Juvenile record and Gun Rights!

Should a Juvenile record prevent you from owning or carrying a pistol when you are an adult?

• Total voters

ThatDude30

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Should something you did when you were a kid, and got charged wit 3 felonies that are on the list that if committed will ban an adult forever from owning a pistol, effect you from owning and or carrying a pistol?
I think a juvenile record shouldn't effect your right of owning a pistol when you are an adult. Kids do dumb things. A lot of the time the decisions they make are influenced by other kids or peer pressure. Or to just look cool. A lot of kids don't know or understand consequences of committing crimes. The way its going now, Maybe schools should make it a point to teach more law throughout high school, not just laws but the consequences associated with breaking laws. In my high school they had a class that taught law and economics, but there was very little coverage on criminal law.

What do you guys think?

What makes you think they are even going to school?

Should something you did when you were a kid, and got charged wit 3 felonies that are on the list that if committed will ban an adult forever from owning a pistol, effect you from owning and or carrying a pistol?
I think a juvenile record shouldn't effect your right of owning a pistol when you are an adult. Kids do dumb things. A lot of the time the decisions they make are influenced by other kids or peer pressure. Or to just look cool. A lot of kids don't know or understand consequences of committing crimes. The way its going now, Maybe schools should make it a point to teach more law throughout high school, not just laws but the consequences associated with breaking laws. In my high school they had a class that taught law and economics, but there was very little coverage on criminal law.

What do you guys think?

Your record doesn't go away (in many states) when you turn 18.

If those 3 felonies were in any part of a violent crime then I would say no.

What do you guys think?

All 3 felonies are on the list that prohibits adults from being able too.
I don't think, if you did the crime when you were under the age of 18, it should stop you from being allowed to own a pistol when you are an adult. Juveniles get adjudicated not convicted. I learned my lesson and see things totally different now. If I would of not gotten caught when I did, I may of done something worse and ended up in jail a long time or dead. People change and you shouldn't loose your adult rights for something you did when you were a child.

Once you have "paid your debt to society" (i.e., freed and not on parole), you are entitled to all of your Constitutional rights and civil liberties (e.g., voting, self-defense, etc.)

it depends. 'should' is the key word.... what were the charges? petty crap- of course not. violent or repeated offenses that show a lack of remorse & a behavioral turn around? yes.

if you used the word 'must' then i would have clicked on no.

Once you have "paid your debt to society" (i.e., freed and not on parole), you are entitled to all of your Constitutional rights and civil liberties (e.g., voting, self-defense, etc.)
Precisely. I find that treating citizens as second class, after having served their sentence violates the cruel, and unusual punishment clause...

Precisely. I find that treating citizens as second class, after having served their sentence violates the cruel, and unusual punishment clause...

worst case scenerio.... a 'juvenile' pedophile gets out. now what?

What do you mean, "gets out"; "now what"?

gets out = served its time & is no longer incarcerated.

now what? = does it get to have a gun under your interpretation of the constitutional violation?

now what? = does it get to have a gun under your interpretation of the constitutional violation?
Yes.

Yes.

yep...i had no doubt you would say that.

lol.............

I agree.

Now, on the other hand, when/if the citizens in question commit more crimes, THAT is when those records should be released imo.

NO reason some serial rapist should be treated a first time offender just because of some imaginary line.

I agree.

Now, on the other hand, when/if the citizens in question commit more crimes, THAT is when those records should be released imo.

NO reason some serial rapist should be treated a first time offender just because of some imaginary line.
Of course penalties should increase in severity for repeat convictions, of said offenses. The problem here is the penalties.

What do you guys think?

All 3 felonies are on the list that prohibits adults from being able too.
I don't think, if you did the crime when you were under the age of 18, it should stop you from being allowed to own a pistol when you are an adult. Juveniles get adjudicated not convicted. I learned my lesson and see things totally different now. If I would of not gotten caught when I did, I may of done something worse and ended up in jail a long time or dead. People change and you shouldn't loose your adult rights for something you did when you were a child.

Juveniles do get convicted. Adjudication simply means the case was heard. You need to check into getting your record expunged if possible. It proves you have changed.

