Late intro and newbie questions

Tresha91203

Platinum Member
Apr 20, 2012
South Louisiana
Hi everyone,

I lurked for over a year, registered a while back and have been posting when real life permits. It is great to be here and I am enjoying some interesting discussions. There are some things I have not figured out yet and was hoping to get answers to a couple of questions:

1. What is rep and how do I use it. Is it the thank you I have been using or is there something else I need to do?

2. Is there a way to see if someone has quoted me the way I can see people I have quoted? Sometimes my life gets pretty hectic and I miss days (months, once). I'd like to not ignore anyone but not sure how to go about it. Is it considered necroposting to respond to someone days/weeks later if it revives a thread no longer on page 1? Should I respond via PM or is that intrusive?

3. What are these social groups? If one is invite only, is it rude to request an invite? I don't sweat rejection so don't throw tantrums if denied.

Thank you all for any assistace/feedback.

Hi everyone,

I lurked for over a year, registered a while back and have been posting when real life permits. It is great to be here and I am enjoying some interesting discussions. There are some things I have not figured out yet and was hoping to get answers to a couple of questions:

1. What is rep and how do I use it. Is it the thank you I have been using or is there something else I need to do?

2. Is there a way to see if someone has quoted me the way I can see people I have quoted? Sometimes my life gets pretty hectic and I miss days (months, once). I'd like to not ignore anyone but not sure how to go about it. Is it considered necroposting to respond to someone days/weeks later if it revives a thread no longer on page 1? Should I respond via PM or is that intrusive?

3. What are these social groups? If one is invite only, is it rude to request an invite? I don't sweat rejection so don't throw tantrums if denied.

Thank you all for any assistance/feedback.
Welcome, Tresha....!

I'm no expert, but I did spend the night in jail once.

1. What is rep and how do I use it. Is it the thank you I have been using or is there something else I need to do?Thanks is Thanks...Rep is Rep...they ain't the same though they both can be used to express appreciation for the post. I suppose giving positive rep is more thankful than giving a Thanks, but it's not something that anyone else sees. You can also take away reputation points (half your rep power at a time) if you don't like what was in the post.

The "thumb up/thumb down" icon at the top of the post box is used to give reputation, either positive or negative. You can leave a message or not with a positive rep. You have to leave a message with a neg rep (albeit only one character is required). These messages are NOT private and can be made public by the recipient.

I suggest that you read the rules concerning the reputation system. I hardly ever give neg rep.

I think there is a way to do that. It's not rude to revive a thread no matter how old it is. As for being intrusive with PMs, if a member accepts PMs, you are not intruding. Some people do not participate in the PM system.

I think it not rude but complimentary to request admission to a group. That's just me. Request what you will. If you're rejected, they lose!

Welcome to USMB! Enjoy yourself and don't sweat the small stuff! (It's ALL small stuff!)

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Or am I channeling others?

I like the look, but could we combine all the threads? Its as if everyone has everyone else on ignore and they can't read each other's posts.

btw, I was posting in another thread when the new look was initiated. I commented on it. Something like "wow! I like the new look" not that anyone could read that or this one.

:eusa_whistle:

:clap2:

Hi everyone,

this will answer you about rep

http://www.usmessageboard.com/intro...tation-101-reps-for-newbie-s-of-the-usmb.html

and you are welcome to come to the Tavern anytime you want

The Tavern

Thank you all so much. I'll check out the tavern. Dante, you have to use jelly ... I prefer blackberry. The link is great, ty. You guys remind me og mawmaw's dinner table sunday afternoon. Xoxoxo

Hi everyone,

Welcome to USMB, Tresha, and hope you are continuing to enjoy the boards.

1. Rep someone who said something really good by clicking " " and saying so.

2. Yes. Above on the Wider dark reddish pink taskbar are the words "My Posts." Click it to bring up the pulldown menu and click on "My Quotes," which you also click on and pull up all your quotes, with the latest quotes most recent in order they were made. Go to the link you are answering, and quote the person's post who quoted you to answer them. They, in turn, will receive your quote of them in their "My quotes" page, if they know how to use it, that is. ;)

3. I'm so not a social butterfly. I've joined a couple of groups, but am such a poor respondent I quit a couple of years later, realizing my fault is not serving the group well. :lol:

Hope that helps. :)

Forum List

Back