Kids Grok The Global Warming Scam

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
I have a renewed hope for the Future of Humanity. A group of sixth graders in Longmont CO have evaluated the evidence and concluded that Global Warming is not caused by humans.

Humans don’t cause global warming, a jury of sixth graders at Trail Ridge Middle School concluded Thursday after hearing opposing arguments from their peers.

“They’re pretty young for this kind of thinking. They did great,” paleontology teacher Ken Poppe said after the 40-minute “trial” in his classroom

With Earth’s warming accepted as a tenet, pre-teen “lawyers” and “scientists” debated whether humans have caused it.

Eleven jurors listened intently as prosecutors and defendants flashed contradictory graphs tracking global temperatures, carbon dioxide levels, polar ice cap statistics, volcanic activity and sea surface temperatures — all of which were found Wednesday in the school’s computer lab.

“The earth has warmed and cooled over many years. If it’s caused by CO2, why haven’t the charts shot up?” Poppe’s son and lead prosecutor Caleb argued during a rebuttal.

In a climax that sent half the class to its feet and forced the judge to call for order, opponent Monique Nem slapped a contradictory graph onto the prosecution’s table.

“We’ve proven you wrong! The CO2 levels have shot up,” she said.

The jury responded more warmly, however, to Caleb Poppe’s response: The graphic cited a Hawaiian source; Hawaii has volcanoes; volcanoes emit CO2.

In closing arguments, Alexia Hegy said global temperatures actually decreased in the 1960’s, while the global population rose. Humans cannot be at fault, she concluded.

With the final word, defense attorney Sarah Steed countered: “It all comes back to us, the people — not the sun, not the weather. We need to turn off lights when we don’t need them. Bikes can work. The environment can be richer.”

Seven of 11 jurors decided humans are not to blame, but everyone agreed classroom debates make for fun learning.

“It was a hard decision, because both sides made good points,” said student Samantha Roberts.

Ken Poppe said he let students choose which side of the debate to argue. Poppe personally believes global warming is cyclical and not affected by humans, while his Colorado State University student aide David Richards believes the opposite. Both, however, said they presented both sides equally to the students leading up to Thursday’s debate.

“What I think is not the issue. It’s what the students dig up and how they present the case,” Poppe said.

Only one parent questioned Poppe’s decision to hold a global warming debate. That mother expected him to present Al Gore’s global warming movie “An Inconvenient Truth” as indisputable facts, Poppe said. After he explained his neutrality in the classroom, the mom allowed her child to participate in the debate, he said.

“You don’t understand someone’s position until you can argue it to their satisfaction,” Poppe said, quoting a famous physicist. “I don’t believe in Darwinism either, but I can argue it as well as any Darwinist.”

http://www.longmontfyi.com/Local-Story.asp?ID=15357

so cute, you guys had to post it twice! awwwwww.

why should I give a shit what a bunch of grade schoolers think about environmental policy?

Because they are going to determine whether or not you get to use your hotplate when you are in the rest home.

Because they are going to determine whether or not you get to use your hotplate when you are in the rest home.

I'll wait until they grow up before I start making public policy based upon their opinions. Most of them believe in the fucking tooth fairy too..... should we change national dental health policy accordingly?

They have rationally concluded what many reasonable adults have also done.

or are you of the belief that only adults who think like you do are rational?

Adults who do not subscribe to The Debate Is Over mentality are rational.

I find this a little baffling, how can anyone possibly argue that it isnt a good idea to live in harmony with the planet?, If we can make positive changes to do less damage to the environment why dont we?

Why are you argueing?

What is the problem?

You need proof that pumping chemicals into the air we breath and the water we drink is bad?
Are you retarded?
you actaully want to wait until there is indisputable proof of damage before we make changes to our lifestyles?
the fact that there is some evidence now should be enough to tell you there will most likely be more.

Does anyone understand the ecosystem?
Everything on this planet it connected, and we just happen to be on this planet.
We are causing problems, we cant even begin to imagine, in fact when we are presented with some evidence, we argue about it, and we dont care cause we'll be long dead and our grandchildren will have to deal with it.

Why give Al Gore such a hassle for trying to make a difference?

You honestly think we will be worse off if we make efforts to live in harmony with the planet?

Why are we even hesitating to act and make changes that would benefit the environment?

Lower vehicle emissions, Why not?

Force factories to pump out less harmful waste? a bad idea?

The government should pass ligislation and FORCE corporations that produce ANY consumer product package, to make it biodegradable.

How can anyone disagree to make changes for a cleaner planet?

Now a bunch of 6th graders are saying 'screw then environment, we proved it doesnt matter.'
WTF? we should be making children more aware that what they do and the way they live needs to be more congruent with balancing the ecosystem, and helping the environment.

But whatevs, we can call Al Gore wrong, and label him a hipocryte, and send him a message that 11 year olds think he is full of shit.

At least he is trying to help.

Adults who do not subscribe to The Debate Is Over mentality are rational.

Oh..and the "let's keep studying it and talking about it and denying it for the next decade until its too late to do anything if we are wrong" crowd is holding all the rational cards?

yeah....you're sane and the rest of the world is crazy.

stick with that...

So, given your poor opinion of public school students, you must be in favor of school vouchers / parental choice.

So, given your poor opinion of public school students, you must be in favor of school vouchers / parental choice.

you're quite the expert at purposeful misconstruing, aren't you?

the fact that I would believe the overwhelming majority of earth scientists over a sixth grade middle school class does not mean that I have a poor opinion of public schools. The fact that you wouldn't certainly does cause me to have a mighty poor opinion of the public school system YOU were educated in, however. :cuckoo:

The overwhelming majority of Earth Scientists do not believe that human cause global warming. The IPCC citing of scientists includes social scientists and other non-hard science academic who are more political than anything else.

let's not forget...you got that sixth grade class on your side too.... that's powerful testimony for gadflies like you.

:rofl:

I thought you were leaving to have dinner. What is it tonight: haggis or possum pie?

This article is an affront to my intelligence. You honestly, actually want me to believe that because a couple snot-nosed brats who still believe in Santa Claus and haven't even taken an introductory biology, chemistry, or physics class reached this conclusion I should disregard the entirety of the scientific community. This is insulting. Really, pathetic.

Forum List

Back