Left Behind, Tribulation Force, Nicolae...

clumzgirl

Mar 27, 2004
ohio
As some of you know, I've been reading the "Left Behind" series by Jenkins and LaHay about the rapture and tribulation period before the "Great Appearing." I'm on the 3rd book now, "Nicolae: The Rise of the AntiChrist."

As I said before, some crazy, scary stuff!

Before this, I had never read Revalation, and I don't remember EVER hearing about any of this in church, except for the perfunctory phrase in the Apostle's Creed, "Christ will come again the judge the living and the dead."

Do your churches discuss it? I kind of thought only fringe, holy-roller, Bible-thumping churches (and I don't mean that to be offensive--seriously) ever brought up stuff like the 4 horses of the Apocolypse.

What have been your experiences?

clumzgirl said:
As some of you know, I've been reading the "Left Behind" series by Jenkins and LaHay about the rapture and tribulation period before the "Great Appearing." I'm on the 3rd book now, "Nicolae: The Rise of the AntiChrist."

As I said before, some crazy, scary stuff!

Before this, I had never read Revalation, and I don't remember EVER hearing about any of this in church, except for the perfunctory phrase in the Apostle's Creed, "Christ will come again the judge the living and the dead."

Do your churches discuss it? I kind of thought only fringe, holy-roller, Bible-thumping churches (and I don't mean that to be offensive--seriously) ever brought up stuff like the 4 horses of the Apocolypse.

What have been your experiences?

I have read the entire series and I have read and studied Revelations. Some might think it is all fringe, but that is only because they are in denial.

The four horsemen, the Whore of Babylon, etc. are all metaphors for actual events, people, etc. that are to occur.

Now many will say it is all bunk, but other prophecies have been correct, so why would only some be right and others not?

I have read up on this stuff a lot, so if you have any questions, you can PM me. If I can't help, there are some sites I can refer you to that might be able to.

freeandfun1 said:
I have read the entire series and I have read and studied Revelations. Some might think it is all fringe, but that is only because they are in denial.

The four horsemen, the Whore of Babylon, etc. are all metaphors for actual events, people, etc. that are to occur.

Now many will say it is all bunk, but other prophecies have been correct, so why would only some be right and others not?

I have read up on this stuff a lot, so if you have any questions, you can PM me. If I can't help, there are some sites I can refer you to that might be able to.

I believe that Revelations does in fact foretell the end of the world.

Where I have a problem is with those who seek to interpret current events and pronounce that the end of the world is at hand. THOSE are the folks I ignore. By and large, they're idiots. I have noticed that frequently those who preach that the end of the world is at hand are old codgers with not too many days left to walk the planet. I think it's a misery loves company kind of thing. They figure that they don't have long to live and that everyone else should check out when they do either that or perhaps people start getting a little morbid when confronted with their own mortality.

I do not believe that there is any way we can know which events herald the end of the world. Certainly there were lots of predictions of that nature during WWII. Just as there is a new crop of "phrophets" who pronounce that the Asian tsunami is a precursor.

Merlin1047 said:
I believe that Revelations does in fact foretell the end of the world.

Where I have a problem is with those who seek to interpret current events and pronounce that the end of the world is at hand. THOSE are the folks I ignore. By and large, they're idiots. I have noticed that frequently those who preach that the end of the world is at hand are old codgers with not too many days left to walk the planet. I think it's a misery loves company kind of thing. They figure that they don't have long to live and that everyone else should check out when they do either that or perhaps people start getting a little morbid when confronted with their own mortality.

I do not believe that there is any way we can know which events herald the end of the world. Certainly there were lots of predictions of that nature during WWII. Just as there is a new crop of "phrophets" who pronounce that the Asian tsunami is a precursor.

Ah, but before WWII, there was no nation of Israel.

The Bible clearly says (I paraphrase) that those that are looking will see....

There are clear indicators in the Bible of things that will occur that will let us know the 7 year trib is coming.

So are we in the endtimes now, according to the Bible? Who is the major candidate for the antichrist? Many of the religious left put forward Bush, I think as the wolf in sheeps clothing type of character.

In the Greek, the word "anti" doesn't just mean "against." It also contains the meanings "equivalent to" or "a substitute for." Nero was anti-Christ because he falsely claimed to be God. The idea of deception is crucial. The Antichrist isn't the devil, the opposite of God. He's an evil human masquerading as a golden god. The Antichrist appears to humanity not as the hideous Beast but as handsome Nicolae Carpathia, who resembles Robert Redford without the facial erosion. "That could be our next Republican president," quips Lang.

http://www.seattleweekly.com/features/0449/041208_news_antichrist.php

Does the right have a candidate, and if so, how did they arrive at it?

Religious studies are something of a hobby of mine, so I am always interested in these kinds of things.

oxbow3 said:
So are we in the endtimes now, according to the Bible? Who is the major candidate for the antichrist? Many of the religious left put forward Bush, I think as the wolf in sheeps clothing type of character.

Now way. If there is an antichrist out there right now, it's GOT to be Hillary Clinton.

Check her hairline for that number if you get the chance.

