If there is no light then there is no color...it takes dirt and water to make mud...without one there can be none.

Keep digging Francis

Scoop

Scoop

Scoop.

If there is no light then there is no color...it takes dirt and water to make mud...without one there can be none.

Keep digging Francis

Scoop

Scoop

Scoop.
So you believe that when the lights go out in the room all color vanishes?

That's lunacy, but you keep babbling.

"That property is still there in the dark."

A chemical is not a color. It is a chemical. "That property" is absorbing light of multiple wavelengths, while reflecting others by virtue of its chemical composition only. A chemical composition, or formula, is NOT a color.
Now give it up.

You said I was "the only one". You just lost me.
ciao
Actually colors are chemicals, or minerals of some type. Leaf colors are chlorophyll that changes due to seasonal factors

Yawn

Peel on

Dude is a color a color if no one sees it?

Reality does not depend upon humans seeing something.

And as I said colors exist in dreams that are void of all light

If No Light Falls On an Object Does It still Have a Color?

Like the philosophical question about the sound of a tree falling in a forest, this is a question of perception. Since color is a visual perception and light is the stimulus that produces visual perception of objects, then with no light there is also no color. At least there is no color that belongs to that object. We might still perceive color due to the dark noise in our visual system. For example, when we are in a completely darkened room for a long period of time (so that we completely adapt), the perception is not one of black (which only exists as a related color), but one of a noisy (or grainy) dark gray.
It is, of course, possible to perceive color without visual stimulation, but such colors would not be associated with specific objects in our environment since we couldn't see them. Dreams are one example. We can have clear color perceptions of imagined objects when we are dreaming. And, yes, people do perceive dreams in color. Although for some people it is difficult to recall dreams and some people do claim that their dreams are only in black and white. Another non-visual color perception comes from pressure on the eye. If you press gently at the corner of your eye you will see some bright flashes due to this pressure. These are known as pressure phosphenes. It is not very good for your eyes to press on them, so I don't recommend doing this experiment more than once and even then be very gentle. One could also consider afterimages as non-visual color perceptions since they result from the removal of the light stimulus rather than its presence. However, they are really still produced by visual stimulation.
These types of questions can never be answered definitively. That's what makes them philosophical in nature. It is fun to ponder them and discuss the possible answers with others. Such thoughts and discussions can lead us into greater insights about ourselves and the world around us. Another one to ponder from The Gateless Gate ... "The wind is flapping a temple flag, and two monks were having an argument about it. One said, 'The flag is moving.' The other said, 'The wind is moving.' They argued back and forth but could not reach the truth. The sixth patriarch said, 'It is not the wind that moves. It is not the flag that moves. It is your mind that moves.' The two monks were struck with awe."

Got that grasshopper

Near my house is a university for "handicap people", deaf, blind and more guys with similar conditions go over there.

So, in a meeting between fellows outside the camp, I asked the blind dudes and gals if the "see" images in their dreams.

A teacher who was there told me: "hey, that is a very good question".

They responded they still can't see anything, their dreams are only sensations of touch, hearing, taste, smell.

This happened 30 years ago, but I don't think their condition has improved at all, blind people won't perceive light neither in dreams.

The physical condition rules, the senses rule.

Bodies, by the composition of them, will have a certain compound that will absorb light if light exists. Then, without light the body won't show its composition.

To make it more clear at deep observation.

If we were bacteria, rather than see gold color, our eyes might see a combination of other colors from which purple will be a dominant color in several cases.

This is to say, the reflection of light obtained at nano levels is different than the reflection obtained in front our naked eyes.

Same as well with the rings of Saturn. From far away we see them with different colors, but when you are close to them you see their color as light reflected in plain common rocks, and this will also depend of the angle where are you located.

There is nothing "philosophical" here, but "the fact that facts rule".

Dude is a color a color if no one sees it?

Reality does not depend upon humans seeing something.

And as I said colors exist in dreams that are void of all light

If No Light Falls On an Object Does It still Have a Color?

Like the philosophical question about the sound of a tree falling in a forest, this is a question of perception. Since color is a visual perception and light is the stimulus that produces visual perception of objects, then with no light there is also no color. At least there is no color that belongs to that object. We might still perceive color due to the dark noise in our visual system. For example, when we are in a completely darkened room for a long period of time (so that we completely adapt), the perception is not one of black (which only exists as a related color), but one of a noisy (or grainy) dark gray.
It is, of course, possible to perceive color without visual stimulation, but such colors would not be associated with specific objects in our environment since we couldn't see them. Dreams are one example. We can have clear color perceptions of imagined objects when we are dreaming. And, yes, people do perceive dreams in color. Although for some people it is difficult to recall dreams and some people do claim that their dreams are only in black and white. Another non-visual color perception comes from pressure on the eye. If you press gently at the corner of your eye you will see some bright flashes due to this pressure. These are known as pressure phosphenes. It is not very good for your eyes to press on them, so I don't recommend doing this experiment more than once and even then be very gentle. One could also consider afterimages as non-visual color perceptions since they result from the removal of the light stimulus rather than its presence. However, they are really still produced by visual stimulation.
These types of questions can never be answered definitively. That's what makes them philosophical in nature. It is fun to ponder them and discuss the possible answers with others. Such thoughts and discussions can lead us into greater insights about ourselves and the world around us. Another one to ponder from The Gateless Gate ... "The wind is flapping a temple flag, and two monks were having an argument about it. One said, 'The flag is moving.' The other said, 'The wind is moving.' They argued back and forth but could not reach the truth. The sixth patriarch said, 'It is not the wind that moves. It is not the flag that moves. It is your mind that moves.' The two monks were struck with awe."

