Let's Talk About Scripture

You want me to answer your question, yet you still haven't answered mine.

What makes you think you are qualified to discuss Scripture with me?
I'm not even trying to go down any negative road here. Not when referring to Scripture.

I sense you're coming from a hostile place, so I'll just say, if you wish to participate in this discussion, I invite you to do so, however, you are also free to not participate.

It's your choice brother.

Brother Quantum,

Do you agree that regarding Scripture there are always three (3) things to be considered, 1. What the text is ACTUALLY saying, 2. What's the CONTEXT of the text, and 3. How does the text apply to us, the readers, today? Do you agree with that?

That is overly simplified.
There is historical perspective, language and cultural differentiation and interpretation.
It is not a simple matter of text and context...geez.

In several passages in Jewish and christian texts we are commanded to educate oursekves and our children, how are we to accomplish this without going through the process of learning? Discussing openly, without bias, ie;reasoning is simply a tool we are given to use to accomplish that mitzvah.
FYI, if you can't tell already I am a Jew, I study with an interfaith group that includes more christians than Jews and have been called "bifaithful" by those in my study group. Thought you might like a little humor there. Studying with people of different faiths than mine,'reasoning' if you will, has helped me to gain more insight and understanding than studying with only fellow Jews.
I believe that comes close to the point of Isaiah 1-18

You want me to answer your question, yet you still haven't answered mine.

I'm not even trying to go down any negative road here. Not when referring to Scripture.

I sense you're coming from a hostile place, so I'll just say, if you wish to participate in this discussion, I invite you to do so, however, you are also free to not participate.

It's your choice brother.

You aren't going to go down a negative road? How can you possibly make that claim when you started with a negative OP?

However, every single time it's due to a wrong and misguided interpretation of them.

If you can claim that you are not being negative, and simultaneously claim that everyone else on the entire board is wrong, you must have some sort of qualification from YHWH Himself to discuss Scripture.

I demand to see it, or demand you retract your statement that everyone else is wrong.

?
What makes you think your qualified to decide who is qualified to discuss?

What a crock. You are obviously judgmental.
Obviously you think you are qualified to qualify those qualified to discuss.

no sir, read what i wrote again.
as a matter of fact, I believe everyone with a belly button qualified to discuss scripture, holy writings and every other aspect of faith.

In several passages in Jewish and christian texts we are commanded to educate oursekves and our children, how are we to accomplish this without going through the process of learning? Discussing openly, without bias, ie;reasoning is simply a tool we are given to use to accomplish that mitzvah.
FYI, if you can't tell already I am a Jew, I study with an interfaith group that includes more christians than Jews and have been called "bifaithful" by those in my study group. Thought you might like a little humor there. Studying with people of different faiths than mine,'reasoning' if you will, has helped me to gain more insight and understanding than studying with only fellow Jews.
I believe that comes close to the point of Isaiah 1-18
I discerned from your posts that you were Jewish yes.

Happy Sabbath my brother.

?
What makes you think your qualified to decide who is qualified to discuss?

What a crock. You are obviously judgmental.
Obviously you think you are qualified to qualify those qualified to discuss.

no sir, read what i wrote again.
as a matter of fact, I believe everyone with a belly button qualified to discuss scripture, holy writings and every other aspect of faith.

:eusa_eh: - couldn't ya pick up the sarcasm there slack? :eusa_angel:

Brother Quantum,

Do you agree that regarding Scripture there are always three (3) things to be considered, 1. What the text is ACTUALLY saying, 2. What's the CONTEXT of the text, and 3. How does the text apply to us, the readers, today? Do you agree with that?

That is overly simplified.
There is historical perspective, language and cultural differentiation and interpretation.
It is not a simple matter of text and context...geez.
Yes, my response was the simplified version to it's base. The lowest common denominator. Which is OK. You've now introduced additional and supplemental texture and context to the matter. Great points.

I will begin the discussion...

Jesus Wept.

I think it means he cried. Now....what say you?
I agree. I'll add that was deeply moved. He had gotten the news that his cousin Lazarushas died. Although he was, and is, the King of King, and Lord of Lord, having the keys to death and the grave, he was still human and able to feel the pain of the loss of a loved one. As you know, he later resurrected Lazarus. I think it's one of the most striking and glaring examples of Christ showing His humanity to us.

A couple questions. Is homosexuality a sin? What would God say about homosexual marriages?
According to Scripture, it is a sin, although it's not specifically in the Ten Commandments, however, many things that are not specifically in the Ten Commandments are sin. Sin is disobedience of God', going against God's will.

As far as marriages are concerned, in the beginning, God created man and He created woman for man, because he said it is not good for man to be alone. God then blessed and sanctified the relationship of man and woman.

This is God's Law, not mine.

A couple questions. Is homosexuality a sin? What would God say about homosexual marriages?
According to Scripture, it is a sin, although it's not specifically in the Ten Commandments, however, many things that are not specifically in the Ten Commandments are sin. Sin is disobedience of God', going against God's will.

As far as marriages are concerned, in the beginning, God created man and He created woman for man, because he said it is not good for man to be alone. God then blessed and sanctified the relationship of man and woman.

Will God punish those who approve of homosexual marriage?

Will God punish those who approve of homosexual marriage?
God will punish ALL who wilfully disobey his will. Again, sin is disobeying God's will, plain and simple and Scripture states that the wages of sin is death. This goes for the matter we're discussing and everything else, including things that you may not be considering. God treats each sin as equal. So the sin of homosexuality is no more severe than the sin of someone stealing a dollar from someone's back pocket.

The good thing about God is that He treats us all justly, He looks at the heart, and only He alone knows the heart. He's able to discern and determine judgement for each and every individual.

Praise God for that!

Last edited:

Leviticus 18 and 20 define it as a sin, however; in several places in the writings we are told to love the sinner and pray for them.
I would answer that intolerance of others over a sin they may have committed is in itself a sin. Since we were given the gift of freewill, each of us will be held accountable for our sins by G_d, but we as humans are commanded not to judge others. Intolerance is always a sin.
Again, I repost this quote;

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation; go and learn."
—Talmud, Shabbat 31a

Now on a personal level, I have no problem accepting homosexual relationships and/or marriages sanctioned by the governments. I do not intend to stand in judgment of others for one thing. For another thing I personally believe (contrary to the religious texts) that a loving relationship is a good thing. How others choose to live, or what laws a government chooses to make does not impact me or my faith in the least.

Only Paul writes anything about homosexuality, it is not mentioned anywhere else in the new testament. This is the same guy who said it is better to never have sex at all.
Paul's writings are letters he wrote to church leaders and fellow evangelist at the time. He wrote many others that are not in the KJV. One could ask why these letters he wrote to other people are in the Bible at all, and if so - why others are not...especially when Paul himself admonished others for taking his words and teachings as the rule of Christianity. And then they go and make his writings a part of "holy" scriptures. Most definitely against his wishes.

Last edited:
This is too, too funny!

A request to discuss the Bible and you guys make it into a war!

This is better than The Onion.

I agree it is humorous, but it appears Marc and Quantum have a prior issue to settle. I jumped in before I understood that. In their own way they are 'reasoning'. This could end well, at least that's my hope.

My issue is with him saying that everyone else, without qualification, is wrong. I would think you would take issue with that also, and demand that he show what makes him qualified to declare that you don't know what you are talking about before you even post.

By the way, have you noticed how he has ignored me since I exposed him?

Forum List

Back