Let's Talk About Scripture

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by MarcATL, Oct 6, 2012.

1. MarcATL

MarcATL Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,747
    I've seen quite a number of USMB members posting disparaging things about Christianity and/or the Bible, using various reasons and bringing up various texts.

However, every single time it's due to a wrong and misguided interpretation of them.

So let's discuss such things, or simply any texts of Scripture you may have questions about.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    What makes you think you are qualified to discuss Scripture with me?

3. slackjawed

slackjawed Self deported

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +645
    ?
    What makes you think your qualified to decide who is qualified to discuss?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  4. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    He can talk about whatever he wants, as long as he doesn't talk to me.

I want to know what makes him think he can actually discuss scripture with me.

5. MarcATL

MarcATL Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,747
    I'm sorry you feel that way.

What do you think Isaiah 1:18, Isaiah - The vision concerning Judah and - Bible Gateway, meant?

6. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,929
    You can start by explaining why Jesus repeatedly stated he was NOT God, that he gained his power from God, that he was the SON of God. While you claim Jesus is really God.

7. slackjawed

slackjawed Self deported

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +645

IMHO, reasoning together without bias, as god says, is a true test of faith. Interesting choice.

8. MarcATL

MarcATL Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,747
    The relationship of the Trinity is a mystery that is simoultenaously very simple and very complex for the human mind to comprehend.

Jesus is the Word, and if you look in 1 John 1 it states that in the beginning there was the Word. That tells us that Jesus, the Son has always been around. The relationship of the Trinity is simple in the sense that we can understand the relationship of Father and Son, and subsequently Holy Spirit. It's complex in the sense that our finite human minds simply CANNOT fathom a being that is 3 beings in 1. It's one of those things that blows your mind, like Eternity.

Sidebar: Have you ever stopped to consider Eternity? Imagine a being, God, that always existed and will exist forever. Never having a beginning and never having an end. It blows my mind every timeI stop to think about it, which is fairly frequently.

To attempt to answer your question is that God explains the relationship of the Trinity in the way He did, which is Father, Son & Holy Ghost in a way that we, humans, can understand. However, He's ultimately more than that. The best explanation I've seen of the relationship of The Trinity was in Bill Maher's 'Religulous', here...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bjkj80B0fc]Loved the explanation of the Holy Trinity. - YouTube[/ame]

Combined with that and the realization that God puts things in ways for us, as human beings, to understand should bring some clarity to you.

Hope that helps.

9. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    What makes you think I feel anyway at all? I asked a question, I did not state an opinion or get all swarmy about my feelings. What makes you think you are qualified to discuss Scripture with me?

As for Isaiah 1:18-20, I think it meant exactly what it says.

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool. If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land: But if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken [it].

10. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    This shows why you and Marc are not able to discuss Scripture. This was not a call for people to talk to each other, this was a plea from God to the nation of Israel to listen to Him.