Justices Agree on Right to Own Guns

I see you can not comprehend the written word. I want statistics on legal owners using their legal weapons to commit crimes.

And you aren't going to get them because I can't find the stats. However 600,000 are STOLEN. Where do you think those go, the fucking tooth fairy?

Using your logic we should disarm the National Guard, Police and Military since weapons are stolen from them yearly as well. We should shut down all weapons manufacturing plants since they too can be robbed as well as storage facilities for weapons not yet shipped to stores, military or police.

Please cite how many are stolen per year.

There is ONLY one way banning weapons works.... when you can magically remove from this planet the means and ability and knowledge how to make firearms, then banning them will work. Other wise the weapons will flow from somewhere else to here. Across the Mexican border, through our porous ports and aboard aircraft entering this country.

Thats because you have moronic expectations. The claim is that it will reduce deaths, not that it will get stop firearm deaths altogether. Not exactly hard to do considering 34,000 people die from them a year.

I suggest you read up on the English ban, Since handguns and most weapons were banned gun violence has soared. I wonder where those blokes are getting those guns from , I mean none of them are legal.

Exactly what gun ban are you talking about? England has had numerous gun laws passed over the years.

And you aren't going to get them because I can't find the stats. However 600,000 are STOLEN. Where do you think those go, the fucking tooth fairy?

Please cite how many are stolen per year.

Thats because you have moronic expectations. The claim is that it will reduce deaths, not that it will get stop firearm deaths altogether. Not exactly hard to do considering 34,000 people die from them a year.

And yet you do not care that close to 50k are killed a year in car accidents and thousands more injured, nor that BILLIONS are lost due to those accidents and the non fatal ones. They are comparable, it is estimated 2 to 3 hundred million firearms are in private hands in the US, we only have a little over 300 million citizens so there can't be that many privately owned vehicles.

Do the math 34k out of 300 million. And then break the 34 k down since they are not all murders.

Exactly what gun ban are you talking about? England has had numerous gun laws passed over the years.

If your gonna argue at least educate yourself on the topic Mensa boy. England recently banned all handguns and nearly all rifles and shotguns. And promptly had a surge in gun related crimes and all other crimes, they are approaching our level of crime since the ban.

And yet you do not care that close to 50k are killed a year in car accidents and thousands more injured, nor that BILLIONS are lost due to those accidents and the non fatal ones. They are comparable, it is estimated 2 to 3 hundred million firearms are in private hands in the US, we only have a little over 300 million citizens so there can't be that many privately owned vehicles.

:eusa_wall:

And how many lives are saved from cars? I've already made this point, its annoying that you choose to ignore it and make the same asinine point again.

By the way, if you had to walk to the hospital instead of drive, do you think you would have gotten there before you blew your head off? A car helped to save your, and countless other peoples, lives.

Do the math 34k out of 300 million. And then break the 34 k down since they are not all murders.

Oh, well cheers. Its statistically pretty small. That makes the 34,000 dead every year much happier.

If your gonna argue at least educate yourself on the topic Mensa boy. England recently banned all handguns and nearly all rifles and shotguns. And promptly had a surge in gun related crimes and all other crimes, they are approaching our level of crime since the ban.

*sigh*

They've had a number of bans, moron. I'm asking you which one. Here are two you can choose from.

Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988. This confined semiautomatic and pump-action centrefire rifles; military weapons firing explosive ammunition; short shotguns that had magazines; and both elevated pump-action and self-loading rifles to the Prohibited category.[12] Registration and secure storage of weapons held on shotgun certificates became required, and shotguns with more than a 2+1 capacity came to need a Firearms certificate. The law also introduced new restrictions on shotguns, although rifles in .22 rimfire and semi-automatic pistols were unaffected.

Or perhaps this one?

Firearms (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 1997 which means that as of 1997 handguns have been almost completely banned for private ownership, although the official inquiry, known as the Cullen Inquiry, did not go so far as to recommend such action.[13] Exceptions to the ban include muzzle-loading "blackpowder" guns, pistols produced before 1917, pistols of historical interest (such as pistols used in notable crimes, rare prototypes, unusual serial numbers and so on), starting pistols, pistols that are of particular aesthetic interest (such as engraved or jewelled guns) and shot pistols for pest control. Under certain circumstances, individuals may be issued a PPW (Personal Protection Weapon) Licence. Even Britain's Olympic shooters fall under this ban; as a result of this law, the British pistol shooting team must train outside the country.[14]

I think you just made that shit up, rgs. Do you have a link to verify your allegation?

