights. Under anarchy, even with mostly angels present, there are no rights.

But as I previously stated, Conservatives want government to secure their rights and then leave it up to the people to otherwise establish whatever society they wish to have. Conservatives don't see it as the government's prerogative to determine that, and the Constitution is correctly interpreted when it is seen as affirming that principle.

You are right Liberals see the government as a necessary authority to order the people to live as they should and shape them into who they should be.

It wouldn't let me add a rep...I'll owe ya'

I'll rephrase:

Straw man.

On what basis do you claim only "be one correct interpretation of the Constitution"

Under discussion is whether or not the concept of " living Constitution" is consistent with the views of the Founders.

You guys are not conservatives, foxfyre and political chic. You are reactionaries trying to revise history. Constitutional history did not stop on 1 January 1801. Either you are ignorant (uneducated), mentally feeble, or motivated by political and cultural bias you can't control.

"The points of disagreement among the Framers as to what the Constitution meant were very minor and very limited." Representation? Big State v. Small State? Federalists v. Anti-Federalists? Incredibly close ratification votes in the three largest (population) states (MASS, VA, NY)? Federalists vs. Republicans? Hamilton's economic nationalism? Burr shooting Hamilton? Federalism? Separation of Powers? Checks and Balances? Separation of Church and State? The friggin' Civil War because the South thought they were the true heirs of the Founders?

For shame, for shame. No wonder America despises the minority who think your way.

Last edited:

"Elitists are those who consider themselves to be superior to others--morally, intellectually, philosophically, politically, socially."

let's see...

who today thinks of themselves as superior to others -
morally, intellectually, philosophically, politically, socially.....
?

could it be.....conservatives?

Forum List

Back