Know anybody who quit the 9-5 and pursued what they love to do?

There's got to be someone here who escaped the 9-5 matrix or at least knows somebody who did. Speak! (please :))

I remember a Ron Paul clip on youtube where they ask him on what kind of advice he would give to young people and finding what you love to do is exactly what he says. Invest in yourself, find a skill, help people - something along those lines so I want to follow his advice.
I worked for Uncle Samuelson 71-76. I then took a job with a giant company 76-78.
The only asshole I worked for since then was the ugly ass hippy I look at in the mirror while I brush my teeth. Get a skill and go. The ultimate skill these daze is mastering a different language and moving on.

I'm sitting here thinking about my life after reading Steve Jobs speech.

Text of Steve Jobs' Commencement address (2005)

It made me realize that health is so important (even his billions couldn't save him) but also the importance of not conforming.

I am unemployed now, had the dreaded 9-5 and don't ever want to go back. I want to do something I love, even if it means I don't make that much. I'm frugal anyways. I was inspired by his speech to find what I love to do so I googled it and read this

How to Find What You Love to Do » The Definitive Self Improvement Blog - BrianKim.net

I have an idea that might prove to be a way out of the rat race but I'm having a mental battle. Would really help if anybody here who followed their heart can give some encouragement on what it's like or if you know anybody, that can help too.

Something tells me we're not here to be cubicle slaves the majority of our life. There's got to be more than that right?

moi. I realized long ago that material things meant very little. Frugal? I can and have lived for months on so little...but have been elated with life for years.

I even gave up trying to keep digital toys and services as priority.

find your bliss. Your inner self may be calling to you. Just do something, and if you like it .. great. If not, walk the fuck away. no regrets.

life doesn't just happen to people. it's like a train is going by and you're watching it wondering what it would be like to hitch a ride. all kinds of reasons not to.

I grabbed hold and took a ride. Never end up where I don't want to be doing what I don't want to do.

I have few possessions and many friends. I love life.

go for IT

:cool:
dD

btw, I remember meeting Jobs a few times in the 80s. I worked for an agency and a friend of his. I always thought he had nothing I didn't have except millions in the bank, and I said that about him right in front of his face. I am free in my opinions and thoughts. He seems to have done what he loved doing. I bet that meant more to him than any material things. Things just make the road smoother is all. - I like the rough rode. always have. Less demands.

-----

maybe you like material things more than I do. if so figure out a way to make the road smoother and just do it.

I think you would enjoy this book:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Give-Damn-Frustrations-Challenges/dp/1466369094]Amazon.com: Don't Give a Damn: How to Cope with the Fears, Frustrations, and Challenges of Daily Life (9781466369092): Dr. Bill Chun MD: Books[/ame]

I worked for Uncle Samuelson 71-76. I then took a job with a giant company 76-78.
The only asshole I worked for since then was the ugly ass hippy I look at in the mirror while I brush my teeth. Get a skill and go. The ultimate skill these daze is mastering a different language and moving on.

I gave up working for the US Government about 10 years ago. I would suppose that the only asshole that I really have been accountable to since then is myself.:lol:

I have held some temporary jobs during this period that did bring in small amounts of money. Interesting point you made concerning the ugly ass hippy that you look at in the mirror, as I have devoted a lot of effort over the past few years to photographic self portrature, interpretive images of the asshole that I really have been accountable to.:redface:
Some of them are on display here.

In the late 1980's, Hubby and I went into business with another couple and were profitable in the first month, almost unheard of for a start up business. But after we had been up and running for awhile, our business partners in rapid succession created a problem with the IRS that was affecting all of us, got a divorce, and began balking on our original agreements. We prudently sold out our shares and got out of that business, and went back to work for the other guy.

Then in 2003, we got sick of working for the other guy, even though we were making really good money, and just quit and formed our own business again.

To do that successfully, we suggest:

1. Be out of debt and in a position to live very frugally for awhile if necessary.

2. If you are going with a new concept or invention, you might get lucky and it will take off like gangbusters--think hula hoops, or chia pets, or pet rocks, or troll dolls. But have enough cash reserves to live on for awhile just in case it does not.

3. Otherwise you need a proven marketable product with a demand in your area - OR - you need a skill set and experience by which you can provide a service that others need and will pay for. And you need the know how to promote and sell that product or service.

4. In addition, unless you can afford a retainer for professional accounting and legal services, you need a working knowledge of business law, small business taxes, insurance, personnel management, reporting requirements, etc. etc. etc.

We were happier than we have ever been and successful enough until the economy tanked and we finally closed the business at the end of 2011. We could have kept going on our reputation and work ethic, but others needed the business more than we did and we were planning to retire before too much longer anyway. And all the resources are still in place so that we can gear up again should we ever choose to.

