Lepidoptera Lovers: Butterfly Kisses

Yes, this summer's plans include sugaring for moths. W.J.Holland, in his Moth Book gives a recipe that is mainly a mix of molasses and beer. Wagner's Caterpillars of Eastern North America is a quite detailed work and mentions the disappearance of Papaipema cerina in the eastern parts of the U.S., a disappearance whose cause is yet to be brought to light. If P. cerina is found in Wisconsin, it will be a rare find. One of its plants, Podophyllum is already up and growing in southern Wi.

Prairie Haven's webpage is remarkable, covering almost all moths of the region and great photography. Any field notes from badger2 will be sent to Prairie Haven to reinforce its educational content. Marcie's butterfly page shows Polygonia comma, which was the first sighted butterfly of the season, this weekend in southern Wi.

On foot out of Hamilton, Montana, the walk into Skalkaho was disturbing without a gun. Thick tree growth covered with Usnea moss grew right down to the road and one thinks about dangerous animals such as female moose with young. A fire had recently claimed 11,000 acres of timber, so most of the country was not normally green. Rides were offered across the pass towards Anaconda, and one local complained that the trees were not being allowed to be harvested. However, logging the wood would create slash that rodents would use for cover, increasing the possibility that some may vector Rocky Mountain Spotted fever. Woodman, Montana (no longer a post-office location) was where the most deadly strain of RMSF was found, a strain that killed its victims, if left untreated, in six days. A few years back, someone in Oklahoma went for a weekend outing and contracted RMSF. She ended up a quadruple amputee.

Badger2 has just received a packet of Silybum marianum (Milk Thistle) and the plants are a favorite of Vanessa cardui, a mascot cancer-studies butterfly and a favorite of the goldfinch. The search for Wisconsin native grass seeds, Elymus hystrix, will provide one host for forthcoming Papaipema cerina life-cycle studies.

Yes, the Prometheus (Callosamia promethea) in the video above feeds on Sassafras, at least in Michigan. Their cocoons are easily found on these trees, if the local population is stable with its host tree.

Gift from Australia Blue Cracker Butterfly
red-cracker-blue-butterfly.jpg

0b462cb8a1a74c3e7fad1a035c7bccbd--blue-butterfly-butterfly-wings.jpg
th

th
th

More Blue Parthenos Sylvia, a Mylasian resident
upload_2019-4-26_8-34-36.jpeg
th

th
th

upload_2019-4-26_8-37-24.jpeg
th

Saw one of these at the Houston Cockrell Butterfly Center Thought I'd died and gone to Heaven. *sigh*

If the center at Houston has Parthenos sylvia, the host plants are:

Adenia palmata (Passifloraceae), A. penangiana, Tinospora cordifolia (Menispermaceae, Moonseed), and an unidentified member of the Cucurbitaceae. It seems possible that the P. sylvia was reared in Texas and could be reared elsewhere under proper conditions. While not the actual species of Adenia, one Adenia species has activity against neuroblastoma brain-cancer cells at an extremely low dose, which is pharmaceutically significant..

Badger2, you are amazing. The butterfly center in Houston that I love so is a 4-story glass edifice containing a lot of exotic plants and many more butterflies than I could ever name. So butterflies are curing people with cancer? I read something you said about that the other day. I'm just awed. Which one does in lung cancer? If there is one, that is.

These butterflies and moths feed on documented anti-cancer plants, though it's not the quite the same thing as humans taking the refined chemistry for cancer. To study these associations should yield information that can be useful to cancer medicine. For example for lung cancer, suggested is etoposide from mayapple, Podophyllum sp., and one moth has already been mentioned, Papaipema cerina. Humans developing drug resistance to etoposide would then compare with P. cerina's ability to develop an immunity to the poison (etoposide) a desensitization against the etoposide. But what else might etoposide afford the moth? We think that one thing is resistance to UV irradiation, even though it is a night-flying moth. This protection chemistry may be easier to prove in butterflies, but both can be compared with radiotherapy-resistant cancers that develop in humans.

These butterflies and moths feed on documented anti-cancer plants, though it's not the quite the same thing as humans taking the refined chemistry for cancer. To study these associations should yield information that can be useful to cancer medicine. For example for lung cancer, suggested is etoposide from mayapple, Podophyllum sp., and one moth has already been mentioned, Papaipema cerina. Humans developing drug resistance to etoposide would then compare with P. cerina's ability to develop an immunity to the poison (etoposide) a desensitization against the etoposide. But what else might etoposide afford the moth? We think that one thing is resistance to UV irradiation, even though it is a night-flying moth. This protection chemistry may be easier to prove in butterflies, but both can be compared with radiotherapy-resistant cancers that develop in humans.
Wow, the golden borer moth is one I'd not run across recently anyway. Papaipema cerina - Will go checking out bing some more.

