Let's talk home-brewed Ice Tea!

I've loved sun tea for the past 30 years, though I melted my container at the end of last summer. I've yet to find a container for under $12, so I'm not buying. I'm drinking iced coffee black made from home and Arizona Tea Arnold Palmer Zero, buying in bulk when on sale at Walgreens @ .50 a can.

Boil water, add 6 Lipton regular teabags, steep 20-30 minutes. Let it cool down, put it in the pitcher with 2 cups of sugar, stir, refrigerate.=Southern Sweet Tea.

:ack-1::ack-1::ack-1:

2 cups of sugar to how much water?

I use 1 cup to a gallon of water.

We have decided to start making our own ice tea. Today I boiled water in a pan, threw in 5 tea bags, let it cool then chilled it in a jug.

It turned out OK, but was wondering if any of y'all had other ways to make it.

Thanks!
6 tea bags, a cup and 1/2 of sugar brought to a boil and steeped about 20 minutes.
Poured into a pitcher filled with ice. That way you won't have to add as much water and it cools quicker.
Makes one gallon
:cool:

I boil water in a kettle and steep loose tea with honey in a huge 8 cup glass pyrex...

pyrex8.jpg

tea-strainer.jpg

I let it steep until it reaches room temp then pour into a covered glass pitcher and refrigerate.

Do not add ice to the pitcher... Rather put ice in the glass and pour the fresh cold tea over ice...

Last edited:
I boil water in a kettle and steep loose tea with honey in a huge 8 cup glass pyrex...

pyrex8.jpg

tea-strainer.jpg

I let it steep until it reaches room temp then pour into a covered glass pitcher and refrigerate.

Do not add ice to the pitcher... Rather put ice in the glass and pour the fresh cold tea over ice...

Shaken not stirred?

pyrex8.jpg

tea-strainer.jpg

Shaken not stirred?

:lol: Sure, shake it don't break it! And add a lemon wedge when it's time to serve...

204374_stock-photo-glass-of-ice-tea-with-lemon.jpg

I use the hottest water from my tap to melt the sugar faster...all in the pitcher. It's all very hot water, but not boiling. Then I add 7 lipton tea bags and let the tabs hang over the edge of the lip and screw the top back on where the pour spout is where it needs to be. Done.
Then when it cools off, I put it in the fridge with bags still in it.

Someone told me years ago never to use hot water from the tap for drinking or cooking because it resides in the tank and isn't fresh like cold water, and it can contain sediments picked up from the tank.

We have decided to start making our own ice tea. Today I boiled water in a pan, threw in 5 tea bags, let it cool then chilled it in a jug.

Thanks!

Use loose tea leaves. Bring to a boil, steep only a few minutes to keep from getting bitter. Strain them off in a strainer with the liquid going into a jug or pitcher. Add some fresh mint. Fill with water. Sweeten to taste.

Loose leaves make ALL the difference. My MILs was the best. She used McCormick tea, but I don't know if they make that any longer.

Last edited:

pyrex8.jpg

tea-strainer.jpg

Shaken not stirred?

:lol: Sure, shake it don't break it! And add a lemon wedge when it's time to serve...

204374_stock-photo-glass-of-ice-tea-with-lemon.jpg
No lemon, please....

I like my tea Sweet, not sour
:D
And yes I pour mine over ice instead of adding water because I don't like drinking it over ice.
Sensitive teeth from all the sugar :D

I use the hottest water from my tap to melt the sugar faster...all in the pitcher. It's all very hot water, but not boiling. Then I add 7 lipton tea bags and let the tabs hang over the edge of the lip and screw the top back on where the pour spout is where it needs to be. Done.
Then when it cools off, I put it in the fridge with bags still in it.

Someone told me years ago never to use hot water from the tap for drinking or cooking because it resides in the tank and isn't fresh like cold water, and it can contain sediments picked up from the tank.

That is true. My water heater was sending all kinds of white flecks out. It was the lining of the tank coming off because the heater was btreaking down.

Thanks!

Use loose tea leaves. Bring to a boil, steep only a few minutes to keep from getting bitter. Strain them off in a strainer with the liquid going into a jug or pitcher. Add some fresh mint. Fill with water. Sweeten to taste.

Loose leaves make ALL the difference. My MILs was the best. She used McCormick tea, but I don't know if they make that any longer.

I do not think mcCormick exists any more I liked their spices the best.

I think it was the victim of an aquisition.

Forum List

Back