Let`s have a vote on back radiation

Thanks for the assist...but the puck won`t score a goal, because like Roy he calls a "time out" when he`s about to loose the "hockey stick" game..and the goal keeper is out to lunch...permanently.
Then when the ref puts the puck back in the game, Roy and his the Virginias want to play mini golf instead which does not go for a full 3 ( climate decade) game periods and overtime but only for as long as it suits them, say a bad 24 hour period for New Orleans or New York and the global arena is reduced to a much smaller recent local "severe weather event"....due to "GLOBAL warming"
You should think that IanC would have grasped the concept when I posted how the solar refrigerators work and what limits them when the rate of cooling is diminished...as it is when the parabolic mirror looks at a tree, a building or a cloud. Then You can`t cool water to a lower temperature as the IR radiation source the mirror captured.

As if the world wide engineering community that is clever enough to build autonomous drones that can take out a target on another continent or land autonomous robot/vehicles that land on Mars would not be clever enough to design a heating system that can heat a house with a colder object like Roy claims.
So Ian why don`t You save Yourself a lot of money,...never mind solar or wind power...just point a large parabolic mirror towards the outside wall of Your neighbor`s house facing Your own and enjoy the free "back radiation" heat.
Ian, You wanna know why engineers don`t waste their time with Spencer`s "back radiation photons"...?
Because even a Virginia would have realized that a +100 C hot "black body" is no longer the same dark black body that was "dark" speak cold enough before it became hot and when it could still absorb the photons at the wavelengths which come from a "blacker" (speak colder) body.
The hotter, less dark, less black lesser of a black body it gets the larger the albedo and it begins reflecting everything that is emitted by a colder and still blacker black body..heat flows from hot to cold...and only from cold to hot in people`s minds which are too feeble to understand what a theoretical physics black body is supposed to be to, if You want it to conform to a Planck`s frequency profile.
The only "black body" that exhibits a radiation frequency profile as Planck`s is a mass less cavity with a small enough cavity which limits the radiation that can exit this cavity so that the cavity is at a thermal equilibrium state !
It`s no longer a Planck`s radiation profile black body just as soon as You allow it to dissipate radiation which has to have an albedo of 0 as in ZERO !!
A sphere is the exact opposite of a cavity and more so a sphere made from materials that expend absorbed energy by expansion, evaporation, phase changes , like ice melting, photo chemical processes like plant growth. All considered, even a sphere with a 30 % "average" albedo which in itself is a cheat more than twice as it would take to nullify even Spencer`s crap radiation.
So don`t even think, that every engineer of our times is dumb enough to go along with an IPCC carbon tax without a fight...
Up till now they confined their activity to debunk quacks like Roy,...
If Roy thinks he had it bad when he was bombarded by some of the engineers that bothered to read his stupid blogs...wait what will happen if Obamama`s nanny state goes lock step with the U.N. and forces everyone, all these engineers included , to pay a Carbon tax...then You ain`t seen nothin` yet

still making up crazy strawmen, eh?

But Ian still believes Roy that You could boil a cup of water if You point the solar fridge at a tree which radiates a say +10 C Planck frequency profile.

how exactly am I suppose to have a dialogue with someone who continually puts up nonsense ideas and attributes them to me? are you still pissed that I showed how your solar fridge/oven supported my way of thinking, not yours?

do you really not understand the concept of first principles? if you were around in Newton's time you would have argued against "bodies in motion tend to stay in motion" just because you dont find frictionless examples.

[
Latour's letter goes off the rails right from the beginning.

Really, it doesn't. In fact, it doesn't go off the rails anywhere, but you believe in the magic so ergo, I guess you have to believe that anything that questions the magic must be off the rails somewhere and "right from the beginning" accomodates that sort of thinking as well as any.

Latour's letter goes off the rails right from the beginning.

His statement “This is because the second plate reduced the rate at which the first plate was losing energy.” is provably false. And the answer to his subsequent question in parentheses is: no. His statement “Again, the reason the heated plate became even hotter is that the second plate has, in effect, “insulated” the first plate from its cold surroundings, keeping it warmer than if the second plate was not there.” is not true.

If the claim were true, the total surroundings, including cooler plate, would receive more radiation from T difference = 160 – 150 = 10F and the chiller chamber temperature would increase to T > 0, even if the portion of surroundings blocked by the cool plate gets colder. The rest gets warmer. The chiller would have to remove more heat to maintain 0, but input electrical energy to the 150 plate is constant, so this requires creation of energy. The 100 plate does not insulate the 150 plate from all 0 surroundings.

the increased radiation into the available walls of the thermos from the warmer surfaces exactly matches the decreased radiation into the walls of the thermos that are in 'shadow'.