I didn't think so.

:eusa_wall:

And how many lives are saved from cars? I've already made this point, its annoying that you choose to ignore it and make the same asinine point again.

By the way, if you had to walk to the hospital instead of drive, do you think you would have gotten there before you blew your head off? A car helped to save your, and countless other peoples, lives.

Oh, well cheers. Its statistically pretty small. That makes the 34,000 dead every year much happier.

*sigh*

They've had a number of bans, moron. I'm asking you which one. Here are two you can choose from.

Or perhaps this one?

I love your ignorant attempt to claim that if we banned private ownership of cars we would have no ambulances, police cars, taxis or firetrucks. You haven't a leg to stand on so instead resort to deception.

Just as , for example, in Washington DC it is illegal for a private citizen to own a hand gun it does not mean the police and military don't have them, to include private security forces, banning private ownership of cars would not mean all cars would vanish.

Are you arguing for cause and effect?

Criminals with firearms are one thing.

Ordinary people with firearms are another thing.

The reason for armed criminals in the UK is down to - guess what? Legal immigration and the development of organised crime in immigrant groups. Yardies started to be a problem about 15 years ago, of course they're totally out of hand now. But Eastern European organised criminals are at it too.

Firearms control has nothing to do with armed crime.

Are you arguing for cause and effect?

Criminals with firearms are one thing.

Ordinary people with firearms are another thing.

The reason for armed criminals in the UK is down to - guess what? Legal immigration and the development of organised crime in immigrant groups. Yardies started to be a problem about 15 years ago, of course they're totally out of hand now. But Eastern European organised criminals are at it too.

Firearms control has nothing to do with armed crime.

And yet people like Larkinn claim it is. His whole claim being that if we just ban guns crime will go down. If GUNS were the problem Switzerland would be a no mans land of chaos and anarchy, dead bodies littering the streets, shoot outs over every fender bender, mass murder at the Courts and the colleges. I mean they do ISSUE military rifles and ammunition to EVERY able bodied man in the Country.

The best outcome from this, in my opinion, would be a ruling that clearly establishes the right to own weapons is an individual right, but that like ALL rights the Government can and will legislate limits on that right.

And yet people like Larkinn claim it is. His whole claim being that if we just ban guns crime will go down. If GUNS were the problem Switzerland would be a no mans land of chaos and anarchy, dead bodies littering the streets, shoot outs over every fender bender, mass murder at the Courts and the colleges. I mean they do ISSUE military rifles and ammunition to EVERY able bodied man in the Country.

I've never been an adherent to the no guns no crime argument. The reason is that I know how easy it is for criminals to get firearms illegally. I'm not speaking out of school here but many years ago in a certain place I worked in a certain situation I and a few other blokes found ourselves in quite a bit of strife. I won't go into details but a friend of mine in town in the pub one afternoon told me he knew what was going on and did I want a machine-pistol. He was European, he meant Maschinenpistole. I declined. I already had a decent weapon on order. His offer wasn't empty, in that town he could have got me one. I didn't want to get him or me in strife.

My argument for gun control is based on the understanding that the overwhelming majority of people are responsible and that they can be trusted with firearms of their own. It's fine-tuning what sort of weapons (and associated issues) that's important. It's regulating the lawful weapons.

When I refer to criminals I don't mean the person who has a lawful weapon and goes postal. For me they're not "criminals", they're nutters. Martin Bryant who perpetrated the Port Arthur Massacre wasn't a "criminal" in the sense of my use of the world. He was mentally ill, he should never have had lawful access to firearms - but he did and the legislation in Tasmania was so slack that Bryant could purchase firearms lawfully. That's what I mean by gun control. I know it won't stop everything but it does have some benefit.

I've never been an adherent to the no guns no crime argument. The reason is that I know how easy it is for criminals to get firearms illegally. I'm not speaking out of school here but many years ago in a certain place I worked in a certain situation I and a few other blokes found ourselves in quite a bit of strife. I won't go into details but a friend of mine in town in the pub one afternoon told me he knew what was going on and did I want a machine-pistol. He was European, he meant Maschinenpistole. I declined. I already had a decent weapon on order. His offer wasn't empty, in that town he could have got me one. I didn't want to get him or me in strife.

