Kitchenaid mixer.

My SIL has a German made bread maker that you put the ingredients in and it mixes and bakes the bread. Damn thing does everything except getting the mail and throwing the cat out at night. I don''t know the brand but it is very expensive. Here some automatic bread machines you can buy from Amazon, Walmart, Target and other outlets from $57-$286.

The 8 Best Bread Machines to Buy in 2018

Mine is lime green. My son borrowed my dough hook and never brought it back!

They come with a dough hook.
I wont ask what he did with his...I can only assume he used it at a drunken Halloween party when he went as Captain Hook.

I was going to take the high road and just assume that he makes so much fresh bread that he wore it out.

And he didn't call Mom last Sunday because he dropped a Bible on his foot and couldn't hobble to the phone.

The wife and I have been considering a Kitchenaid mixer for years.
We've always kneaded our dough by hand since we dont often bake homemade bread.
We're now considering getting the Kitchenaid for the bread kneading and the meat grinding/sausage making capabilities.

Anyone have any insight or experience with the Kitchenaid?

At $350 bucks I'd like to know how it performs before buying.

Ad the fact that we'll soon be moving to the boonies where a quick trip to the store for a loaf of bread or ground meat will soon become a chore.

White Ultra Power® Series 4.5-Quart Tilt-Head Stand Mixer KSM95WH | KitchenAid
They are awesome! Saves alot of work. There are also bread making machines that you fill come back in a couple of hours and fresh home aid bread.

I love the ability to make homemade bread. The ability to grind meat for various purposes is what we're looking at.
Should I buy a separate meat grinder or is the attachment sufficient?
I see no need for attachment. Mine does ever thing I do in the kitchen. Seperate bread maker though, stirs and cooks just fill and walk away. Even has a timer on it so the bread can be done when I get off work. Between that and crock pot I have an awesome meal waiting for me when I open the door.

I have a bread maker but it lacks in the other departments.

We're now considering getting the Kitchenaid for the bread kneading and the meat grinding/sausage making capabilities.

Ad the fact that we'll soon be moving to the boonies where a quick trip to the store for a loaf of bread or ground meat will soon become a chore.

I do not recommend the tilt-head version - and a 4.5 Qt bowl is too small if you want to make more than one loaf of bread. Sadly, the KitchenAid quality has gone down over the past years as they became colorful accessories instead of working appliances. But if you're going to get one, go with the lift bowl version (which now comes in a 6 or even a 7 quart model).

Sugar Pearl Silver Pro Line® Series 7 Quart Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer KSM7586PSR | KitchenAid

I have an old Professional model from 1992 with a 5 quart bowl. Its great for kneading bread - but I wish the bowl were bigger.

Someday, I am going to get one of these:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/ankarsrum-original-stand-mixer-mineral-white

They are awesome! Saves alot of work. There are also bread making machines that you fill come back in a couple of hours and fresh home aid bread.

I love the ability to make homemade bread. The ability to grind meat for various purposes is what we're looking at.
I see no need for attachment. Mine does ever thing I do in the kitchen. Seperate bread maker though, stirs and cooks just fill and walk away. Even has a timer on it so the bread can be done when I get off work. Between that and crock pot I have an awesome meal waiting for me when I open the door.

Ya have to remember.
This is for when we're retired. We already have an automatic bread maker but it doesnt make pasta,grind meat,stuff sausage...

I do not recommend the tilt-head version - and a 4.5 Qt bowl is too small if you want to make more than one loaf of bread. Sadly, the KitchenAid quality has gone down over the past years as they became colorful accessories instead of working appliances. But if you're going to get one, go with the lift bowl version (which now comes in a 6 or even a 7 quart model).

Sugar Pearl Silver Pro Line® Series 7 Quart Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer KSM7586PSR | KitchenAid

I have an old Professional model from 1992 with a 5 quart bowl. Its great for kneading bread - but I wish the bowl were bigger.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/ankarsrum-original-stand-mixer-mineral-white

4.5 QUART STAINLESS STEEL BOWL
Enough capacity to mix up to 6 dozen cookies, 3 loaves of bread or 6 pounds of mashed potatoes in a single batch.

As we're cooking for two I see no need for a larger model.

I suggest a freezer if you're that far out of the way. If you've got the $$ left, get the KitchenAid.

Money isnt an issue.
Fresh bread and custom ground meats are the issue.
Making my own Italian sausage,fennel sausage,breakfast sausage,meatballs,meatloaf,burgers and of course Kolaches and bread.
Well, it sounds like you'd get your money's worth out of it. When I was sharing a house with a friend, I had the use of hers, and it was pretty nifty to be able to put the thing on mix and walk away to get something, especially if it was something you had to beat for minutes on end like meringue.