SSDD- I pointed out where I thought Latour made his first and most critical mistake and all you say in rebuttal is ' no he didnt'. dont you ever have a thought? an idea that you want to express?

the chiller is a device that is thermostatically controlled with a reservoir of cooled material behind the walls. the incidence of radiation from either the 150F or 160F plate will not make a measurable difference. the chiller represents cold outer space, albeit at a much warmer temperature of zero degrees fahrenheit.

do you and polarbear agree that the heated plate's surface temperature would drop if the chiller was set to a colder setting? and therefore warmer if the chiller was warmer (to a reasonable extent, well below the temperature of the heating coil). if yes, then why do you disagree when the temperature of the chiller is raised in relationship to the heated plate by the second plate which substitutes a portion of the radiating area to 100F instead of 0F?

SSDD- I pointed out where I thought Latour made his first and most critical mistake and all you say in rebuttal is ' no he didnt'. dont you ever have a thought? an idea that you want to express?

Here is an idea for you Ian. You started with a failed mind experiment. You attempted to defend it and failed. The further you go into it, the more wrong you get. But hey, you believe what you want even if there doesn't exist a single shred of actual evidence to support it. You have been doing exactly that for this long, may as well ride your mistake right to the very end. Have fun.

Here is an idea for you Ian. You started with a failed mind experiment. You attempted to defend it and failed. The further you go into it, the more wrong you get. But hey, you believe what you want even if there doesn't exist a single shred of actual evidence to support it. You have been doing exactly that for this long, may as well ride your mistake right to the very end. Have fun.

hahahaha. apparently you have nothing and arent willing to even try. thanks for playing. bye

But Ian still believes Roy that You could boil a cup of water if You point the solar fridge at a tree which radiates a say +10 C Planck frequency profile.
how exactly am I suppose to have a dialogue with someone who continually puts up nonsense ideas and attributes them to me? are you still pissed that I showed how your solar fridge/oven supported my way of thinking, not yours?

do you really not understand the concept of first principles? if you were around in Newton's time you would have argued against "bodies in motion tend to stay in motion" just because you dont find frictionless examples.

Tell me Ian, how did the solar fridge support Your believe...I can`t go along with "Your thinking" because You did not think and You are the one who does not understand what`s up and You sure as shit have no idea "what I would have said if I were ...". Besides,....when I started going to school the world was way past Newton and well into quantum physics.
It`s You that is still stuck in a pre-Newton believe system and I`m sure that your entire "knowledge" of physics is the kind of crap you dig up from "climate science" blogs....like Roy`s.
If You know what other people would have said... if they were...Then tell me what Roy would have saidif he were around in Newton's time

But please do tell me....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZLePMMegOg&feature=youtu.be"]Roy Spencer debunked - YouTube[/ame]

How you managed to come to that conclusion if you could understand what`s going on in a solar fridge ?

are you still pissed that I showed how your solar fridge/oven supported my way of thinking, not yours?
Or how You concluded that I`m "pissed off"...? Why should I be pissed off ?

If I were "Vriginia`s" or Your daddy and would have to pay the bill for all the "extra special" tutoring it would take to get you past a simple high school exam, then I`ld be pissed off

Last edited:
So according to the kooks, the last century of physics is all completely wrong.

Why? Because their political cult has declared it must be so. And they're the only one's who see it. All those egghead scientists are just soooooo stupid.

Good luck with that.

The last 40 years or so of atmospheric "physics" is wrong. Atmospheric physics ie climate science has deviated from classical physics. You won't find backradiation being taught in classical physics.

Classical physics isn't sufficient to describe atmospheric processes. You need something called "quantum physics". Things like absorption cross sections are fundamentally quantum phenomena and cannot be described by classical physics.

Hey polarbear, if you'd like to see a cooler object make a warmer object even warmer, stick a frog in a microwave and press start.
I would not know how to "put" a frog into a "microwave" or any other wave for that matter.
But while a frog is watching, sticking a colder than you cattle prod up your ass which is plugged in where you plug in your microwave oven where you fry frogs...that would make You look a lot like your avatar...which looks dumber than any frog you stuck in your micro wave oven.

