Legalize Drugs, Why?

And yet drug related deaths are something COMPLETELY WITHIN OUR ABILITY TO CONTROL! We can't prevent wars. We can't prevent accidents, but we can prevent those and you just blissfully ignore that simple fact!

Wow, just wow.

Are you guys so naive to think that criminals are going to stop being criminals simply because you take away their cash crops? As you noted, it didn't stop the Mafia. Eventually they will just move on to the next illegal activity to facilitate their cartels. Where does it stop? This magical fantasyland were we end all crime by legalizing drugs is just that.

We can't stop wars, but we can stop are eagerness to get into useless wars.

How many people were killed in Chicago when Prohibition was in effect? How many were killed when it was lifted? The numbers are astounding. I will let you look them up so they have a stronger impact.

No, legalization won't end it, but it will significantly reduce the pain and suffering of complete innocents by a huge amount.

Heroin is much more addictive and much easier to overdose on.

It's also not deemed to be socially acceptable.

One reason prohibition was a disaster was that alcohol had previously been legal and was used by many Americans before they decided to make it illegal. Therefore, there was a huge demand for the product when it became illegal. While all illegal substances generate demand, the relative scope compared to alcohol is much smaller. That is why organized crime boomed. It was just the fact that something was made illegal. It was the fact that something a large portion of the society used was made illegal.

Furthermore, making alcohol illegal was a change from the status quo.

What good does it do our society to change the current status quo?

Ding, ding, ding!!!

The same argument you just made for alcohol and social acceptance can be made for drugs like pot and cocaine. You are aware that cocaine was an ingredient in a good number of products sold across the counter aren't you? There was no social stigma associated with cocaine until it was made illegal. People accepted it, used it and wanted it. Making it illegal was a change from the status quo.

snopes.com: Cocaine in Coca-Cola

And are you aware that ingesting cocaine completely changes it's pharmacological properties relative to snorting or inhaling it? If you apply cocaine locally, it's an anesthetic. If you give it direct access to your brain, it's a stimulant. Even if cocaine gave the exact same "high" by being ingested orally (it doesn't), you would have to ingest a much higher quantity of it to account for first pass metabolism by the liver before the drug got to the blood stream and then the brain compared to snorting it or smoking it.

So people who got cocaine in Coca Cola weren't exactly doing it for the same reasons that people use it for today.

There's a reason it's called pepsi

You're correct. Alcohol kills far more people then all the other drugs combined save for the gang violence that accompanies them. Eliminate the gang violence and all the other drugs have much less impact on society than alcohol does.

Right. This is simple statistics. The number of people using alcohol dwarfs the number of people using illegal drugs.

We haven't even touched the aspects of the law that would be affected aside from criminalization.

How many people who die from alcohol each year do so because of a car crash?

By the same logic, if we just legalized drunk driving, that number would drop to zero!

Almost every heroin overdose is directly due to the user not knowing the strength of the dose he or she is injecting. With purity and dose size regulated and labeled the biggest drug killer of all drug killers would be eliminated.

How many people were killed in Chicago when Prohibition was in effect? How many were killed when it was lifted? The numbers are astounding. I will let you look them up so they have a stronger impact.

Again; the explosion of violent crime as a result of prohibition was a different circumstance for reasons I've already listed (previously legal substance that a lot of people used (thus had a high demand) being made illegal).

While some facets of the current "prohibition" apply, it's not the same thing.

No, legalization won't end it, but it will significantly reduce the pain and suffering of complete innocents by a huge amount.

I disagree. Enabling addiction isn't going to do any favors for the innocent people who are in the span of destruction of an addict.

So riddle me this. Almost all drugs were legal up till the 1960's..did this country fall apart from that? What was the level of violent crime that was solely drug related? What was the incarceration rate of non-violent offendors? Criminologists know that 80% of all violent crime is committed by 7% of the criminal population, we have to let those animals out of jail to keep no-violent drug offendors in.

Does that make any kind of logical sense to you?

Society changed. What doesn't make logical sense to me is changing to laws to try and undercut crime.

I understand where you guys are going with your argument. I just disagree with your conclusions.

You are more focused on the criminal aspect of the matter and I am more focused on what the substances do to their users.

Are you guys so naive to think that criminals are going to stop being criminals simply because you take away their cash crops? As you noted, it didn't stop the Mafia. Eventually they will just move on to the next illegal activity to facilitate their cartels. Where does it stop? This magical fantasyland were we end all crime by legalizing drugs is just that.
It won't end all crime, obviously, however it may take a sizable chunk out of it. If people can purchase whatever drug they wish without legal repercussions, what incentive do they have to purchase it from some seedy character in a back alley?

I'm sure the CIA wouldn't care for such legalization. That would impinge upon their own drug-running profits.

