Ladies of USMB.... A hypothetical conundrum for ya....

Oct 8, 2009
So. Supposin' you had recently broken up with a SO and some guy who you know reasonably well - say a friend of a family member - asked you out BUT..... You were kind of in a place where you're thinking 'I am SOOOOO not ready to be seeing anyone right now'.... BUT.... you also really do genuinely like the guy..... BUT.... he's offering to drive 2 hours to take you out for dinner and then turn around and drive back (clearly NOT expecting sex in return for dinner)..... Do you:

a. Say 'yep'.

b. Say 'no thanks'

c. Say 'yea, but... here's the thing... and explain where you're at'

heres what i would do...ask to meet him half way....you drive an hour...he drives an hour....then its all a level playing field..

fuck that ready mal...why arent you ready.....

best revenge is living well and being happy

I say GO FOR IT!

Don't look at the dinner in a romantic/sexual/relationship sort of way. Just keep an open mind and go for it! No need to talk anything about your recent past unless of course HE brings it up. Just enjoy his company, live in the moment ( not the past or the future ) and make the most out of the time you do spend with him!

So. Supposin' you had recently broken up with a SO and some guy who you know reasonably well - say a friend of a family member - asked you out BUT..... You were kind of in a place where you're thinking 'I am SOOOOO not ready to be seeing anyone right now'.... BUT.... you also really do genuinely like the guy..... BUT.... he's offering to drive 2 hours to take you out for dinner and then turn around and drive back (clearly NOT expecting sex in return for dinner)..... Do you:

a. Say 'yep'.

b. Say 'no thanks'

C. But if you are really interested in him in the future make sure he knows it. Don't leave him guessing, it's not always a good thing.

now if he is really hot and you really like him and you got the cash....get him a hotel room....shows you care and all

but you can t fuck em if you put him up in a hotel....have to mind your manners then

I vote for a.
What the hell--you can always make mid flight adjustments.
Since when did a woman owe a man anything for dinner. I bet the guy has taken a woman out before and was not given consent. If not it's about time it happened to him.
Carpe Diem.

Why ask only the girls here? I think you should add:

D. Accept the date and offer to let him stay over night at your place.

Problem solved as far as a 4 hour drive is concerned.

I vote for a.
What the hell--you can always make mid flight adjustments.
Since when did a woman owe a man anything for dinner. I bet the guy has taken a woman out before and was not given consent. If not it's about time it happened to him.
Carpe Diem.

Agreed. C, while on the surface appealing, has too much of a disclaimer aspect about it. If he's really an old friend, he knows the situation.

A - go out, have a nice time, be sincere and treat him with respect.

a. Say 'yep'.

b. Say 'no thanks'

I vote a. you don't even know how you'll get along. Just have a good time and no need for pronouncements.

you might be pleasantly surprised.

I would choose a. I think c is making it more complicated than it needs to be at this point.

A family friend already knows her history. Give him some credit for intelligence and don't hit him over the head with with a big disclaimer - that is just embarrassing for both parties.

I would choose a. I think c is making it more complicated than it needs to be at this point.

You forget he's a friend of a family member. It starts getting complicated right there. :lol:

True, but c sort of comes with an assumption that would make me feel a little awkward. It's on him, just as much as her, not to set expectations at this stage.

I'm with you. I vote 'a' too. I had completely given up on love and then I met my wife twenty five years ago.

Last edited:

You forget he's a friend of a family member. It starts getting complicated right there. :lol:

True, but c sort of comes with an assumption that would make me feel a little awkward. It's on him, just as much as her, not to set expectations at this stage.

You've got a point. Now y'all have me thinking. Details, I need more details!

Forum List

Back