Kitty genovese was murdered 50 years ago

The uproar over Kitty's murder was that it happened so publicly and no one helped or called the police. It was considered a horrible act of inhumanity. It shamed the whole city. People got over that shame. 50 years later attacking and killing is a game played by young people just having fun.

Interesting. I checked into this story and it seems to have taken on a life of it's own. I don't know that there were "38" people who witnessed this tragic even or how that number was empirically calculated. My guess is that the number was closer to about a dozen.

Charles Skoller, the former assistant district attorney, supports part of Mr. De May's conclusion. ''I don't think 38 people witnessed it,'' said Mr. Skoller, now retired. ''I don't know where that came from, the 38. I didn't count 38. We only found half a dozen that saw what was going on, that we could use.''

Two assaults, not three.

To begin, he points out that there were two attacks on Kitty Genovese, not three, as The Times initially indicated. The newspaper later acknowledged the discrepancy -- it was caused by confused police accounts -- but three is still given as the number of attacks, recently in ''The Tipping Point'' by Malcolm Gladwell and ''New York: An Illustrated History'' by Ric Burns and James Sanders. Since the extra attack was supposed to have occurred in full view of surrounding windows, it added to an impression of callous disregard by neighbors.

I don't really know that most people even knew what was actually going on. After witnessing a lot of street scuffles, one thing really stands out - most of the time, it happened so quickly, that I did not even recognize it as assault or an attack; other times, it was quite obvious.

There were two separate assaults - the victim ran away and was killed somewhere else.

Every bit as significant as the brevity of the first attack, Mr. De May believes, was the location of the second, more sustained attack. This occurred in a narrow foyer at the back of Ms. Genovese's building, indoors and facing away from the Mowbray toward the railroad tracks. This is where Kitty had gone to seek safety, and where Mr. Moseley discovered her. Only one witness, a man who lived at the top of the stairs, could have seen what occurred in that foyer, Mr. De May said.

I have heard that in these days, there was no 911 to call and you had to either flag down a cop, or call the local police department and yes, the the police WERE called.

Was it shameful? Were people slow to help or do nothing when they could have? Absolutely.

Was it 38 people standing around while someone was murdered? Probably not.

No one at the time knew this woman was a lesbian - that did not come out until after she was murdered. People did not go around claiming that they were gay. Ms. Genovese was raped before being murdered and I do not believe her killer knew or cared that she was gay.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back