Heard that. Homemade meringue is totally worth the effort, but why give yourself carpal tunnel if you don't have to?

I always hated meringue on anything, because I'd never had it homemade and it always tasted like styrofoam. Then I made it for my banana pudding . . . OMG. Not even in the same ballpark.

Ya have to remember.
This is for when we're retired. We already have an automatic bread maker but it doesnt make pasta,grind meat,stuff sausage...

I found one like mine on Ebay. I have the attachments for making sausage etc. 26 years and going strong. I just made dinner rolls for Thanksgiving yesterday with it.

KitchenAid KSM50 KSM50P White Heavy Duty Countertop 5 Quart Bowl Stand Mixer | eBay

I suggest a freezer if you're that far out of the way. If you've got the $$ left, get the KitchenAid.

Money isnt an issue.
Fresh bread and custom ground meats are the issue.
Making my own Italian sausage,fennel sausage,breakfast sausage,meatballs,meatloaf,burgers and of course Kolaches and bread.
Well, it sounds like you'd get your money's worth out of it. When I was sharing a house with a friend, I had the use of hers, and it was pretty nifty to be able to put the thing on mix and walk away to get something, especially if it was something you had to beat for minutes on end like meringue.

Heard that. Homemade meringue is totally worth the effort, but why give yourself carpal tunnel if you don't have to?

I always hated meringue on anything, because I'd never had it homemade and it always tasted like styrofoam. Then I made it for my banana pudding . . . OMG. Not even in the same ballpark.

One of my main reasons to get one,the homemade aspect.

Enough capacity to mix up to 6 dozen cookies, 3 loaves of bread or 6 pounds of mashed potatoes in a single batch.

I am highly skeptical regarding the 3 loaves of bread claim. Either the loaves are . very small or the dough crawls out of the bowl. And please, not the tilt-head. It's not good.

I am highly skeptical regarding the 3 loaves of bread claim. Either the loaves are . very small or the dough crawls out of the bowl.

I've read about that complaint.
But cooking for two I dont see the need for three loaves.
Two is fine for the wife and I.

My SIL has a German made bread maker that you put the ingredients in and it mixes and bakes the bread. Damn thing does everything except getting the mail and throwing the cat out at night. I don''t know the brand but it is very expensive. Here some automatic bread machines you can buy from Amazon, Walmart, Target and other outlets from $57-$286.

The 8 Best Bread Machines to Buy in 2018

Have a bread machine that makes excellent bread.
I want something that'll do more.

I told ya!!!! Don't do the Tilt Head!

The tilt head failed after making multiple rounds of stiff dough.
While I'll probably make a batch of bagels on occasion I dont see me making ten rounds of the stuff.

While I'll probably make a batch of bagels on occasion I dont see me making ten rounds of the stuff.

KitchenAid still makes a 5 qt liftbowl model. If you like the color selection, this is a good deal at $255.

Aqua Sky Pro HD Series 5 Quart Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer KG25H0XAQ | KitchenAid

KitchenAid still makes a 5 qt liftbowl model. If you like the color selection, this is a good deal at $255.

I will tell you honestly that if I could get one, I wouldn't care if it was puke green or Pepto Bismol pink, so long as I could do all the cooking my little heart yearns for.

Absolutly love mine. We use it all the time. The meat grinding attachment is pretty to make ground beef, chicken, and turkey as you can all sorts of fun spice into the mix. The sausage making was fun, but working casing can be a real pain. Happy Baking!

I will tell you honestly that if I could get one, I wouldn't care if it was puke green or Pepto Bismol pink, so long as I could do all the cooking my little heart yearns for.

I love to cook, especially baking. mr. boe's fantasy is that when we retire, I will make bread every day. Well, I'll make a lot of bread, but that's a bit much. I will get my sourdough starter good and bubbly again - so he can have sourdough pancakes and biscuits quite often.

Color isn't really an issue.
It can be baby shit green and I wouldnt care one way or another.
It's all about how sturdy it is.
I have read that the lift bowl is more sturdy for constant use though.

Color isn't really an issue.
It can be baby shit green and I wouldnt care one way or another.
It's all about how sturdy it is.
I have read that the lift bowl is more sturdy for constant use though.

I'm just going to say it one more time: you will be much happier with the lift bowl instead of the tilt head. There's a reason that the tilt-head is for their cheaper price point models.

Forum List

Back