Papaipema-cerina-9-17-11-12.jpg

upload_2019-4-30_19-43-21.jpeg
th
th

golden_borer_03.jpg

upload_2019-4-30_19-47-55.jpeg

Thanks for these nice shots of P. cerina. Its first host plants are grasses, and 200 seeds of Elymus hystrix (= Hystrix patula) are now in seed pots germinating. Another P. cerina host plant, mayapple (Podophyllum), 10 seeds of which have been placed in the refrigerator for 12 weeks to break dormancy, after which they will be planted in 70 degrees F potting soil for germination. Mayapples are now for sale at some nurseries. The adult moths in Wisconsin fly from Sept to Oct and are attracted to black-lights. It is not known if they can be attracted to sugar baits.

Bottlebrush Grass, Elymus hystrix
illinoiswildflowers.info/grasses/plants/bottlebrush.htm

Also on bottlebrush grass is Northern Pearly Eye, Enodia anthedon
Northern Pearly-eye Enodia anthedon A.H. Clark, 1936 | Butterflies and Moths of North America

Thanks for these nice shots of P. cerina. Its first host plants are grasses, and 200 seeds of Elymus hystrix (= Hystrix patula) are now in seed pots germinating. Another P. cerina host plant, mayapple (Podophyllum), 10 seeds of which have been placed in the refrigerator for 12 weeks to break dormancy, after which they will be planted in 70 degrees F potting soil for germination. Mayapples are now for sale at some nurseries. The adult moths in Wisconsin fly from Sept to Oct and are attracted to black-lights. It is not known if they can be attracted to sugar baits.

Bottlebrush Grass, Elymus hystrix
illinoiswildflowers.info/grasses/plants/bottlebrush.htm

Also on bottlebrush grass is Northern Pearly Eye, Enodia anthedon
Northern Pearly-eye Enodia anthedon A.H. Clark, 1936 | Butterflies and Moths of North America
Maple syrup is slightly sweeter than sugar and has phytonutrients for humans that is said to protect the brain. I think if you mashed a banana and poured a little maple syrup into the mix, you could paint it on a white wall and get a bunch of really nice moths if you picked a tree they especially like. But I'm not a moth. What do I know except the rudiments of a college nutrition I couldn't wait to see what was in the next chapter. I wonder what would happen if it was placed on a floral fabric sheet hung by a bright outdoor night light? I became addicted to maple syrup after visiting Vermont and New Hampshire in their season of spectacularly-colored trees. Oh, bananas contain a large degree of potassium, the mineral that eases muscular pain of those with chronic pain of Good wishes in your mission to learn and know moths and their secrets. Phytonutrients are famous for extending the years on people's lifes, in a way I am sure nutritional scientists are still finding out which phytonutrient does what. If I want to know what a plant does, I look up the plant's medicinal use on Bing! search. Badger, you've added a whole new realm to what butterflies do. Someday they'll be calling you the father of Lepidoptera studies. :)

There were many previous fathers of lepidoptera studies, and W.J. Holland (The Moth Book), had a recipe for sugaring that contained molasses, brown sugar and stale beer. If one knew adult flight times, it would be interesting to attempt to attract Dryocampa rubicunda, because one of its host plants is sugar maple (Acer saccharinum), beer, maple syrup, bananas, etc.

Dryocampa rubicunda
mothphotographersgroup.msstate.edu/species.php?hodgers=7715

The mayapple-lung cancer connection is also for Striped Hairstreak, Satyrium liparops, and for those who live in the West, a map is provided here that shows occurrence in east Texas, which would align with the populations of mayapple in that state:

Striped Hairstreak, Satyrium liparops
Striped Hairstreak Satyrium liparops (Leconte, 1833) | Butterflies and Moths of North America
(Click on circles to view slides)

This hairstreak also is found on Salix (willow), Amelanchier, Betula, Carya, Crataegus, Malus (apple), Prunus (plum), Liquidambar (sweetgum), and Carpinus.

