Law & Order in Medieval England

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Can you help set the stage by telling us a little bit about the criminal justice system in 12th and 13th century England?

Elizabeth Papp Kamali: One of the things that I find fascinating about medieval English law is the transition from a criminal justice system in the 12th century that relied on trial by ordeal, to a system dependent upon juries to issue final felony verdicts by the early 13th century. That’s a world that came into being after the Fourth Lateran Council in 1215, when the Catholic Church withdrew priests from administering trial by ordeal. England was then forced to choose another method of proof.
Law & Order in Medieval England - Harvard Law Today

This is an interesting interview. She is pushing her book and I would really like to get that sucker.

Kamali-book-jacket_Page_1_Image_0003-1800x1904.jpg

". . .That said, the impetus for getting rid of the ordeal also came from influential theologians writing in the 12th century, Peter the Chanter being one that I deal with in my book. He expressed concern about the accuracy of trial by ordeal. For example, he shared a story about an English pilgrim who traveled abroad with a companion, returned alone, and fell under suspicion of having killed his companion. Because the pilgrim knew he was innocent, he agreed to undergo trial by ordeal. The pilgrim failed the ordeal and was executed. A short while later, his traveling companion returned home safe and sound.

Peter the Chanter used stories like this to argue that the ordeal didn’t work. He felt that, in judging serious matters, one should have proof as clear as the light of day. The ordeal, in his estimation, did not offer proof as clear as the light of day.. . . "

OTH. . .

I think Trump would prefer being weighed against a duck. If he is the same weight, hang him, otherwise? He goes free. . . . :auiqs.jpg:

trump-witch-hunt.png

Forum List

Back