Kansas snubs lesbian co-parent in Craigslist sperm donor case, attorneys say

BlueGin

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2004
By Jeff Black, Staff Writer, NBC News

A man who donated sperm to a pair of lesbians so they could start a family is now being hounded for child support by the state of Kansas — which refuses to recognize the same-sex coupling.

But William Marotta's attorneys want the now-separated lesbian co-parent to be involved in a lawsuit in which the state claims he is the legal father of a 3-year-old girl.

The state of Kansas contends that Marotta is legally responsible for the girl conceived after he responded to a Craigslist ad placed by the lesbian couple for sperm donation.

Kansas is seeking some $6,000 in back child support.

The ad was placed by Jennifer Schreiner and Angela Bauer more than three years ago with the idea that Marotta, a married mechanic from Topeka, would not be involved in the child’s life or bear any responsibility for her upbringing.

Marotta even signed a contract waiving parental rights and responsibilities — which he thought absolved him from any financial obligations for the child.

In fact, he didn’t even accept the $50 payment offered from Schreiner, who gave birth to the girl, and Bauer, Schreiner’s partner at the time.

The state of Kansas, however, sees it differently. The Sunflower State contends that the contract is invalid because a Kansas law requires that a licensed physician perform any artificial insemination — which was not the case with Schreiner.

Kansas snubs lesbian co-parent in Craigslist sperm donor case, attorneys say - U.S. News

If KS requires a doctor to do artificial insemination, will they then not require a man to pay child support if a woman gets her self pregant after the act using the contents of a condom?

A man who donated sperm to a pair of lesbians so they could start a family is now being hounded for child support by the state of Kansas — which refuses to recognize the same-sex coupling.

But William Marotta's attorneys want the now-separated lesbian co-parent to be involved in a lawsuit in which the state claims he is the legal father of a 3-year-old girl.

The state of Kansas contends that Marotta is legally responsible for the girl conceived after he responded to a Craigslist ad placed by the lesbian couple for sperm donation.

The ad was placed by Jennifer Schreiner and Angela Bauer more than three years ago with the idea that Marotta, a married mechanic from Topeka, would not be involved in the child’s life or bear any responsibility for her upbringing.

Marotta even signed a contract waiving parental rights and responsibilities — which he thought absolved him from any financial obligations for the child.

In fact, he didn’t even accept the $50 payment offered from Schreiner, who gave birth to the girl, and Bauer, Schreiner’s partner at the time.

The state of Kansas, however, sees it differently. The Sunflower State contends that the contract is invalid because a Kansas law requires that a licensed physician perform any artificial insemination — which was not the case with Schreiner.

Kansas snubs lesbian co-parent in Craigslist sperm donor case, attorneys say - U.S. News

Sorry, I can't feel sorry for any guy that gives his sperm away on Craigs list. :badgrin:

Sorry, I can't feel sorry for any guy that gives his sperm away on Craigs list. :badgrin:

aaaand my morning vitamin water almost ended up sprayed onto my monitor... thanks dude.

If KS requires a doctor to do artificial insemination, will they then not require a man to pay child support if a woman gets her self pregant after the act using the contents of a condom?

Slippery slope. Could keep men from donating if that is the case. Definately should be the other partner who pays for support...not the man they recruited for sperm.

Yeah...that was just weird. What kind of person sells sperm on Craigs list...let alone seeks to buy it. Gross. :eusa_eh:

Slippery slope. Could keep men from donating if that is the case. Definately should be the other partner who pays for support...not the man they recruited for sperm.

Yeah...that was just weird. What kind of person sells sperm on Craigs list...let alone seeks to buy it. Gross. :eusa_eh:

To be fair, Craigs list is pretty hot. Thankfully I'm usually able to control myself when I visit ths site, however.

To be fair, Craigs list is pretty hot. Thankfully I'm usually able to control myself when I visit ths site, however.

Glad to hear it...wouldn't want to be reading about you in the news lol

Who knew used junk was so stimulating...could be a useful bit of info to tuck away for use in the future. If I wanna get my dates hot...I will just give them a tour of my garage. :razz:

Glad to hear it...wouldn't want to be reading about you in the news lol

Who knew used junk was so stimulating...could be a useful bit of info to tuck away for use in the future. If I wanna get my dates hot...I will just give them a tour of my garage. :razz:

Our lawmakers are a shrewd bunch. They realize that anyone stupid enough to give away their sperm on Craigs list should be an easy target for taking his money.

Goodness me. He helped two women realise their dream of becoming parents. Too bad if Kansas doesn't recognise the coupling. This will make every potential sperm donor think twice about donating now!

Goodness me. He helped two women realise their dream of becoming parents. Too bad if Kansas doesn't recognise the coupling. This will make every potential sperm donor think twice about donating now!

It does come off as kind of a racket, when you get right down to it.

So a sperm donor is off the hook if a doctor implants the sperm, but he's on the hook if he used the method that evolution spent billions of years perfecting?

Seriously?

So a sperm donor is off the hook if a doctor implants the sperm, but he's on the hook if he used the method that evolution spent billions of years perfecting?

Seriously?

Well...yeah. People who seek sperm the old fashioned way are looking for some form of intimacy. People who have it implanted are trying to avoid any intimacy. They can't then have it both ways when it comes to child support.

Seriously?

Well...yeah. People who seek sperm the old fashioned way are looking for some form of intimacy. People who have it implanted are trying to avoid any intimacy. They can't then have it both ways when it comes to child support.

Sorry, not buying it.

The story doesn't specify if they used the natural way of implanting the sperm or a turkey baster, but clearly, they didn't want "intimacy" with this guy, nor he with them.

This guy really should be off the hook, IMHO.

Seriously?

Sorry, not buying it.

The story doesn't specify if they used the natural way of implanting the sperm or a turkey baster, but clearly, they didn't want "intimacy" with this guy, nor he with them.

This guy really should be off the hook, IMHO.

Maybe I misunderstood the point you were making then,because I agree... he should be off the hook.

Forum List

Back