Last edited:
Almost every heroin overdose is directly due to the user not knowing the strength of the dose he or she is injecting. With purity and dose size regulated and labeled the biggest drug killer of all drug killers would be eliminated.

I agree with that, I just don't think that preventing heroin deaths due to the fact that the dosage and potency is a variable with street drugs is an indication to legalize it.

In fact, we have tried to address this issue with methadone. It didn't really work.

You're correct. Alcohol kills far more people then all the other drugs combined save for the gang violence that accompanies them. Eliminate the gang violence and all the other drugs have much less impact on society than alcohol does.

Right. This is simple statistics. The number of people using alcohol dwarfs the number of people using illegal drugs.

We haven't even touched the aspects of the law that would be affected aside from criminalization.

By the same logic, if we just legalized drunk driving, that number would drop to zero!

you are retarded

It won't end all crime, obviously, however it will take a sizable chunk out of it. If people can purchase whatever drug they wish without legal repercussions, what incentive do they have to purchase it from some seedy character in a back alley?

None. However, I am not at all convinced that making heroin as available as coors light will do us any favors.

Again, I agree it will reduce crime. It will also make a lot of addicts out of people who would have otherwise never have touched the stuff.

As it stands, criminal violence will always be with us. The money is in the crime side of the equation. The product is just what is being sold.

There are plenty of congressman, governors, Military commanders, professional athletes, doctors and lawyers who are alcoholics, how many heroin addicts are in prominent positions? heroin addicts may be do ok as Rock Stars or something but what else can they do?

there have been plenty of high functioning drug addicts in positions of responsibility

That's somewhat analogous to saying that "there have been plenty of high function autistic people".

However, I think we can all agree that it's a better hand to not be autistic.

absolutely, but there is no choice involved in either scenario.

i think decriminalization would eliminate a lot, perhaps most, of the violence that surrounds illegal drug use. there is also the "forbidden fruit" aspect that attracts some kids to drugs. keeping addicts in the medical system and out of the penal system would also benefit society, imo.

Good point.

i think decriminalization would eliminate a lot, perhaps most, of the violence that surrounds illegal drug use. there is also the "forbidden fruit" aspect that attracts some kids to drugs. keeping addicts in the medical system and out of the penal system would also benefit society, imo.

I agree that treatment is much more desirable than incarceration. I wish we would try that approach first.

My issue with the ordeal is this: heroin is highly addictive. It's potential to create addicts is much higher than everything else but cigarettes. Now, if you legalize it and remove the societal stigma around the matter, we are going to have a lot of people who are addicted to heroin then would have otherwise been.

In other words, I agree with the forbidden fruit theory. I think it works both ways. I think plenty of people will never try heroin simply because it is illegal and the consequences outweigh the risk.

I see no benefit to our society in making it legal.

I understand the larger libertarian argument being made by that crowd, I just don't buy into that particular line of logic. As I am consistent, I also support public schools.

I also understand the people who are arguing that it will reduce crime. I agree it will reduce violent crime. But at what cost?

Good point.

I agree that treatment is much more desirable than incarceration. I wish we would try that approach first.

My issue with the ordeal is this: heroin is highly addictive. It's potential to create addicts is much higher than everything else but cigarettes. Now, if you legalize it and remove the societal stigma around the matter, we are going to have a lot of people who are addicted to heroin then would have otherwise been.

In other words, I agree with the forbidden fruit theory. I think it works both ways. I think plenty of people will never try heroin simply because it is illegal and the consequences outweigh the risk.

I understand the larger libertarian argument being made by that crowd, I just don't buy into that particular line of logic. As I am consistent, I also support public schools.

I also understand the people who are arguing that it will reduce crime. I agree it will reduce violent crime. But at what cost?

i don't think that legalizing/decriminalizing it would remove the societal stigma. cigarette smoking is legal and has been stigmatized nonetheless.

Now you're just being silly. Drunk driving is illegal in every state of the union and yet over 25,000 per year are killed so those laws are real effective aren't they? Don't resort to silliness to try and prove a bad point.

Good point.

i don't think that legalizing/decriminalizing it would remove the societal stigma. cigarette smoking is legal and has been stigmatized nonetheless.

Yes, but it took a lot of cancer/COPD deaths before there was a stigma.

On that note, I find it interesting that more teens are smoking MJ now as opposed to cigarettes. On the one hand, you could use that point to argue the making something illegal makes it more illegal. However, on the other hand you could argue that society, as a whole, is recognizing the harm of smoking and that is why less teens are doing it. Probably a little bit of both.

Then again, MJ isn't addictive (I don't buy the arguement of "psychologically addictive"). Amphetamines, opiates, and cocaine/crack are.

I think legalizing it will cause a massive boom of people experimenting with drugs they wouldn't have otherwise been exposed too. The problem is, there isn't really a large window to experiment with these substances.

Exactly!

Forum List

Back