Oh, I'm trying to recuperate from loving all those rosy maple moths that I've loved pictures of for years, but never have seen one up close here in Walker County, TX. My grandmother, Mattie (Rawlinson) Shurtleff, made Mayhaw jelly from the Mayhaw trees every year, because some of her sisters and brothers, the Rawlinsons clan lived near Cushing, where my mother was born, in East Texas. There are a lot of Mayhaw trees thereabouts. I think they lived in Nacogdoches County where the family produced 27 Rawlinson brothers and sisters, 22 of whom made it to adulthood. My grandmother was the second youngest, and she lived to be 97 years old. She never had cancer, either. I think the other name for the Mayhaw tree her family had a bunch of is Mayapple. Tell me, badger2, does the occurrence of lung cancer decrease in areas where the Mayapple tree in East Texas, or is it the other way around? I tried to plant a Mayhaw tree here in Walker County (2 hours south of Nacogdoches County), but it didn't do very well. A couple of years later, I found a tree in its stead that was small, and had a similar leaf, but in 5 years, it has never once produced anything remotely resembling a flower.
But it's now about 6 or 7 feet tall, and I'm not even sure it came up from the roots of the tree I planted. One thing I did not inherit was a youth spent on an East TX farm like Grandma Shurtleff, although as a kid, I got to go with Grandma and Grandpa Shurtleff up to the All-Day Singings in Looneyville, near Nacogdoches/Cushing. It was totally fun. Grandpa was a minister's son, and he knew just everybody and could sing all their gospel songs in any key with his "5-octave-range" voice. So thanks for the memory trip in mentioning the Mayapple, I hadn't thought about that stuff in years. :)

I love that little hairstreak buttefly, but if there are any here, I have seen pictures of them, but they just don't come around and wave any flags to announce their precious presence. I've seen a lot of pictures of them in some of my books, who knows. I might have seen one 5 or 6 years ago, just not too sure. I may have to go back up to East Texas one of these days to seek a tree, aren't they supposed to only grow near a bog or something? Well, I can water the ground, and the unknown tree that came up in the vicinity of where I'd planted a Mayhaw tree seems to like the well-watered ground I put it in. This land is odd. I have 3 or 4 places out front where it's moist through June, but the second-third year I moved back to Texas after 45 years, we had that horrible drought year where it was so hot fires just ignited everywhere from Texarkana to Brownsville, if memory served me right. One day in 2011, I went outside and there were fire columns 7 in a 360 degree circle. I got on that tractor and mowed fence 30' out from every boundary fence I had, in case a neighbor had a fire. Oh, my goodness I was gonna see if you had left a message here, and there were 3. Thanks, badger2, I'll try to get some pictures up but today's going to busy, so it may be another day before I get back here. See if I can find some stuff on other websites. I really loved the 2 of your posts, and will also try to check out that middle one. I have to use all the strategies I've forgotten about the internet, because I took a few years off to mourn my husband's death, and he was ill for 2 years before that, which kept me offline due to he had the kind of dementia where he would hop in the car and go till the gas ran out on the worst days, and he and the car would disappear for every other night after I fell asleep. Friends would tell me they say him out "often" around midnight. I used to sleep like a log. I had to be vigilant, too, because the training nurses who we hired to watch him at night turned out not to be very vigilant and would instead of watching over him, fall asleep for several hours of each shift. blech. It was terrible, so the last 6 months or so of his life, I was the chef, cop, incarceration officer, janitor, and bottlewasher. lol One day, he fell asleep while we were watching videos, and he never woke up. I couldn't do anything more purposeful than make quilts for the next 2 years, and mow our animalless farmstead. Instead, I've watched several great white egrets raise families out there on my little manmade lake, Trees fall due to overmowing, and in general, do stupid stuff since I was raised in a city, not on a farm. I buy those
Farmer's Almanacs every year, but get to busy mowing and sewing to pay attention to them, and to water my little fledgling unknown tree, hoping its a Mayapple that will have flowers sometime. :( This would have been the year because it rained all through the winter every day for 7 months, and it looks like rain today after the longest 2 day stretch of clear skies. I mowed all day yesterday, and ate a couple of dozen little east-Texas blackberries. They were sure tart for all that rain we had. Only about 3 of them were sweet, from the vine that produces the largest berries. Lordy, what a long-winded post. Sorry.

Mayhaw is a problematic common name. Do you mean mayapple? What is mayhaw's scientific name? Mayapple (Podophyllum) is not a tree, it's a plant . I was just speaking with a cancer doctor this morning and when I mentioned etoposide he said lung cancer. Yes, mayapple (source of etoposide) use links strongly to lung cancer therapeutics. Did any of the family eat mayapples or use any part of the plant? All parts seem toxic, though the "apples" themselves may have been boiled in the past. The etoposide (a podophyllotoxin) would be located in the roots of the mayapple,which roots are extremely toxic. People may have used the apple itself for food or medicine. In other words, it's not known for sure that other active constituents can act as cancer preventive agents.