Got that grasshopper

Near my house is a university for "handicap people", deaf, blind and more guys with similar conditions go over there.

So, in a meeting between fellows outside the camp, I asked the blind dudes and gals if the "see" images in their dreams.

A teacher who was there told me: "hey, that is a very good question".

They responded they still can't see anything, their dreams are only sensations of touch, hearing, taste, smell.

This happened 30 years ago, but I don't think their condition has improved at all, blind people won't perceive light neither in dreams.

The physical condition rules, the senses rule.

Bodies, by the composition of them, will have a certain compound that will absorb light if light exists. Then, without light the body won't show its composition.

To make it more clear at deep observation.

If we were bacteria, rather than see gold color, our eyes might see a combination of other colors from which purple will be a dominant color in several cases.

This is to say, the reflection of light obtained at nano levels is different than the reflection obtained in front our naked eyes.

Same as well with the rings of Saturn. From far away we see them with different colors, but when you are close to them you see their color as light reflected in plain common rocks, and this will also depend of the angle where are you located.

There is nothing "philosophical" here, but "the fact that facts rule".
However people with sight see colors in their dreams and the brain is a light void. Thus color can exist without light.

Google Image Result for https://www.edvardmunch.org/images/paintings/the-scream.jpg

However people with sight see colors in their dreams and the brain is a light void. Thus color can exist without light.

Google Image Result for https://www.edvardmunch.org/images/paintings/the-scream.jpg[/QUOTE]

Of course we people who have sight can see images and color when we sleep without light being present.

But we don't see those thru our eyes but because information storage in our brain, which is called "memory".

Your memory mix information and you can see images with your eyes closed, The phenomena occurs inside your brain.

This puzzle may be looked up but in the interest of learning, testing, and examining the results, I ask everyone
not to cheat. If you have read it before, please do not respond. This is for those who have never seen the most interesting puzzle.

A prison was overcrowded and the warden decided to free one prisoner. But rather than pick one at random, he thought he would give a test. So three prisoners were brought in to the warden's office and told the following.
"In this duffel bag are five hats. Three are black and two are red. The guard behind you will select them randomly and place one on each of your heads which you cannot see nor remove. If you can tell me the color of the hat on your head, you will be released immediately from prison. But to guard against guessing, you agree that if you guess and are wrong, you will be shot immediately."

All three prisoners agree and the hats are placed on each of their heads.

First prisoner looks at the other two hats and says, "I don't know.
Second prisoner looks at the other two hats and says, "I don't know."
Third prisoner says "I know." He happens to be blind.

Does he? Explain the logic behind your answer.

After several comments, I will give the correct answer and the Lesson Within This Lesson, which is applicable to many discussions everywhere on earth.

Second Lesson* Within A Lesson (*Same Lesson as above)

Old English Riddle

As I was walking to St Ives
I met a man with seven wives
Each wife had seven sacks
Each sack had seven cats
Each cat had seven kits
Kits, cats, sacks, wives, how many were going to St Ives?
Eight. The man and his seven wives.
It doesn't say the man's wives were with him.

Google Image Result for https://www.edvardmunch.org/images/paintings/the-scream.jpg

Of course we people who have sight can see images and color when we sleep without light being present.

But we don't see those thru our eyes but because information storage in our brain, which is called "memory".

Your memory mix information and you can see images with your eyes closed, The phenomena occurs inside your brain.[/QUOTE]

Color does not depend upon humans seeing that color to be real.

End

A color not seen is still a color

This dives from science into philosophy and both hard and soft science must be included in the answer

Last edited:
09-25-of-the-Toughest-Riddles-Ever.-Can-You-Solve-Them-Tatiana-Ayazo-RDDOTcom-1024x683.jpg

End

Again.

Yes, the compound of the body will absorb or reflect light and SHOW a color.

In other words, you can say bodies have color even without light, but bodies WON'T SHOW their color unless light is reflected on them.

And yes, the showing of color will exist even if we humans never existed.

End

Again.

Yes, the compound of the body will absorb or reflect light and SHOW a color.

In other words, you can say bodies have color even without light, but bodies WON'T SHOW their color unless light is reflected on them.

