"Kiss the Good Times Goodbye" - the end of the automotive era

The flow of traffic goes at 5-10 mph over the speed limit
Will self driving cars be programmed to follow the posted speed limit?

If a majority of people used self driving cars, I think that it would lead to traffic moving more smoothly, so that even going the speed limit might tend to lessen trip times. :dunno:

Doesn't matter

I don't want to drive at 65. Neither do most other drivers
If everyone is in autonomous vehicles, the speed limit can be greatly increased. I believe the article posted in the OP references vehicles on the interstate traveling at high rates of speed (120-150 mph), since there won't be dummies like you doing stupid shit on the highway.

If a majority of people used self driving cars, I think that it would lead to traffic moving more smoothly, so that even going the speed limit might tend to lessen trip times. :dunno:

Doesn't matter

If everyone is in autonomous vehicles, the speed limit can be greatly increased. I believe the article posted in the OP references vehicles on the interstate traveling at high rates of speed (120-150 mph), since there won't be dummies like you doing stupid shit on the highway.

It could work except you have to plan for the unexpected. The car in front of you blowing a tire, a deer running on the road

Doesn't matter

It could work except you have to plan for the unexpected. The car in front of you blowing a tire, a deer running on the road
Do you think humans can handle the unexpected better than a computer?

Doesn't matter

With cameras and ultra sonic sensors, the autonomous car would likely see the hazard sooner. It would certainly react quicker, with more information of whether it is safe to swerve and/or brake.

Doesn't matter

No, we cannot. The reaction time may be similar, but the computer will be constantly "seeing" all around the vehicle. It will already know the safest path to avoid a hazard. Plus, with ultra sonic sensors, the autonomous car can see through rain and fog, plus see in front of the vehicle in front of them.

Add to that, an autonomous car is never distracted, exhausted or under the influence.

Doesn't matter

No, we cannot. The reaction time may be similar, but the computer will be constantly "seeing" all around the vehicle. It will already know the safest path to avoid a hazard. Plus, with ultra sonic sensors, the autonomous car can see through rain and fog, plus see in front of the vehicle in front of them.

Add to that, an autonomous car is never distracted, exhausted or under the influence.
Of course. That is my point.

Anyone who thinks a human would react as fast or faster than a computer to the unexpected, isn't too smart. If Leftnutter thinks this, he is even nuttier than I thought.

Interesting Article programming the car to make moral decisions:
Self-driving cars programmed to decide who dies in a crash

Since human error (distracted driving, driving under the influence ect) is the cause of the overwhelming majority of accidents, the number of accidents will drop dramatically with autonomous cars.

As for deciding who will die, if we could react with the speed and information available to the autonomous car, we would do the same. If there is no way to avoid the accident, and the choice is between hitting a pedestrian on a high speed roadway and hitting a wall, is it the fault of the computer or the dumbass pedestrian?

Doesn't matter

In some ways ...yes

But this is in reference to the speeds a driverless car could safely go. Higher speeds mean larger following distances and fewer cars

Interesting Article programming the car to make moral decisions:

Since human error (distracted driving, driving under the influence ect) is the cause of the overwhelming majority of accidents, the number of accidents will drop dramatically with autonomous cars.

As for deciding who will die, if we could react with the speed and information available to the autonomous car, we would do the same. If there is no way to avoid the accident, and the choice is between hitting a pedestrian on a high speed roadway and hitting a wall, is it the fault of the computer or the dumbass pedestrian?
Agreed. We all know this is coming. The State will demand it and claim it will save thousands of lives, which I suspect it will. Imagine what it will do to auto insurance costs.

I particularly like the elimination of high speed cop chases. We had two recently in our area and a young lady on her way home for the holidays from college, was killed. Another incident resulted in a cop rolling his cruiser killing him. This kind of senseless loss of life infuriates me.

Last edited:

Doesn't matter

In some ways ...yes

But this is in reference to the speeds a driverless car could safely go. Higher speeds mean larger following distances and fewer cars
Okay...it get you now. I am not sure your position is correct. If all vehicle are going the same speed, I suspect the speed could be higher.

