Nov 2012: Obama reelected, ObamaCare upheld by SCOTUS

Civil war is not an impossible scenario. It has happened before. Why can't it happen again?

Nothing new...

Republicans will just go back to obstructing government

We'll all be broke to support the bigger and better Nanny America.

Look out Greeze. Make room for America.

Nov 2012: Obama reelected, ObamaCare upheld by SCOTUS

Now what?

If the federal health insurance mandate is not upheld by SCOTUS, that would probably signal the end of ObamaCare since the entire Act hinges on that mandate. It cannot stand without the mandate included.

If the mandate is upheld, then the rest of ObamaCare survives, and that means the 50 states will quickly go bankrupt as they are forced to increase their Medicaid rolls substantially under the Act.

So there would be two parallel effects of SCOTUS upholding the mandate. One would be more people covered by Medicaid, the other would be everyone else's state taxes rocketing through the roof.

This is one of those things about Obama in which you can see his careful choice of words to commit a gigantic lie of omission.

To wit, in his speech to Congress about the health care act:

Here's what you need to know. First, I will not sign a plan that adds one dime to our deficits – either now or in the future. Period. And to prove that I'm serious, there will be a provision in this plan that requires us to come forward with more spending cuts if the savings we promised don't materialize. Part of the reason I faced a trillion dollar deficit when I walked in the door of the White House is because too many initiatives over the last decade were not paid for – from the Iraq War to tax breaks for the wealthy. I will not make that same mistake with health care.

He was, of course, speaking about the federal deficit. What he failed to mention was the tremendous burden the Act would place on state budgets. He is a master of smoke and mirrors.

And it is certainly arguable that the Act will also add far, far, far more than a dime to the federal deficits.

But the greater effect which is almost never considered is that the Federal government will have achieved the total usurpation of power from the people. The Constitution's job of limiting the power of government will be completely and forever gone.

For those who think I am bloviating I ask, if the "general welfare clause" can allow the Congress to make you buy a product, please tell us what Congress cannot do in the name of "general welfare".

Last edited:

Forum List

Back