My argument for gun control is based on the understanding that the overwhelming majority of people are responsible and that they can be trusted with firearms of their own. It's fine-tuning what sort of weapons (and associated issues) that's important. It's regulating the lawful weapons.

When I refer to criminals I don't mean the person who has a lawful weapon and goes postal. For me they're not "criminals", they're nutters. Martin Bryant who perpetrated the Port Arthur Massacre wasn't a "criminal" in the sense of my use of the world. He was mentally ill, he should never have had lawful access to firearms - but he did and the legislation in Tasmania was so slack that Bryant could purchase firearms lawfully. That's what I mean by gun control. I know it won't stop everything but it does have some benefit.

However Larkinn is the one that keeps insisting that banning guns WILL lower crime. And he is the one I am usually responding to. Reasonable restrictions are a given. And I suggest we already HAVE REASONABLE restrictions and in some place UNREASONABLE restrictions. There are something like 20000 laws on the books dealing with firearms. Enforce the laws we have.

Nutters like Larkinn would take all guns away from all law abiding citizens because he does not trust people. He is a liberal, they think they are smarter and more capable then the rest of us. They think they know what is best and that the majority of people are just to dumb to run their own lives without Mensa boys help.

He doesn't even have a sane argument. He keeps claiming the number of people killed is all that matters, yet has no problem with thousands more dying every year in car accidents. His entire argument is "one is to many" well except when it comes to cars. Or unborn babies as well.

He keeps claiming banning guns will lessen crime. He has no evidence of that and in fact there is evidence the opposite happens.

I can't speak for another poster. All I can do is post what I think and what I know and then only from my own situation.

I try to keep out of the specifically US-based discussion on gun control (I try to discuss it in general terms).

As for anyone being liberal, I feel uncomfortable with the American definitions but I am on the moderate left in my country in political opinion. I see no problem with my political orientation and my attitude towards gun control - in my country. I know plenty of people in my country on my side of politics who would argue the toss with me (and have done so) and I'm happy to do so, I won't be pigeonholed. I've said this before here, I don't own a firearm now but I used to and I have used one for much of my working life (never had to use it thankfully).

I don't know if the gun control debate can actually continue in the US to any good effect (I'm not breaking my rule, I'm making an observation) because of the increasingly polarised views on pro and anti (I would ask that some critical thinking be done though, why would the NRA want less gun control?) and if you throw crime into the mix it becomes even more murkey.

One point I'm consistent on though. Crime won't be ameliorated by gun control. The causes of crime have little, if anything, to do with the private ownership/possession/use of firearms.

I love your ignorant attempt to claim that if we banned private ownership of cars we would have no ambulances, police cars, taxis or firetrucks. You haven't a leg to stand on so instead resort to deception.

You said Ban cars, not ban cars for private citizens. Sorry but I'm not a mind reader and if I was I definitely wouldn't try and read that muddled and broken mess inside your head.

Alright so emergency vehicles are allowed. And taxis? That seems stupid because now everyone just has someone else drive them to work. Because we all know how safely taxis drive :rolleyes:

The claim was never that guns cause a person to do harm, but that they make that harm a LOT easier to accomplish.

The claim was never that guns cause a person to do harm, but that they make that harm a LOT easier to accomplish.

so do lots of other things, dude. THAT is the point. You can't preempt the unpredictable nature of life by putting everyone in a nice safe box on a shelf. You are doing to gun rights what Ferlingetti fended off while preserving the freedom of speech for city lights bookstore. trudat.

so do lots of other things, dude. THAT is the point. You can't preempt the unpredictable nature of life by putting everyone in a nice safe box on a shelf. You are doing to gun rights what Ferlingetti fended off while preserving the freedom of speech for city lights bookstore. trudat.

Except that guns have only ONE purpose and thats to kill things. Household cleaners are used to clean. Cars are used to transport. Each can cause death, but they have other purposes which help society.

What are a guns other purposes?

Guns are for trained soldiers and educated hunters. But, criminals like them as well. Just what is a peace loving American to do?
Stop the violence -- shoot back.

Any criminal that knowingly comes after a person that has a gun is -exactly- the kind of criminal we need to be able to protect ourselves from.

Forum List

Back