Frankly, some people change and others do not.

Juveniles do not get convicted unless they are tried as an adult. I went to a placement for almost 2 years when I was 17. I learned all about the law. Committing a crime as a juvenile and found guilty, they are adjudicated with those charges, its the same thing as being convicted as an adult but not as severe. The only people that can see if a person ever been adjudicated as a juvenile, is the courts. Employers, Banks, public, can not see that information, it doesn't show up on any public records. Adjudications purpose is to aid in the rehabilitation of a juvenile. So if a juvenile goes through the process and successfully completes it, it should have any effect on their adult rights. In my county you can get your permit to carry and buy a firearm if its been 15 years after the crime or you turn 30 years old, without any other major trouble.

Juveniles do not get convicted unless they are tried as an adult. I went to a placement for almost 2 years when I was 17. I learned all about the law. Committing a crime as a juvenile and found guilty, they are adjudicated with those charges, its the same thing as being convicted as an adult but not as severe. The only people that can see if a person ever been adjudicated as a juvenile, is the courts. Employers, Banks, public, can not see that information, it doesn't show up on any public records. Adjudications purpose is to aid in the rehabilitation of a juvenile. So if a juvenile goes through the process and successfully completes it, it should have any effect on their adult rights. In my county you can get your permit to carry and buy a firearm if its been 15 years after the crime or you turn 30 years old, without any other major trouble.

Adjudicated delinquent. It's pretty for convicted in a court of law.Juveniles absolutely are convicted. It isn't the name that implies rehabilitation. It's the age. Does the severity kick in when ya hit the DOC?

Vehicle violation? Insurance companies have access to it. Need a license for ??? Guess who has access? It depends on who is doing the background check and for what employer. If it is humanly possible to have that sealed or expunged then that prevents any problem for most jobs.

Under certain circumstances, juvenile criminal records may even be accessible to the general public. As juvenile crime has increased and become more violent, policy makers have had to balance between competing interests: the interests of the community and juveniles’ privacy.

Some courts may allow public access to juvenile delinquency records when “the public’s right to know and the strong interests of the victims outweigh any concern about stigmatizing the minor or endangering his chances of rehabilitation.” (U.S. v. L.M., 425 F.Supp.2d 948 (N.D. Iowa 2006).) However, agencies may have to redact sensitive information about minors in such situations, including their names.

Some states have laws that allow law enforcement agencies to release identifying information under certain circumstances. In California, for example, law enforcement agencies have some discretion to release the names of juveniles accused of crimes that are classified as serious or violent. (Cal. Welf. & Inst. Code § § 827.2, 827.5, 827.6 (2014).) And sealing and destruction of juvenile records aren't allowed for those 14 or older who have committed such offenses. (Cal. Welf. & Inst. Code § 781 (2014).) The intent behind the prohibition against record sealing and destruction in California is to hold youthful offenders more accountable for their behavior. (In re Jeffrey T., supra.)
Exceptions to Confidentiality of Juvenile Criminal Records

Typically, juvenile records are not automatically sealed and you have to petition the court to officially seal them. Once they're sealed, then generally all records held by the police department, the court, the district attorney, and the probation department will be deemed not to have occurred and you can legally answer no to questions about a criminal record on a routine background check--though there may be different rules for FBI background checks or for certain licensing applications. However, keep in mind you may not need to seal records relating to a juvenile arrest if the case was dismissed or charges were otherwise dropped. Each case is different, and your juvenile record may not be what you think. For more information about your juvenile record and whether or not you should have it sealed, contact an attorney who can advise you about your particular situation.
Juvenile Records And Background Checks - LawInfo

My lawyer said I have no record. Employers that did background checks didn't see a thing. You look me up on public records, nothing comes up. When I got a DUI the judge wouldn't give me ard based on my juvenile record.

And that is lovely in PA. Again it differs by state and it depends on who is doing the back ground check and for what type of employment.

While I was in placement they staff and counselors would always tell us, that we weren't convicted we were adjudicated. So when answering the question on a job application, "Have you ever been convicted of a crime", check no. So is that the same for applying for a firearm?

Forum List

Back