Lame Ducks and Absentee Politicians

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
Two things I would like to see changed in our government are:

1. Lame Ducks; Change the date newly elected politicians are seated. There is no need to wait nearly two months to seat a new member of congress or the senate. Sure when one had to travel by horse and buggy that time was needed but not anymore. We currently have people who are no longer elected representatives of the people passing laws.

In this day and age we should be able to seat new reps and senators immediately and no legislation should be considered until all newly elected reps are seated.

2. Absentee Politicians; When an elected rep or senator decides to run for another office he or she should immediately resign their seat. Why should they be able to collect a salary for nearly two years while they are campaigning even though they aren't doing the job they were elected to do?

Could you walk up to your boss and say, "I'd like to not show up for work for the next two years so I can try this other business. I expect to get paid while I'm not here and if my new venture doesn't work out I'll just come back to work like nothing ever happened."?

Only in government does this make sense.

Unfortunately none of our elected assholes will bring this up because it works against their own self interests

Last edited:

Forum List

Back