Leak exposes how Heartland Institute works to undermine climate science

Too bad it was fake

:eusa_whistle:

Peter Gleick, really now
why anyone should trust Gleick’s scientific judgment if his judgment about how to deal with climate skeptics is so bad?
Too bad it wasn't fake.

It is a watered down version of this fundraising plan that Hartland admits is real and claim was stolen by Gleick. Actually Gleick pretended to be a board member and Hartland sent it to him themserlves! :lol:

http://www.shawnotto.com/downloads/heartland/(1-15-2012) 2012 Fundraising Plan.pdf

Just like Rather's fake docs

Sorry, it is fake
Truth is hard for the left
In fact, it is their worst enemy

Many commentators have critiqued Gleick’s actions, and in particular, have addressed the question whether at least one of the documents he published–the only significant one, really–was forged by him. Megan McArdle has done an especially good job in this respect. I am not sure whether she was the first person to raise the question of Gleick’s fake document, but she was certainly among the first.

Sorry, it is fake
Many commentators have critiqued Gleick’s actions, and in particular, have addressed the question whether at least one of the documents he published–the only significant one, really–was forged by him. Megan McArdle has done an especially good job in this respect. I am not sure whether she was the first person to raise the question of Gleick’s fake document, but she was certainly among the first.
And Blather paid the price for it.

Sorry, it is fake
WOW, an :asshole: gives an opinion and that proves the real memo was forged. Brilliant!

The Real memo was ANALYZED and found to most likely to have been written by Joe Bast the president of Hartland.

Shawn Lawrence Otto | The most likely author of the Heartland Institute climate strategy memo?

Anthony Watts, one of the climate deniers the Heartland documents show is slated to receive tens of thousands of dollars in support from Heartland this year, has suggested that the document was forged by Gleick after he got the other documents. This seems improbable, considering that the other documents are far more inflammatory.
But Watts makes another suggestion which, being a writer I found intriguing: perform stylometry and textometry to see if Gleick really did write the climate strategy doc. Watts even helpfully suggests an open source java app called JGAAP that purports to do this.
I decided to try it out.

Methodology
The program works by entering a document by an unknown author and then it compares it, using various user-selected analyses, to a document(s) by known authors. Here's what I used:
Unknown Author Document:
1. The disputed Heartland Institute climate strategy memo. (docx)
Known Author Documents:
1. Peter Gleick's mea culpa from HuffPo (docx)
2. Peter Gleick's previous HuffPo piece on climate and water. (docx)
3. Joe Bast's responses to Gleick' mea culpa (Bast is the president of the Heartland Institute) (docx)
4. Joe Bast's piece criticizing Sara Reardon's piece in Science. (docx)
5. Heartland Staff's Section 6 of the Fundraising Plan. (docx)
6. The disputed Heartland Institute climate strategy memo - as a control.
I supplied links to the above documents so you can verify my methodology and attempt to replicate my results. As you can see, I copied the above six documents into word documents for uniformity but did not alter the language in any way.
The program analyzes according to several possible methods, which you can choose. It lists results by low score to high, low being the most probable author of the unknown document.
The program and my methodology may be subject to flaws. I may have typographical errors in my documents that could influence the results. I may not have chosen the best methods of analysis. The documents I selected may not be a large enough representative sample of the respective writings of the various authors. I may not have chosen a broad enough selection of authors. The program may contain logical or mathematical errors. I would encourage others to attempt to replicate, critique, and perform other analyses.

Results
Of the six author choices of: The Memo Itself, Peter Gleick 1 & 2, Joe Bast 1 & 2, and Heartland Staff, based on the above criteria, here are the scores JGAAP assigned for most likely authorship of the climate strategy memo under just a few of the many analyses the app can perform: ...

Conclusion
According to the above six analyses, which may contain unknown errors, the most likely author of the climate strategy memo is Heartland Institute president Joe Bast.

Forum List

Back