That "doo pah poo" coming out of your mouth is that "African American culture" pigeon English talk for shit or just plain ape culture?
It`s no wonder stupidity has gone rampant because people like You who use micro wave ovens to get their jollies torturing frogs do not wind up where they should,.. in these ovens

mau-oven.jpg

By the way do You know what the frog answered to the vet when he was asked what that thing which looked exactly like you came to be on the frog`s ass:

The frog answered: "I don`t know it started out as a smaller wart on my ass"

Last edited:
hahahaha. apparently you have nothing and arent willing to even try. thanks for playing. bye

It is you who are playing Ian, but it's interesting to watch. Roy's experiment failed miserably and was torn to little pieces by people who know a hell of a lot more on the topic than I do. It is interesting to see someone attempt to defend something that has already completely failed....going off on this tangent or that tangent not getting that every tangent that leads off the basic failure is also going to be a failure.

Classical physics isn't sufficient to describe atmospheric processes. You need something called "quantum physics". Things like absorption cross sections are fundamentally quantum phenomena and cannot be described by classical physics.

As far as the climate scam goes, we are still just talking about energy transfer and you don't need quantum physics to describe energy transfer. I get that you have to "try" to go somewhere else in an attempt to support the scam, but only the truely deluded are buying.

Tell me Ian, how did the solar fridge support Your believe...I can`t go along with "Your thinking" because You did not think and You are the one who does not understand what`s up and You sure as shit have no idea "what I would have said if I were ...". Besides,....when I started going to school the world was way past Newton and well into quantum physics.
It`s You that is still stuck in a pre-Newton believe system and I`m sure that your entire "knowledge" of physics is the kind of crap you dig up from "climate science" blogs....like Roy`s.
If You know what other people would have said... if they were...Then tell me what Roy would have saidif he were around in Newton's time

But please do tell me....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZLePMMegOg&feature=youtu.be"]Roy Spencer debunked - YouTube[/ame]

How you managed to come to that conclusion if you could understand what`s going on in a solar fridge ?

are you still pissed that I showed how your solar fridge/oven supported my way of thinking, not yours?
Or how You concluded that I`m "pissed off"...? Why should I be pissed off ?

If I were "Vriginia`s" or Your daddy and would have to pay the bill for all the "extra special" tutoring it would take to get you past a simple high school exam, then I`ld be pissed off

wow! the wind and bluster is coming hard off Bernie. probably from both ends, hahahaha.

thanks for making a youtube video just to support what I said about the solar oven/fridge. did you even read my comment to you about it? here-

polarbear's experiment-

Quote:
A solar oven is designed to capture solar energy to heat something to a higher temperature than the surrounding air. You put an object in a mirrored box with a glass lid. Radiation comes in, reflects, and strikes the object in the box, warming it up. Basically, the object “sees” more light from the sun than it otherwise would.
But suppose we turned this idea around. If you put an object in the solar oven but replace the top with something that transmits infrared.
Then we put the box out at night and point it at open sky.
What happens? It makes a refrigerator—a “space refrigerator.” The object cools to a lower temperature than the surrounding air!
why are you presenting examples to support my side? the low emissivity of the mirrors, coupled with the easy egress of radiation from all sides of the object will of course allow it to become cooler. that's the point! you have effectively increased the radiating surface, and created a virtual cooler environment by the use of mirrors to send most of the radiation straight out in the coldest direction.

this is the reverse of Spencer's experiment. instead of adding a plate to increase the first object's temperature, you are subtracting a plate in a virtual way to decrease its temperature. thanks for the help but I am not sure why you did it.

I have a distinct feeling that you are ignoring what I say and are only reacting to what you think I am saying.

let's try to straighten things out. I dont particularly like Trenberth's energy budget, because it doesnt make daytime/nighttime into separate categories, and because it is confusing for most people to see (large) radiation numbers going in both directions for IR. in daytime I dont think much surface IR gets out (and maybe some of the sun's IR gets in). nighttime is when the IR gets out, and probably mostly by thermalized radiation that goes through the open windows. I dont really know this part for a fact but it makes sense to me and I always go by what I think until I am shown pertinent information with which to adjust my worldview. Trenberth says an average of 396W up, 333W down for a net 63W up for radiation (latent heat and convection are different categories). if you want to say there is only a net upward component that is fine with me. but CO2 still affects the ability of IR to escape ( or enter in the daytime).

back to spencer's thought experiment. thought experiments strip things down to core principles, like high school physics cannonball problems that ignore friction. spencer's heated plate is like that. the heating coil is like a point source with only one dimension, length. the surface area of the coil is << than the surface area of the plate and thus can be safely ignored. at equilibrium the output radiated from the plate's surface will exactly equal the input from the heater, although in a more disordered form and at lower frequencies. the container for the thought experiment is cooled with a large enough reservoir that the small amount of radiation it recieves from the heated plate has no discernable effect, and the plate and the walls are materials that have emissivity approaching unity.

now let's just run the experiment backwards because you seem to have a problem with directionality. the heated and unheated plate have been allowed to come to equilibrium and the side facing the container wall is 160F. if we take away the unheated plate, what will happen to the temperature of the heated plate? surely you dont think it can do anything but go down? it now has additional exposure to a cold surface into which it can radiate away heat. just like taking off the lens cap off of your telescope.

and just to be sure we are straight- the electric heater is heating the plate, and the sun is heating the earth. the unheated plate and GHGs only alter the equilibrium temperature at a point in the energy flow path that we have chosen to measure.

