Kong! Kong! Kong! Kong!

Discussion in 'Pets' started by koshergrl, Jan 5, 2012.

1. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,347
    I got the big tippy one that you put treats in it, ostensibly for my big boy to keep him from tearing the house apart.

But guess who has fixated on it? THE TERRIER. And guess who minds his manners while she defends the Kong? THE BIG BOY! She's obsessed with defending it, and preventing him from approaching, which means she lays nearby, and keeps him at bay. she forgets to bark at passerby, she forgets to play, she forgets everything.

So he hangs out on the couch and stares soulfully at her. House was in perfect condition 2 days running when I got home!

2. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,347
    And when I go home, the kong goes into the freezer until morning. Because her defensiveness of it is not confined to big boy alone.

3. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    Careful with the kongs. They can chew them up and get themselves good and obstructed.

4. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,347
    This is the biggest one they have, and so far, the big boy hasn't had any luck even getting his chops on it. The little one just messes with the treat dispenser aspect of it so far.

That's why I didn't get the smaller ones. They looked to be just about the size of the opening of his esophagus. I know because I'm continually stuffing my entire arm down there retrieving things or delivering pills to him.

5. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    yep... just keep an eye on it :)

6. Kooshdakhaa

Kooshdakhaa Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +598
    Wow, sounds like somebody really loves their Kong! Or really loves the Big Boy's Kong, I guess I should say! : )

7. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,973
    i use kongs....i have never had any trouble with them being chewed till they broke down......but i have the larger ones....i avoid them rawhide treats cause of that...they do break down

8. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,347
    Mine love rawhide, but they can chew them up in no time, it's a waste of money. The pig toes lasted a little longer, but because they're so portable they get dragged all over and then stashed and forgotten. My terrier can eat a big hambone in about 20 minutes. I don't give her any other kind of bones...pork bones are kind of soft and I know she can handle them, but I'm afraid she'll crack off pieces of beef bones and get them stuck and I'll have to risk life and limb pulling them out from the back of her throat or take her to the vet...not crazy about either option. The big kong is nice because she can't get much of a grip on it, and it sort of stays where I put it...in the middle of the living room.

9. gallantwarrior

gallantwarrior Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    So far in the boonies, I'm not on google street vi
    Ratings:
    +6,220
    I give my big dog boiled moose leg bones. Those last a long time and boiling softens them so they don't shatter.

10. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,347
    Sadly, we are moose deficient in this neck of the woods. Or if they are around, they don't venture into my yard. I don't like bones in the house much anyway, they tend to stain things over time if they have any soft tissue left on them or in them at all...and what's the point of an entirely dry bone, I ask you (on behalf of the dogs, of course).