Lepidoptera Lovers: Butterfly Kisses

freedombecki

Let's go swimmin'!
May 3, 2011
My house
Butterflies and moths are like the beautiful flowers of the Animal Kingdom. This thread is for sharing photos, facts, and inspirational sightings of any member of the Lepidoptera family.

I'll start with a specie in my favorite color: Lysandra bellargus. (Adonis Blue)

adonis.gif

Credits: Kent, UK dot gov

In the book, A World of Butterflies, text by Brian Cassie, 2004, Chanticleer Press, p. 60. it says: "The Adonis Blue is one of many species of blues that is closely attended by ants during its larval stage. The ants feed on sweet secretions from the larvae's honeydew glands and they provide the immature insects with a measure of protection from predators. Adonis Blue caterpillars, which feed openly during the day, are almost always found in the company of ants. At times the ants even protect them at night by covering them over with a layer of soil."

I have the book in my private library at home. It's a small hardcover that has full-page sized butterfly photographs by photographer Kjell Sandved.

Last edited:
Lepidoptera, Bombyx mori (Silk Moth)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJaEPMRcKCo&hd=1"]‪[/ame]

Butterflies and moths are like the beautiful flowers of the Animal Kingdom. This thread is for sharing photos, facts, and inspirational sightings of any member of the Lepidoptera family.

I'll start with a specie in my favorite color: Lysandra bellargus. (Adonis Blue)

In the book, A World of Butterflies, text by Brian Cassie, 2004, Chanticleer Press, p. 60. it says: "The Adonis Blue is one of many species of blues that is closely attended by ants during its larval stage. The ants feed on sweet secretions from the larvae's honeydew glands and they provide the immature insects with a measure of protection from predators. Adonis Blue caterpillars, which feed openly during the day, are almost always found in the company of ants. At times the ants even protect them at night by covering them over with a layer of soil."

I have the book in my private library at home. It's a small hardcover that has full-page sized butterfly photographs by photographer Kjell Sandved.

I remember when I was a kid in Long Beach, the monarch's would be every ware. All over the walls, windows us.

Not a butterfly but awesome nonetheless.

Actias luna

Attachments

• $index.jpg
    $index.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 314
Love monarchs. And I get to see plenty of them during their migration. Can't see any leaves on the eucalyptus trees at all. It's nothing but butterflies.

Not a butterfly but awesome nonetheless.

Actias luna

The luna moth is though, Lepidoptera, and aren't they fabulous? My first sighting was at the age of 14 in the town of Bruni, TX, east of Laredo. I also saw one in 1970 at Casper, Wyoming. Those beautiful creatures have a real range.

I didn't know it could be done either until I ran across a butterfly that needed help. Then I went to youtube to see if it was possible and found that one :)

Hey, freedom

Since you seem to be an expert on the prettiest of insects (hands down) maybe you can answer me this question (couldn't find anything on the net):

People say the prettier a butterfly is the harder it is to catch her. Is there any truth to this story? :confused: :confused:

The campus I work at just built a butterfly garden in the center(I thought it was an old English garden as overgrown as it was). Can't wait for fall, I was told we're in the Monarch migration path...

This kid gets to keep her A
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEScMuG5cOM&feature=related]‪Sienna's Morpho Butterfly Documentary‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

José;3864844 said:
Hey, freedom

Since you seem to be an expert on the prettiest of insects (hands down) maybe you can answer me this question (couldn't find anything on the net):

People say the prettier a butterfly is the harder it is to catch her. Is there any truth to this story? :confused: :confused:

I don't know. This could be misinformation, but I was reading back some time ago if you pick up a butterfly, you could somehow damage its ability to fly right due to rearranging powdery chemicals on its wings. I've never read such a thing since, but since that time, I see one and just enjoy it flitting about, wherever it chooses, and if it chooses in front of my path, that's a good thing. If not, I just enjoyed the glimpse of a sweet, short gift.

It might or might not be true, but it gave me an attitude I've abided by since.

:)

Forum List

Back