Last edited:
I'm sitting here thinking about my life after reading Steve Jobs speech.

Text of Steve Jobs' Commencement address (2005)

It made me realize that health is so important (even his billions couldn't save him) but also the importance of not conforming.

I am unemployed now, had the dreaded 9-5 and don't ever want to go back. I want to do something I love, even if it means I don't make that much. I'm frugal anyways. I was inspired by his speech to find what I love to do so I googled it and read this

How to Find What You Love to Do » The Definitive Self Improvement Blog - BrianKim.net

I have an idea that might prove to be a way out of the rat race but I'm having a mental battle. Would really help if anybody here who followed their heart can give some encouragement on what it's like or if you know anybody, that can help too.

Something tells me we're not here to be cubicle slaves the majority of our life. There's got to be more than that right?

moi. I realized long ago that material things meant very little. Frugal? I can and have lived for months on so little...but have been elated with life for years.

I even gave up trying to keep digital toys and services as priority.

find your bliss. Your inner self may be calling to you. Just do something, and if you like it .. great. If not, walk the fuck away. no regrets.

life doesn't just happen to people. it's like a train is going by and you're watching it wondering what it would be like to hitch a ride. all kinds of reasons not to.

I grabbed hold and took a ride. Never end up where I don't want to be doing what I don't want to do.

I have few possessions and many friends. I love life.

go for IT

:cool:
dD

btw, I remember meeting Jobs a few times in the 80s. I worked for an agency and a friend of his. I always thought he had nothing I didn't have except millions in the bank, and I said that about him right in front of his face. I am free in my opinions and thoughts. He seems to have done what he loved doing. I bet that meant more to him than any material things. Things just make the road smoother is all. - I like the rough rode. always have. Less demands.

-----

maybe you like material things more than I do. if so figure out a way to make the road smoother and just do it.
Damn. Awesome post! Nice to hear the other side. I'm like you in that I'm frugal so hopefully that will help.

So cool that you met Jobs. Your bet was right because there was a quote of him saying he didn't care about the millions. Just about working with people creating great things. RIP Steve.

Stopped working as an employee for another almost 20 years ago. Walked away from an unbelievable good job for a top 100 corporation. Doing what I enjoy ever since and making good money at it. No regrets. Can't imagine ever having a BOSS ever again. It's like I've been on vacation for 20 years. I'm in control. I'm the boss of me.
I envy you soooooo much! Respect for having the guts to do it. People like you are my hero. I want that feel. I think I'm going to go for it.

In the late 1980's, Hubby and I went into business with another couple and were profitable in the first month, almost unheard of for a start up business. But after we had been up and running for awhile, our business partners in rapid succession created a problem with the IRS that was affecting all of us, got a divorce, and began balking on our original agreements. We prudently sold out our shares and got out of that business, and went back to work for the other guy.

Then in 2003, we got sick of working for the other guy, even though we were making really good money, and just quit and formed our own business again.

To do that successfully, we suggest:

1. Be out of debt and in a position to live very frugally for awhile if necessary.

2. If you are going with a new concept or invention, you might get lucky and it will take off like gangbusters--think hula hoops, or chia pets, or pet rocks, or troll dolls. But have enough cash reserves to live on for awhile just in case it does not.

3. Otherwise you need a proven marketable product with a demand in your area - OR - you need a skill set and experience by which you can provide a service that others need and will pay for. And you need the know how to promote and sell that product or service.

4. In addition, unless you can afford a retainer for professional accounting and legal services, you need a working knowledge of business law, small business taxes, insurance, personnel management, reporting requirements, etc. etc. etc.

We were happier than we have ever been and successful enough until the economy tanked and we finally closed the business at the end of 2011. We could have kept going on our reputation and work ethic, but others needed the business more than we did and we were planning to retire before too much longer anyway. And all the resources are still in place so that we can gear up again should we ever choose to.

Great advice. I think #3 imo is the most important!

Yes, unless you're lucky enough to invent or come up with that one completely new concept that will catch the imagination of America, #3 is critical to success. You may be the most brilliant and competent person in the world at what you do, but if there is no demand for it, you won't make money doing it.

Mr. Foxfyre and I happened to have several areas of expertise, all acquired working for the other guy, that we were able to bundle into a product/services business that was in demand in our area and we were able to support ourselves quite nicely. And despite there being a new learning curve involved to work out the kinks, and long, long hours necessary to get it up and running well so that we could begin sharing the work with others, it was such a blessing to have so much more control of our own destiny.