I'm not much for the religion threads, but all that's coming to mind for me is, 'You shall not know the hour or the day. . ." or something like that. Don't blame me, I'm Catholic.

In the Greek, the word "anti" doesn't just mean "against." It also contains the meanings "equivalent to" or "a substitute for." Nero was anti-Christ because he falsely claimed to be God. The idea of deception is crucial. The Antichrist isn't the devil, the opposite of God. He's an evil human masquerading as a golden god. The Antichrist appears to humanity not as the hideous Beast but as handsome Nicolae Carpathia, who resembles Robert Redford without the facial erosion. "That could be our next Republican president," quips Lang.

this sure sounds like bill clinton to me

Kathianne said:
I'm not much for the religion threads, but all that's coming to mind for me is, 'You shall not know the hour or the day. . ." or something like that. Don't blame me, I'm Catholic.

Nobody is saying we will know the hour or the day, but we will be able to see the signs that point to the coming AC, tribulations and the eventual return of Christ on earth.

oxbow3 said:

http://www.seattleweekly.com/features/0449/041208_news_antichrist.php

Does the right have a candidate, and if so, how did they arrive at it?

Religious studies are something of a hobby of mine, so I am always interested in these kinds of things.

From my readings, he will have to be of Assyrian blood (it could be from 1000 years or so ago though - he doesn't have to be from their now).

I don't think the AC will be anybody that is well known to us today. He will likely come from within the EU (the revived Roman Empire). The False Prophet that assists him will likely be a religious leader that pushes for a One World Religion.

There is a lot of interesting reading on-line about it all and I find it very intriguing. Are we in the end times today? Who knows but G-d. However, I do know there are certain signs we can look for that will trumpet the coming of the AC and many of them have been fulfilled.

Doesn't it say that he will come out of Babylon? Some people I've talked to interpret that as Iraq, some as America. The latter consider America the new Babylon, the powerful nation that exerts its influence over others, the place where sin has overtaken the people, etc..

Myself, I think of antichrist in more of a new age way I guess, where babylon and the antichrist is a state of being. The dark, animalistic part of man is what could destroy the world, and so the Bible is talking about this in reference to the anti-Christ.

Christ stood for love and sacrifice. The anti-Christ is everything in us contradictory to that state.

oxbow3 said:
Doesn't it say that he will come out of Babylon? Some people I've talked to interpret that as Iraq, some as America. The latter consider America the new Babylon, the powerful nation that exerts its influence over others, the place where sin has overtaken the people, etc..

Myself, I think of antichrist in more of a new age way I guess, where babylon and the antichrist is a state of being. The dark, animalistic part of man is what could destroy the world, and so the Bible is talking about this in reference to the anti-Christ.

Christ stood for love and sacrifice. The anti-Christ is everything in us contradictory to that state.

I too prefer a more symbolic interpetation .

oxbow3 said:

yes, but there is many that also believe Babylon is the - sorry, not trying to start a fight anybody, just offering a view some hold - the Catholic Church which they believe will be working closely with the Revived Roman Empire (EU). That is the modern day thinking anyway.

I understand your desire to think of the AC, etc. as being symbolic, but there are too many prophecies that have come to fruition to make me believe that it is just symbolism.

Here is what I think.

In Ezekial, G-d says that Syria will wage war on Israel three times and lose (that has happened), but that in the fourth war, Damascus will be made a ruinous heap where no man may live. So watch for anther war between Israel and Syria and if Damascus gets nuked, you know you just might want to start learning more.

It also says that Gog/Magog (many believe this is Russia) will attack Israel along with several Muslim nations but that miraculously, none of the weapons will work..... anyway, I have to go, but I like talking about this stuff, so I will try to catch up later.

freeandfun1 said:
yes, but there is many that also believe Babylon is the - sorry, not trying to start a fight anybody, just offering a view some hold - the Catholic Church which they believe will be working closely with the Revived Roman Empire (EU). That is the modern day thinking anyway.

I understand your desire to think of the AC, etc. as being symbolic, but there are too many prophecies that have come to fruition to make me believe that it is just symbolism.

Here is what I think.

In Ezekial, G-d says that Syria will wage war on Israel three times and lose (that has happened), but that in the fourth war, Damascus will be made a ruinous heap where no man may live. So watch for anther war between Israel and Syria and if Damascus gets nuked, you know you just might want to start learning more.

It also says that Gog/Magog (many believe this is Russia) will attack Israel along with several Muslim nations but that miraculously, none of the weapons will work..... anyway, I have to go, but I like talking about this stuff, so I will try to catch up later.

Hey Free, no offense taken. I live in Wheaton, home of one, if not both of the writers. Home to Billy Graham College, aka Wheaton College. I'm used to this. . .

Kathianne said:
Hey Free, no offense taken. I live in Wheaton, home of one, if not both of the writers. Home to Billy Graham College, aka Wheaton College. I'm used to this. . .

I love pretrib analysis, I find it fascinating.

Said1 said:
I love pretrib analysis, I find it fascinating.

trust me, you would NOT find Wheaton fascinating. If the whole of US was like this, I'd move to Canada.

Forum List

Back