Levi's Stadium...Oh Teh Hype

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
Levi's stadium had its test drive last night with the Earthquakes game.

Tech glitches and staff training issues...understandable.

The traffic and parking problems are hideous...I don't see how those are going to get any better.

And then there's that hideous NFL rule which FORBIDS women's handbags.

mr. boe is going to have to be satisfied with watching the Niners on the 70" flat screen.

What happens when you go to a brand-new stadium and Candlestick Park breaks out?

Sitting in absolute gridlock outside of Levi's Stadium on Saturday evening attempting to get to the Earthquakes-Sounders game, I thought I could hear the old Stick having one last creaky laugh 38 miles up the freeway.

Saturday's MLS soccer game was the first sporting event held at Levi's. It was a test run for the new stadium, 15 days before the 49ers' first home preseason game against Denver.

Let's just say there are a lot of kinks that need to be worked out. Quickly.

The most noticeable issue was the one that chased the 49ers away from their old location. After decades of gridlock at Candlestick, we've been promised a new stadium with easy ingress and egress. So many ways to arrive! Public transportation options! Loads of available parking spots! Technology to make everything super easy!

That's not quite the way it worked out on Saturday for an event that brought 48,765 to the stadium, about two-thirds of what it will hold for a NFL game.

With a goal of arriving 90 to 120 minutes before the 7:30 game (actual kickoff was at 7:53 p.m.), I followed the instructions on my parking pass, optimistically turning onto Tasman, the road that leads to the stadium, a little before 6 p.m. and hit gridlock. Complete and total, Candlestick-esque stopped traffic. It took a full hour to go one mile. But at least I was able to get one of the last parking spots when I finally got to my lot - which those behind me in the jam weren't able to do. They were turned away and sought street parking in neighborhoods miles from the stadium, exactly the scenario many Santa Clara residents were concerned about. According to those on Twitter, it was just as bad on Great America Parkway....

Traffic, tech glitches mar 1st event at new Levi's Stadium - SFGate

Forum List

Back