Libby gets 2 and a half years.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Superlative, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Superlative

Superlative Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +109
    ASHINGTON, June 5 — I. Lewis Libby Jr., once one of the most powerful men in government as Vice President Dick Cheney’s chief of staff, was sentenced today to two and a half years in prison for lying to a grand jury and F.B.I. agents who were investigating the unmasking of a C.I.A. operative during a fierce debate over the war in Iraq.

Federal Judge Reggie B. Walton also fined Mr. Libby $250,000 after declaring that there had been “overwhelming evidence” of Mr. Libby’s guilt on the four counts — one each of obstruction of justice and giving false statements, and two of perjury. He was convicted on March 6...........

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/05/us/05cnd-libby.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

2. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Probably wont seve a day of it

3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,920
    Remind me again? Which one of those charges has anything to do with "outing" Plume? Your buddies Care and Truthmatters are insisting not only did he out her, he specifically outed her covert status. Also show me where Cheney or Rove have been charged with anything related to Plume? Another claim by these two individuals is that Cheney Ordered it and the conviction of Libby proves it.

Using the logic and criteria supplied by Care I am happy to announce President Clinton and His wife Hillary are guilty of every charge ever made against them because Mc Dougal went to jail rather then testify.

4. Superlative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +109
    The basic understanding is that someone needs to go down for this.

Its a joke and a waste of time, most likely, the whole thing up to divert attention from something else more important.

It is sure as hell not going to be Rove or Cheney that go down, thats how it works. call it a conspiracy theory, but if someone you work for does something illegal, you may be held responsible, unless you are Karl Rove or Dick Cheney.

5. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,920
    Ahh so your claim is if someone that works for you breaks the law and there is ZERO evidence to tie you to the "crime" your still guilty? It does NOT work like that and either you know it or need to take a class on our legal system and our Government.

Thanks for admitting it was a political trial designed from start to finish to "catch" someone else.

6. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Libby, as a result of his perjury and misleading statements to FBI agents, made it impossible to make a determination as to the nature of the outing of Ms. Plame and the existence of a conspiracy to do so. 'Scooter', in short, fell on his sword for this administration.

7. Superlative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Glad I could help out.

8. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,920
    And MC Dougal's refusal to testify made it impossible to make a determination as to the crimes the Clinton's did or did not commit. I submit that since she had immunity to testify her stance was much more apparently damaging.

9. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Could it possibly be that the Clinton's hadn't actually done anything wrong? Of course THAT thought never crossed your mind.

10. CockySOB

CockySOB VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Cannot the same thing be said of GWB and Cheney in this case? And I can see several people here for whom that thought NEVER crossed their minds.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1