Georgia Evolution Stickers Ordered Removed

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by 5stringJeff, Jan 13, 2005.

1. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Can there be any doubt that the Left wants to impose evolution as their state-endorsed theory, and squash all debate on the issue? The government is doing America's youth a disservice by not even allowing the mention of alternate theories of our origin.

-------------------
    Ga. Evolution Stickers Ordered Removed
    By DOUG GROSS, Associated Press Writer

ATLANTA - A federal judge Thursday ordered a suburban Atlanta school system to remove stickers from its high school biology textbooks that call evolution "a theory, not a fact," saying the disclaimers are an unconstitutional endorsement of religion.

"By denigrating evolution, the school board appears to be endorsing the well-known prevailing alternative theory, creationism or variations thereof, even though the sticker does not specifically reference any alternative theories," U.S. District Judge Clarence Cooper said.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...u=/ap/20050113/ap_on_re_us/evolution_stickers

2. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

That judge can suck a big fat one...gosh...how such blatantly STUPID ppl can attain such a position is beyond me.

3. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    How did this happen in GEORGIA? I'm writing my state representatives.

4. Merlin

Merlin Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
  5. chagan

chagan Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is that really a problem in you eyes? Do you not know that there are other religions other than your own? The article says that in this girls' religion she is supposed to wear a headscarf. What if your relgion told you to do that, wouldn't you take it up with the civil rights group?

6. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    You have a point. I'm with you on this one.

7. Merlin

Merlin Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Well, right now in this particular time in my life, it is the biggest problem that I have. I'm not really sure how many religions there are in this world, but it really gets to me when they let one religion in our schools and not another. Letting children wear Muslim head scarves promotes religion a lot more than a short Prayer at the start of the school day. Most religions has a "REQUIREMENT" to pray, but ask a civil rights group to take on that issue and see what kind of anti American response you get.

8. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    chagan,

I think that the problem many are having is that we are allowing young muslim girls to wear headscarves (which i feel they should be allowed to do), we allow them private space to pray, some schools require that the children take on Muslim names and learn to pray to Allah as a required course in Understanding Islam...and yet...

Teacher's and Teacher's Aides are fired for wearing crosses around their necks to school. Teacher's are threatened with suspension because they have a Bible on their desk for their own private reading. Catholic teachers are told they can't teach with ashes on their foreheads. Etc. Etc. etc.

Why is it ok for one religion to outwardly demonstrate their faith...and not another? If we are a secular society, and our public schools should be devoid of advertising or condoning religion in anyway...then shouldn't the headscarves, which are CERTAINLY as overt (if not more so) and blatant a religious item be removed within public buildings. They could be a distraction to the children! The head scarves could cause students to question their own religion! They could cause children to want to become Muslim just so they can wear head coverings! The head scarves could cause students to feel uncomfortable and intimidate thus creating a negative environment for their learning and self-esteem!!! (All of these and more have been used in similar forms as reasons to persecute Christianity in public)

I think that the problem is not headscarves in school, but rather headscarves in school, yarmulkes in school, prayer allowed in school, religious education in school, EXCEPT if that religion happens to be Christian.

P.S. To the original topic: There are many scientists, reputable, non-kook scientists, who will go to bat for the fact that Evolution is a theory with many holes. Evolution is a theory with lots of un-answered questions. Evolution is a theory that you do not have to believe completely, that you are permitted to be skeptical about in part or in full...and that we really just don't know yet...

How is it endorsing a religion to let children know that? To let children know that, "Hey! Some people, many, infact, disagree with this idea, at least to some extent..."

Seems to me that NOT teaching our children that Evolution is not a "sacred" (pun certaininly intended) idea is the bigger crime here. In this nation we are raising generations of automatons, swallowing all ideas because it is unpopular to believe otherwise...even when a wave of evidence suggests that we still have a lot to learn about these "well-known ideas." (Evolution, Global Warming, Second-Hand Smoke, Recycling, etc.)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  9. menewa

menewa Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I find it bizarre that a sticker is needed to "warn" students that evolution is a theory. Of course it is a theory. When one comes across evolution in any textbook it is described as the theory of evolution, just like Einstein's theory of relativity. There is a difference between a theory and and a law, such as the laws of thermodynamics. This is all laid out in introductory science textbooks. While theories are not 100 percent, bonafied facts, they are very powerful pieces of scientifc research that have ample support and have not yet been proven untrue.

Having a disclaimer sticker like this simply undermines a science teacher's duty to teach students the difference between theories and law.

However, creationism deserves no place in science textbooks because it is based on no scientific evidence or research. It is tradition, not science.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    menewa,

you just hit upon EXACTLY why the sticker was placed on the book.

A bit of research on your part will dig up numerous scientists who have written papers and studies on why creationism, in one form or another, has just as much scientific "proof" as evolutionism.

You state that one "theory" has merit...and then instantaneously state that another "theory" does not. It might show that you, like so many people, have not read any of the non-Christian studies on the evidence supporting the concept of creationism...

My public high school taught evolution and non-Christian biased creationism theories side by side...it was fascinating, and very eye opening.

To not teach our children that there are numerous scientists who disagree from what is commonly accepted is a travesty of education. Education should be about examining every side that has merit...both evolution and creationism have merit and should be studied to have a firm grasp on what we know and what is still unknown.