It is never going to work for you Ian because you "believe" in two way energy transfer between objects of different temperatures. That simply does not happen and there isn't a single bit of actual experimental evidence to prove that it happens. No matter how you twist it, turn it, slice it, or dice it, you are talking about a perpetual motion machine. Dress it up however you like, but you are still just putting lipstick on a pig.

It is you who are playing Ian, but it's interesting to watch. Roy's experiment failed miserably and was torn to little pieces by people who know a hell of a lot more on the topic than I do. It is interesting to see someone attempt to defend something that has already completely failed....going off on this tangent or that tangent not getting that every tangent that leads off the basic failure is also going to be a failure.

are you still here? I see you still havent come up with anything substantive to say. why dont you try defending Latour in the spot that I said he was wrong? do you really think the wall will change temperature because of the piddling radiation from the plate? and why do you believe his unsubstantiated declaration that more energy was going into the walls with partial access at 160F compared to total access at 150F?

go for it! I am a reasonable man. convince me and I will thank you for it.

if it is a mathematical proof, dont forget to convert to Kelvin! hahahaha.

It is never going to work for you Ian because you "believe" in two way energy transfer between objects of different temperatures. That simply does not happen and there isn't a single bit of actual experimental evidence to prove that it happens. No matter how you twist it, turn it, slice it, or dice it, you are talking about a perpetual motion machine. Dress it up however you like, but you are still just putting lipstick on a pig.

Radiative heat transfer
The radiative heat transfer from one surface to another is equal to the radiation entering the first surface from the other, minus the radiation leaving the first surface.

9ca1177f3d75ec3bb4a98ab7ce668297.png

not actually the formula I was looking for but you get the idea.

hahahahaha. I can't quite remember.............have I ever asked you to explain where the radiation goes if the bodies are the same temperature? or where the radiation from the cooler body goes if there is a difference in temperature?

oh yes, I have asked you on many occasions but you alway ignore it. care to answer this time? hahahahaha

come on SSDD! at least try

hell, I would give you full marks for Claes Johnson's 'harmonic reflection'. it gives exactly the same answer as regular physics but gives you a chance to save face by saying the radiation bounces back and forth with neither body accepting or giving up more radiation until there is a temperature differential.

Hey polarbear, if you'd like to see a cooler object make a warmer object even warmer, stick a frog in a microwave and press start.
I would not know how to "put" a frog into a "microwave" or any other wave for that matter.
But while a frog is watching, sticking a colder than you cattle prod up your ass which is plugged in where you plug in your microwave oven where you fry frogs...that would make You look a lot like your avatar...which looks dumber than any frog you stuck in your micro wave oven.

That "doo pah poo" coming out of your mouth is that "African American culture" pigeon English talk for shit or just plain ape culture?
It`s no wonder stupidity has gone rampant because people like You who use micro wave ovens to get their jollies torturing frogs do not wind up where they should,.. in these ovens

mau-oven.jpg

By the way do You know what the frog answered to the vet when he was asked what that thing which looked exactly like you came to be on the frog`s ass:

The frog answered: "I don`t know it started out as a smaller wart on my ass"

Its pidgin English, not pigeon.

Cattle prods word by direct contact.
Microwave ovens work through radiation.
Which, in the case of our hapless frog, travels from a cold object, to a warmer object, and causes it to get warmer. Thus being an example of a cold object making a warmer object warmer.

As far as the climate scam goes, we are still just talking about energy transfer and you don't need quantum physics to describe energy transfer. I get that you have to "try" to go somewhere else in an attempt to support the scam, but only the truely deluded are buying.

No, actually, as I just pointed out, quantum physics is needed to describe the very absorption processes that make global warming happen.

I'm not sure how the use of quantum physics to describe something classical physics cannot fully account for "supports a scam".

It is never going to work for you Ian because you "believe" in two way energy transfer between objects of different temperatures. That simply does not happen and there isn't a single bit of actual experimental evidence to prove that it happens.

Two way energy transfer between objects happens any time photons are flowing both ways between two objects.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back