Identify a local Walker County tree: boxelder (Acer negundo). That is also a host tree for the rosy maple moth, and should be abundant in Walker County. If one knew when the moths local flight occurred in those dotted counties on the map, one could maybe use black lights to attract them, sugar baits may not work unless they feed as adults (there is still their olfactory sense that could attract them to maple-like volatiles). If you plant a row of boxelder or other maples, they could serve to establish your own colony of them. Maps can be wrong, though they can strip maple trees if the population gets too large.

People no longer use mayapples as they did in the past, so the question of lung cancer demographics can't be answered. If there was folk use of the plant, it was likely used to remove warts, with the exception of some Indians:

Mayapple / Penobscot Indians
Mayapple - Lung Cancer - Pharmacological Sciences

Mayhaw is a problematic common name. Do you mean mayapple? What is mayhaw's scientific name? Mayapple (Podophyllum) is not a tree, it's a plant . I was just speaking with a cancer doctor this morning and when I mentioned etoposide he said lung cancer. Yes, mayapple (source of etoposide) use links strongly to lung cancer therapeutics. Did any of the family eat mayapples or use any part of the plant? All parts seem toxic, though the "apples" themselves may have been boiled in the past. The etoposide (a podophyllotoxin) would be located in the roots of the mayapple,which roots are extremely toxic. People may have used the apple itself for food or medicine. In other words, it's not known for sure that other active constituents can act as cancer preventive agents.

Identify a local Walker County tree: boxelder (Acer negundo). That is also a host tree for the rosy maple moth, and should be abundant in Walker County. If one knew when the moths local flight occurred in those dotted counties on the map, one could maybe use black lights to attract them, sugar baits may not work unless they feed as adults (there is still their olfactory sense that could attract them to maple-like volatiles). If you plant a row of boxelder or other maples, they could serve to establish your own colony of them. Maps can be wrong, though they can strip maple trees if the population gets too large.

People no longer use mayapples as they did in the past, so the question of lung cancer demographics can't be answered. If there was folk use of the plant, it was likely used to remove warts, with the exception of some Indians:

Mayapple / Penobscot Indians
Mayapple - Lung Cancer - Pharmacological Sciences
Thank you, badger2. The Mayhaw tree is small as I understand it to be, and thrives in bogs. We don't have some bogs down here in Walker County, but not like those in and around Nacogdoches. Grandma only used the small apple-like fruits to cook and make into "mayhaw jelly." I really don't know, the Mayapple could well be a different specie, so maybe I better go do a little research. The jelly was very nice and by comparison to apple jelly, was rather sprightly good, not bland like the jelly made from apples, and the jelly also was a little pinker than the golden tone apple jellies take. BRB.

Article: New World Food
I found a picture of a mature mayhaw tree (which may have been pruned for picking purposes, I don't know for sure) and its fruit.
mayhaw+tree.jpg

Map of mayhaw country (darkened)
imgres-4.jpeg
< Grandma's jelly was a lighter reddish color than this jar.

The article says:
The word mayhaw is actually short for "May Hawthorn." I confess that when I was a kid, I thought the word must be a Native word...not so much it turns out. The Latin botanical designations are Crataegus aestivalis and C. opaca, which are officially known as "Eastern May Hawthorn" and "Western Mayhaw" respectively. Both are closely related species or the great Rosacae family....yeah ROSES! In fact, these "berries" look like and are actually large rose hips (last year I posted a Harvest Season bit on hips, that post can be found here). Also in the family are Apples. Most Hawthorn trees have serious thorns on them, just like most roses, but the May species really love water. In their native range, they are often found growing by small streams in the wild; although they are frequently cultivated and successfully cultivated away from a running water source. The mature fruits look exactly between a rose hip and apple.

I think this is a different tree than your mayapple plant. Sorry, I knew that the Mayhaw fruit was related to apples, but not as well as above ^^^.

When I saw the word "mayapple," I thought it was just a variation of location in a different area than Mayhaws, which are quite limited in scope to the middle southeast US. Pardon my bad memory. Grandma (born, 1899) died when she was 98(?) in 1996, I think. I just remember I wish I'd been closer to her, she might have made it to be 100. We lived in Wyoming at the time but came back to Texas in 2009, to be close to my younger sister, who had cancer. I wanted to be near at hand if she needed me. Bless her sweet heart.

Now, I'm going to look up May apples. :)

Mayapple, Podophylum peltatum, I counted 7 petals per flower on the several pictures I saw on bing images search engine.
th
th
th

th
th
th

th

Forum List

Back