In addition, I would hope we could attain technology that would keep animals from entering the roadway.

10 years? That would require both for self-driving cars to be deemed safe enough for mass production, and for mass production to happen. 10 years is far too fast a time frame. As far as I'm aware, no self driving vehicles have been produced in large numbers to date. It also assumes that states will be willing to accept those autonomous cars on the roads, and won't pass any legislation hindering or preventing their use. And it further assumes that self driving cars will be competitively priced within 10 years.

While I think it's likely that, at some point, self driving vehicles will become the norm, 10 years is far too short a time for it to happen.

Tesla claims they're making cars now that are self-driving ready. All they have to do, so to speak, is flip a switch. I think the only real technology hurdle is the wait for the software to mature.

The cost should be small, when production goes mainstream. A few cameras and sensors with a computer. This is small enough that savings in insurance will cover the cost.

Some states will respond very quickly when the cars are ready, others shouldn't take long.

The minute self-driving cars are deemed safe enough, they'll explode into the mainstream.

It may take quite a bit of time for testing. I know that various companies are working on autonomous cars, but a technology like this needs very extensive testing because of how often people drive. At least at first, many people are not going to trust self driving vehicles. Any incidents in which such a vehicle causes an accident will make it harder to convince the public they are a good idea, even if they are actually safer than human drivers.

And again, I don't think there is a lot of public desire for self driving cars. People will need to be convinced that autonomous vehicles are worth spending their money on instead of traditional vehicles.

I think the convincing will come about by having relatively small areas go driverless. As an example, the suburbs to the north of Atlanta. Traffic up Hwy 400 is some of the worst in the city during rush hour. If they take part or all of that single highway and make it driverless only, people will have the option of using driverless cars or driving another route. Once it becomes apparent that the traffic flows smoother and faster without the idiots causing accident, people swerving in and out of lanes, and generally doing what they do to make rush hour worse, it will spread.

The same thing happened when the MARTA trains extended up that way. People said "No one wants to go to work and not have their car" or "No one will want to be stranded downtown without their car or pay per trip". Now MARTA is just part of many people's commutes. The parking lots at the MARTA stations above I-285 are full during the week.

That would be.....difficult. Telling people that high traffic areas are now off limits to all but self driving cars would cause a huge uproar. It also could cause worse congestion in the areas surrounding the self driving section as people are forced to take new routes. I question whether local politicians would be willing to take that kind of risk. I could see a driverless vehicle lane, like an HOV lane, but banning human driven vehicles from a whole high traffic area? I don't think that's likely.

That would be.....difficult. Telling people that high traffic areas are now off limits to all but self driving cars would cause a huge uproar.

I've found people as a whole to be sheep.....no matter what you do to them as a whole...they just keep bending over and keep taking it.
Politics and government thrive on that very thing.

Toll roads for example. They ALWAYS are touted as "temporary" but once in place, the cash flow is just too good to let go of. South Florida for example.....

Now people there feel they're getting a "good deal" when the state offers a choice of transponders to pay for, as the tolls creep higher and higher and lanes on one of the busiest highways on the planet are stolen and changed into HOV (PAY LANES) causing the traffic situation to get even worse....try driving I-95 in Miami ANY day of the week

But the sheep just say...."baaa ba baaaaaaa"

It wouldn't be difficult at all.

Okay...it get you now. I am not sure your position is correct. If all vehicle are going the same speed, I suspect the speed could be higher.
In addition, I would hope we could attain technology that would keep animals from entering the roadway.

Driverless machines will never be "maintenance free" machines.
Parts WILL fail at very bad times and the results could be a lot worse for everyone around counting on their technology to keep them safe. Especially if the technology is being relied on to move cars faster and faster in tightly packed herds.

So that "herd" of driverless cars safely all going 120mph suddenly becomes a killing field.