It isn't for everybody. Some people are much happier being part of the labor force and are not tempermentally or emotionally equipped for self employment. And that is the beauty of the free market system. Those who have the temperament and are emotionally equipped to take the risks and accept the uncertainties that come with self employment have a labor force to draw from. Otherwise everybody would be a Chief and I think that would be terribly complicated.

Yes, unless you're lucky enough to invent or come up with that one completely new concept that will catch the imagination of America, #3 is critical to success. You may be the most brilliant and competent person in the world at what you do, but if there is no demand for it, you won't make money doing it.

Mr. Foxfyre and I happened to have several areas of expertise, all acquired working for the other guy, that we were able to bundle into a product/services business that was in demand in our area and we were able to support ourselves quite nicely. And despite there being a new learning curve involved to work out the kinks, and long, long hours necessary to get it up and running well so that we could begin sharing the work with others, it was such a blessing to have so much more control of our own destiny.

It isn't for everybody. Some people are much happier being part of the labor force and are not tempermentally or emotionally equipped for self employment. And that is the beauty of the free market system. Those who have the temperament and are emotionally equipped to take the risks and accept the uncertainties that come with self employment have a labor force to draw from. Otherwise everybody would be a Chief and I think that would be terribly complicated.
Congrats on your success!

You make a good point about how it might not be for everyone. Maybe that's the first step to see if it is for you in the first place.

Congrats on your success!

You make a good point about how it might not be for everyone. Maybe that's the first step to see if it is for you in the first place.

Welcome to USMB RPL. I hope you're finding USMB a mostly good experience. I had forgotten about this thread and, in this rotten economy, I think it is a pertinent one.

But of course self employment isn't for everybody. If everybody had their own business, there would be nobody to employ so that we can grow our business. The best of us can accomplish only so much through our own effort.

But evenso, though many prefer working for the other guy rather than taking on the considerable extra headaches of self employment, I am very much in favor of us developing a new social set and mentality so that people own and take charge of their own savings plans, health insurance, etc. etc. etc. The employer could still contribute to those as a benefit to the employees, but would not own or control them. The employee would retain control of them when he moved on to a different job or was unemployed for a time. That would eliminate the ability of corrupt crooks absconding with their employees' retirement funds or putting it into jeopardy when the company floundered. But I digress.

Many a business has been started by a guy or gal who had self pride and a work ethic and, when he or she couldn't find work was not willing to go on welfare. Many a contracting business was started simply by one guy offering a good price to a neighbor to build or repair a fence or build a deck or put up a storage shed. I knew three people who developed successful catering businesses by starting out in their own kitchens putting together food for a party or special event.

One of my family members was playing around adding music and special effects to a homemade video and created a nice DVD. That sparked an idea and, after some trial and error and considerable effort, that family developed a full blown video business creating a folder of creative and beautiful DVD sets of weddings, graduations, school proms, special occasions etc. The business slowed to a crawl in this crappy economy--few people have the several hundred dollars to shell out for such a service, but because they were working out of their home and the dad was gainfully employed elsewhere, the reduced business was not devastating. And they are fully ready to gear up and go again at such time as we have an economic recovery and people have extra money to spend again.

A professional engineer I know, who was also a gifted pianist, took on a couple of piano students just for the heck of it. That has now grown into a full blown private music studio in its own building providing part time employment for four people teaching piano, guitar, other instrumental music, and voice. It probably would not support any of them in the style they prefer, but the engineer is looking forward to retirement from his engineering job in a few more years and devoting full attention to the studio which is a true labor of love. His greatest joy is taking students at reduced rates who otherwise could not afford the lessons, and he is changing lives.

I have supplemented my own income from time to time over the years doing tutoring, serving as an on-call legal secretary, free lance writing, and various other services, though none of those were bonafide businesses.

Blessed are those who can make a living doing something they love. And though that might include running ones own business, it can also include working for the other guy.

Last edited:
Without wanting to seem like I'm bragging, setting out on my own was simply the next logical step. I'd learned my onions in the Engineers and private sector, so I just took-out a loan of £12,500 and dived straight in. My first job was tearing down a terrace of eight houses just outside of London. The hardest part, though, was getting myself registered and accredited by most of the professional bodies, which is what you'll need if you wish to tender for government, local authority or mid-to-large scale private contracts.

The only set-back was selling my two machines after five years of trading without any loss. I had to downsize as the work just wasn't coming in. But to add insult to injury, about four months after I'd sold the two Komatsus, I was booked solid for the next eight months.

Without wanting to seem like I'm bragging, setting out on my own was simply the next logical step. I'd learned my onions in the Engineers and private sector, so I just took-out a loan of £12,500 and dived straight in. My first job was tearing down a terrace of eight houses just outside of London. The hardest part, though, was getting myself registered and accredited by most of the professional bodies, which is what you'll need if you wish to tender for government, local authority or mid-to-large scale private contracts.