And yes, the showing of color will exist even if we humans never existed.
This is true of the human eye, however we can not see sound as a bat can so we invented ways to see sound. Thermal images do not see light or color but heat. Who is to say that a thermal image in a thousand years will not be able to determine color from heat or that another means will be created

This is true of the human eye, however we can not see sound as a bat can so we invented ways to see sound. Thermal images do not see light or color but heat. Who is to say that a thermal image in a thousand years will not be able to determine color from heat or that another means will be created

Well. there are several methods to observe a phenomenon. You can't see the TV news program just by looking at the antenna, you use a device called TV with a screen to do it.

About perception. Look, there are people who won't see numbers when you show their symbols but in their minds they can perceive them as "colors". So, their mathematical additions or algebraic solutions are not by using their common symbols but by mixing of colors. And one of these guys was very fast doing it.

Yes, there are several ways or methods to perceive not only external but internal stimuli as well. I totally agree with you in this aspect.

What is the "color" of lead atoms in utter darkness? Why are they different in "color" from copper atoms in utter darkness?
And both of these "colors" can be reproduced with complex formulations of paints. What is the "property" in common between a complex paint molecule and lead or copper atoms?

It is a rhetorical question which nobody can possibly answer, though some may try.

Next Lesson - Others: Helping them, teaching them, befriending them

What is the most important lesson you can offer to everyone reading this thread?
This is a deep question and nobody can possibly present an answer that will be accepted by everyone. But try anyway.

Here is the ultimate truth I have discerned. We are here to love, each other and God. That's why God made us. We love our parents, our spouses, our children, our grandchildren. Without love, what do we have?

Reader's Digest recently published the question: "Why are we here?"
Of the many answers they printed from readers, the only one that was printed in red was this:

"To find out where we will spend eternity."

Spread your love. Speak to a stranger. Compliment them. It will make both of you happier.

What is the "color" of lead atoms in utter darkness? Why are they different in "color" from copper atoms in utter darkness?
And both of these "colors" can be reproduced with complex formulations of paints. What is the "property" in common between a complex paint molecule and lead or copper atoms?

It is a rhetorical question which nobody can possibly answer, though some may try.

Next Lesson - Others: Helping them, teaching them, befriending them

What is the most important lesson you can offer to everyone reading this thread?
This is a deep question and nobody can possibly present an answer that will be accepted by everyone. But try anyway.

Here is the ultimate truth I have discerned. We are here to love, each other and God. That's why God made us. We love our parents, our spouses, our children, our grandchildren. Without love, what do we have?

Reader's Digest recently published the question: "Why are we here?"
Of the many answers they printed from readers, the only one that was printed in red was this:

"To find out where we will spend eternity."

Spread your love. Speak to a stranger. Compliment them. It will make both of you happier.
If you put a blue ball in a light proof box and seal the box, is the ball still blue?

Answer, yes and it will be blue when the box is opened as well

Not rocket science

What am I in over my head little one?

Go peel the carrots for the stew

Last edited:
This puzzle may be looked up but in the interest of learning, testing, and examining the results, I ask everyone
not to cheat. If you have read it before, please do not respond. This is for those who have never seen the most interesting puzzle.

A prison was overcrowded and the warden decided to free one prisoner. But rather than pick one at random, he thought he would give a test. So three prisoners were brought in to the warden's office and told the following.
"In this duffel bag are five hats. Three are black and two are red. The guard behind you will select them randomly and place one on each of your heads which you cannot see nor remove. If you can tell me the color of the hat on your head, you will be released immediately from prison. But to guard against guessing, you agree that if you guess and are wrong, you will be shot immediately."

After several comments, I will give the correct answer and the Lesson Within This Lesson, which is applicable to many discussions everywhere on earth.
Seen it and worked it.

Pretty simple explanation if you want one.

Solution to Prisoner Riddle
First prisoner looks at the other two and does NOT see two red hats. Therefore he could have red or black and he answers "I don't know."
Second prisoner looks just at third prisoner to see if HIS is red. If so, second prisoner knows his own is black BECAUSE prisoner one did NOT see two red. Since he does NOT see red, he says "I don't know."
Third prisoner is very smart and reasons that his must be black, so he says "I'm wearing black. Buh bye!"
Wrong. You are only counting combinations, when you should be counting permutations.
The third guy will always know through deductive reasoning.

If the second guy had seen a red hat on the third guy, the second guy would have known he was wearing a black hat. Since the second guy didn’t know he was wearing a black hat, the third guy knew he was wearing a black hat.

Second Lesson* Within A Lesson (*Same Lesson as above)

Old English Riddle

As I was walking to St Ives
I met a man with seven wives
Each wife had seven sacks
Each sack had seven cats
Each cat had seven kits
Kits, cats, sacks, wives, how many were going to St Ives?
Eight. The man and his seven wives.
It doesn't say the man's wives were with him.
It also doesn’t say the man is going either.

None.

Forum List

Back