Less than a billion years....probably a lot less....

The sun becomes about 10 percent brighter...every 1 billion years. So it's true that the sun is getting brighter and probably exposing the earth to more intense solar energy all the time, but rates matter. The amount of warmth we have now is highly unlikely to be related to radiative forcing alone.
Yeah I already did the numbers the rate is something like a negative 10^6 algorithm. It just seems very counterintuitive to me to know that we are sitting near the largest energy source in the galaxy and it is increasing all the time and we expect to see nothing from it. I am not discounting Co2 by any means....just adding something to think about. I realize this position is not the popular scientifically approved one these days....

The Sun is not a static input in our solar system, like all other bodies it is undergoing change moment by moment and probably faster than the other bodies in question. The immensity of our center star allows it to fuse 600 million tons of hydrogen to helium every second of every day. This is what produces the solar winds that offer light, heat and other products to the solar system. The amount of energy that we receive here on earth averages to something like 1300 watts per square meter of our planet's surface.....second by second...it's a rate of delivery. There are several things that mitigate that radiation....our magnetic field, our atmosphere and our ice cover to name a few...I'm sure there are others but those seem to be the major components. There is also another factor that continues to be marginalized. The sun is getting slightly more luminous with each passing moment. Now granted it is a infinitesimally small increase but the Sun.... even in infinitesimal increments is a total beast of an energy source. I have read numerous articles that claim it's not a factor to worry about and yet this seems to defy all that I know about increased energy inputs and on the face of it simply does not make any real physical sense. I do not hold a degree in thermodynamics....however I don't think one is necessary to see the logic here. Simply put the Sun is growing more energetic and we are not moving away from it in any real way at this point soooo the obvious conclusion is that we are recieving more Solar Energy as time goes by regardless of anything anyone wants to produce that says otherwise. Try this at home with your stove top burner and your hand...elecrtric is probabaly more accuate for comparision since radiation is the key factor here not convection or conduction.

Now eventually everyone agrees that the Sun will destroy life on this planet because of this process. A billion years is the estimate....long time from now right? But how do we really know that? It's just a best guess....

So tell me...are you really content to think that something a massive and powerful as the Sun can increase its energy ouput day by day and NOT AFFECT OUR PLANET? You will see bushels of high sounding academic mantra to indicate that this is the case. However I submit to you that even a child knows better.

JO
I generally get my science from a scientist, not a child.

I generally get my science from a scientist, not a child.

Lol..... Point out something in the post that is not from a scientific source. Everything stated in that post is totally vetted science. What's the matter does it hurt your feelings?

The thing that will kill life on earth before burning up is that over time the silicate-carbonate cycle will cause a decrease in the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. As CO2 decreases so will plant life in the biosphere also affecting O2 production.

We are all pretty much screwed in the long run.

However, we will have a few hundred million years before things get too bad.

The Sun is not a static input in our solar system, like all other bodies it is undergoing change moment by moment and probably faster than the other bodies in question. The immensity of our center star allows it to fuse 600 million tons of hydrogen to helium every second of every day. This is what produces the solar winds that offer light, heat and other products to the solar system. The amount of energy that we receive here on earth averages to something like 1300 watts per square meter of our planet's surface.....second by second...it's a rate of delivery. There are several things that mitigate that radiation....our magnetic field, our atmosphere and our ice cover to name a few...I'm sure there are others but those seem to be the major components. There is also another factor that continues to be marginalized. The sun is getting slightly more luminous with each passing moment. Now granted it is a infinitesimally small increase but the Sun.... even in infinitesimal increments is a total beast of an energy source. I have read numerous articles that claim it's not a factor to worry about and yet this seems to defy all that I know about increased energy inputs and on the face of it simply does not make any real physical sense. I do not hold a degree in thermodynamics....however I don't think one is necessary to see the logic here. Simply put the Sun is growing more energetic and we are not moving away from it in any real way at this point soooo the obvious conclusion is that we are recieving more Solar Energy as time goes by regardless of anything anyone wants to produce that says otherwise. Try this at home with your stove top burner and your hand...elecrtric is probabaly more accuate for comparision since radiation is the key factor here not convection or conduction.

Now eventually everyone agrees that the Sun will destroy life on this planet because of this process. A billion years is the estimate....long time from now right? But how do we really know that? It's just a best guess....

So tell me...are you really content to think that something a massive and powerful as the Sun can increase its energy ouput day by day and NOT AFFECT OUR PLANET? You will see bushels of high sounding academic mantra to indicate that this is the case. However I submit to you that even a child knows better.

JO
Down below you claimed this all came from scientific sources. Yet you fail to name any source for this material. It's not in quotes so we have to assume it all comes from your mouth. A couple points:

1) The "solar wind" is not responsible for providing light or heat to the solar system.

2) The Earth's surface receives an average of 168 watts/m^2 from the sun, not 1,300 watts.

3) The Earth's magnetic field protects us from charged particles, not from EM energy. ANY EM energy. At ALL.

4) The atmosphere absorbs only a tiny fraction of the sun's radiation. A substantial portion is reflected by all the various types of surface our planet sports.

5) The sun's increase in luminosity is a microscopic fraction of what would be required to create the warming observed over the past 150 years. What you "know about increased energy inputs" isn't, apparently, worth shit.

6) There's no such thing as a degree in thermodynamics. It is a class in the curricula of almost any science or engineering program.

The characterization below that this is the work of a child is spot on.

One of the “smoking guns” that tells us the Sun is not causing global warming comes from looking at the amount of solar energy that hits the top of the atmosphere. Since 1978, scientists have been tracking this using sensors on satellites, which tell us that there has been no upward trend in the amount of solar energy reaching our planet.

A second smoking gun is that if the Sun were responsible for global warming, we would expect to see warming throughout all layers of the atmosphere, from the surface to the upper atmosphere (stratosphere). But what we actually see is warming at the surface and cooling in the stratosphere. This is consistent with the warming being caused by a buildup of heat-trapping gases near Earth's surface, and not by the Sun getting “hotter.”

Lol..... Point out something in the post that is not from a scientific source. Everything stated in that post is totally vetted science. What's the matter does it hurt your feelings?
"I have read numerous articles that claim it's not a factor to worry about and yet this seems to defy all that I know about increased energy inputs and on the face of it simply does not make any real physical sense."

The thing that will kill life on earth before burning up is that over time the silicate-carbonate cycle will cause a decrease in the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. As CO2 decreases so will plant life in the biosphere also affecting O2 production.

Yeah... And I suspect that there may be a dozen other hidden things going on.

So tell me...are you really content to think that something a massive and powerful as the Sun can increase its energy ouput day by day and NOT AFFECT OUR PLANET?
Yes, because the increase is so slow. It's going to take a very long time.

You seem to be forgetting that the incident energy per square meter decreases EXPONENTIALLY, as distance from the Sun increases.

This isn't my specialty, but why do you say the carbonate-silicate cycle will eliminate CO2 from the atmosphere? I believe it will lower it from its current level but my understanding is that the carbonate silicate cycle stabilizes CO2. We've had photosythetic life on this planet for 3.5 - 3.8 billion years and the cycle has never caused an extinction.

Forum List

Back