Could the cars react faster and prevent a massive pile-up? We can speculate.
Could terrorists hack the cars or use broad area jamming devices to cause wrecks? Again, we can speculate.

Last edited:

5 years? More predictions by the lunatic left ..

Typical. You don't read the article and then try to make it about liberals. Perhaps a liberal would have actually read the article and see that it said 20 years before there would be an actual switch to driverless cars. The entire "5 year" comment was simply about how long they would allow people to drive after that.

And that's why I am putting a new motor in my Chevy, so in can use it for another 20 years .

Self-driving or autonomous cars are coming to the streets whether it is what the consumers want or not. For many people, having a computer system take them from one place to another without having to drive themselves is a welcome change. For me, I enjoy driving so I do not look forward to the possibility of losing the ability to drive from one location to another. Although, that is not my argument against autonomous cars. My biggest concern about self-driving cars is over the maintenance of both the computer system and the functions of the cars themselves. Currently cars require maintenance on engines, breaks, drivetrains, and other systems. Although the engine maintenance would be somewhat different due to hybrids and electric motors, maintenance would still need to occur. Then there is the problem with putting a computer system at the wheel; that would need maintenance too. My question is what happens when the computer system malfunctions. Currently, when a system fails, such as brakes or the engine, a driver can pull of the side of the road and generally avoid a problem. If the computer system driving the car has similar issues, does it have the capabilities to avoid a problem? This is not much of a concern if the car has a system where the individual can take control manually if something does go wrong. Although, GM recently announced the plan to mass-produce an autonomous car with no pedals or steering wheel, reported by this NPR article (GM Says Car With No Steering Wheel Or Pedals Ready For Streets In 2019). This means that the individuals in the car have no ability to take control of the manually if the computer system decides to glitch. The companies making these cars to drive themselves need to make sure to create a computer system that does not start having issues like our phones and laptops do after a few years. Being that these systems are much more advanced, that should be the case.

Another question to ask about self-driving cars is are they programmed to handle any unforeseen issues like downed trees, animals in the road, freak weather or even quick lane changes from cars being manually driven, especially as self-driving technology mixes with manual drivers on the road. Human drivers tend to make gut decision while driving and sometimes things go bad. Sometimes those decisions do not work, but many times in a situation where a crash is unavoidable and a driver has to make a decision, the decision made is the less severe option. The question then in a self-driving car is how has the technology been programmed to make these decisions? Now this dives into another argument of artificial intelligence, but it is an important question to ask. One option is to program the car to make the decision to kill or hurt the fewest amount of possible (Self-driving cars programmed to decide who dies in a crash). This USA Today article discusses some of the hypotheticals that go along with this issue. The problem is that they are just hypotheticals, although the article argues that it is time to discuss the hypothetical situations a self-driving car may encounter because the technology is close to being mass-produced. Much of the self-driving technology is still in the development phase and issues described above are rare. Is that though because there are only a few manufacturers that have advanced autonomous features on their cars, like Tesla, while most drivers still drive themselves. Unfortunately, this question probably cannot be answered until self-driving cars become mass-produced and there are many cars on the road that experience these unforeseen issues and data comes out to answer it. Much of the concern over self-driving cars is a trust issue; consumers do not trust a computer over themselves in an adverse situation. Until there is data to show drivers that self-driving cars are safer than they are as drivers, many will continue to drive themselves. Whether one is against self-driving cars or for them, they are going to make their way to the consumers regardless of what people want.

You know, one of the things that scares me about these self driving cars is that they are computer controlled.

We already know that you can hack newer vehicles to do all sorts of things like speed up, stop, etc. How much worse do you think it could be? What if someone hacked your smart car, locked the doors and drove you off of a cliff?

You know, one of the things that scares me about these self driving cars is that they are computer controlled.

We already know that you can hack newer vehicles to do all sorts of things like speed up, stop, etc. How much worse do you think it could be? What if someone hacked your smart car, locked the doors and drove you off of a cliff?

I would guess that will be one of, if not the, biggest fears regarding self driving vehicles.

Forum List

Back