The only set-back was selling my two machines after five years of trading without any loss. I had to downsize as the work just wasn't coming in. But to add insult to injury, about four months after I'd sold the two Komatsus, I was booked solid for the next eight months.

I hear that. We weighed the pros and cons and agonized over whether to shut down the business at the end of last year. In this crappy economy, business was way off, but was still producing an income. But those we had mentored and who were out on their own HAD to have that business and we were toying with the idea of retiring anyway. With our reputation and experience, we pretty well had our pick of most of the available work. Partly as a practical matter--an excuse to go ahead and retire--and as a humanitarian matter--making it possible for those other folks to survive--we shut down.

And of course, shortly after we did, we were offered one of the biggest contracts ever. It was soooo tempting. But we turned it down and it allowed one of our protege's to survive. :)

I commend your charity, Fox. Truth be told, I'm what some would call a "predatory contractor", in that I'll aggressively chase tenders even if I know that I'll be depriving a new competitor of work. I simply can't afford any measure of compassion when it comes to defending my bottom line in this industry (construction and demolition). Having said that, though, I'm no big fish and I know exactly what it's like to be swatted aside by larger, more experienced firms.

Two questions, Fox. 1. Alburquerque is situated in and hosts a less denser population than London and its surrounding counties. Do you think you would've been as charitable if your business was operating in and around somewhere like Los Angeles or New York? 2. Without divulging too much information, what did this big contract entail?

PS. As daft as it may sound, any prospective businessman or woman would do well to get in touch with a firm operating in another part of the country, thus you won't pose a threat and they'll be more inclined to provide helpful and invaluable information. For instance,for all my experience, I had relatively little experience in quantity surveying/pricing demolition and earth moving work. So I got in touch with a company in the north of England who provided a wealth of knowledge i.e. - demolition work involving commercial premises usually commands £4-5 per square metre.

I commend your charity, Fox. Truth be told, I'm what some would call a "predatory contractor", in that I'll aggressively chase tenders even if I know that I'll be depriving a new competitor of work. I simply can't afford any measure of compassion when it comes to defending my bottom line in this industry (construction and demolition). Having said that, though, I'm no big fish and I know exactly what it's like to be swatted aside by larger, more experienced firms.

Two questions, Fox. 1. Alburquerque is situated in and hosts a less denser population than London and its surrounding counties. Do you think you would've been as charitable if your business was operating in and around somewhere like Los Angeles or New York? 2. Without divulging too much information, what did this big contract entail?

PS. As daft as it may sound, any prospective businessman or woman would do well to get in touch with a firm operating in another part of the country, thus you won't pose a threat and they'll be more inclined to provide helpful and invaluable information. For instance,for all my experience, I had relatively little experience in quantity surveying/pricing demolition and earth moving work. So I got in touch with a company in the north of England who provided a wealth of knowledge i.e. - demolition work involving commercial premises usually commands £4-5 per square metre.

If there is plenty of business and we needed the income, we were as capable of being as self serving as anybody else and would compete with anybody to get the business. Anybody not willing to do that should not attempt self employment. It isn't so charitable when you're feeling that it's time to retire and that begins to look more attractive than struggling in a business unfriendly environment. But the fact that others needed the money and we didn't need it so much did push us into retirement a year or at least a few years earlier than we would have probably otherwise done.

In truth, if we had been in New York or L.A. or London, we probably would not have been able to compete with the big boys. It is precisely because the big boys aren't as interested in the smaller and more scattered contracts in the more sparsely populated areas that operations like ours could be successful. The big boys tried here, and a couple of decades ago started buying up a lot of small firms. But they didn't know how to operate in our business climate under the conditions we work out here, and every one of those acquisitions went belly up. Making room for us of course. :)

Our business involved a wide variety of insurance services including property appraisals, safety inspections, premium audits, consulting and market research.

YES. I was a lawyer. I am now a male gigolo. One disclaimer, I'm not licensed!!!

Seriously, our lawyer friends who have broken away from the big firms and decided to hang out their solo shingle have to have a special quality and ability and mad skills above and beyond lawyering to make it. Many don't make it. And others do great. Such is the way it is in the world of entreprenourship.

Yeah, me, and I ended up with the 9 - 9, 10, 11 or later. But hey, that's what I get for being a scummy small business operator.

Yeah, me, and I ended up with the 9 - 9, 10, 11 or later. But hey, that's what I get for being a scummy small business operator.

There is that. If you want a fixed schedule, a 40-hr-week, overtime, assurance of a steady income, paid benefits, paid vacations, paid holidays, sick leave, etc., you sure as hell won't like running your own small business. :)

Forum List

Back