College financial aid for predators riles some

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
Associated Press
updated 3:00 p.m. CT, Mon., March. 17, 2008

MADISON, Wis. - James Sturtz is not your ordinary college student struggling to pay tuition.

The 48-year-old rapist is one of Iowa's most dangerous sex offenders, locked up in a state-run treatment center for fear he will attack again if released. Yet he has received thousands of dollars in federal aid to take college courses through the mail.

Across the nation, dozens of sexual predators have been taking higher education classes at taxpayer expense while confined by the courts to treatment centers. Critics say they are exploiting a loophole to receive Pell Grants, the nation's premier financial aid program for low-income students.

Prison inmates are ineligible for Pell Grants under a 1994 law. Students convicted of certain drug offenses are also ineligible. But sexual predators qualify once they are transferred from prison to treatment centers.

"This is the most insane waste of taxpayer money that I have seen in my eight years in Congress," said Rep. Ric Keller, R-Fla., who is pushing to stop the practice. "It is a national embarrassment that we are wasting taxpayer dollars for pedophiles and rapists to take college courses while hardworking young people from lower-class families are flipping hamburgers to pay for college."

more ... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23677666/

I agree with Keller on this issue. Insane waste is an understatement.

You know...this makes me sick. I had to pay for the majority of my education out of pocket.

It reminds me of a story I read the other day of a Navy Officer who was dishonerably discharged for becoming a sex-offender. He's still recieving a pension..my tax-dollars hard at work. They should leave these sex-offenders to rot in prison. As if HBO and a nice workout after lunch isn't punishment enough.

If it wasn'f for dumbass spending like this, then their might be more money out there.

You know...this makes me sick. I had to pay for the majority of my education out of pocket.

It reminds me of a story I read the other day of a Navy Officer who was dishonerably discharged for becoming a sex-offender. He's still recieving a pension..my tax-dollars hard at work. They should leave these sex-offenders to rot in prison. As if HBO and a nice workout after lunch isn't punishment enough.

If it wasn'f for dumbass spending like this, then their might be more money out there.

One cannot be dishonorably discharged AND receive a retirement check. Something's wrong with that story.

But I agree it sucks for contributing members to society who have to bust their ass to get through college while sex offenders can get it for free.

Originally Posted by BrianH

One cannot be dishonorably discharged AND receive a retirement check. Something's wrong with that story.

But I agree it sucks for contributing members to society who have to bust their ass to get through college while sex offenders can get it for free.

The Gunny is right. And IIRC Commissioned and Warrant Officers are not Dishonorably Discharged. The proper term is Dismissal From the Service. And, nope, no retirement bennies.

BTW, I'd just as soon shoot the bastard. Take the body out to the dumpster and hang a sign on it that reads "failed human being". No retirement bennies there either.

This tag team trivia courtesy of one bored guy......

ok...I'll have to check that story again...I probably misread something. If I find it, I'll try and post the link.

I agree with your method :cool:

Forum List

Back