Justice Thomas Should Step Down

Justice Thomas is married to Virginia Thomas, who this past week announced she is opening a conservative lobbying shop, libertyinc.co. Virginia Thomas, a self-styled "ambassador to the Tea Party" creates a conflict for her husband in cases where she has represented one of the parties, and he should not hear such cases.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/05/us/politics/05thomas.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=thomas%20wife%20tea%20party&st=cse

But beyond that, his wife's ambition and extremist views make me uncomfy with Thomas hearing any further SCOTUS cases.

Thomas has been a controversial appointment since Day One and has not covered himself in glory since assuming his robes. I say it is time for him to resign altogether.

Thoughts?

He should be removed because he has an extremist wife? Not good enough. Anyone can be influenced by their spouse or friends or whatever.

Anyone ever watch some of the cases on cspan? Thomas says nothing, it is as if he suffers from fear of 'foot in the mouth syndrome?' The man is a blind ideologue and a robot could replace him, you know where he is on every case. But his wife has to be a bit loony as the call to Anita Hill demonstrated. Given her position in lobbying how would anyone expect anything but corporate activism from this judge. Scalia and Alito are activist corporate tools as well. Whenever anyone says it makes no difference who gets elected, you only have to look at the ideologues the republicans select, to know it can make a big difference. Thomas should have recused himself from the 'Citizens United' case, but ideologues are blind enough not to see what justice even means.

This is excellent if you have time. Democracy after Citizens United | MIT World

"Personally, I question whether any of these approaches will work. The CU ruling established control over all three branches of government. The president and members of congress now know that they cannot be reelected without the financial support of corporations and special interest groups."
Citizens United - One year later - Steven Rockford - Open Salon

Given what I've seen of Democrat and liberal leaders on the news, I realize that it would be tough for anyone on the leftist side to understand that wisdom is not demonstrated by running your gums incessantly whether or not you have anything worthwhile to say.
Nor is it demonstrated through blanket statements.

Two for the price of one!

^ Looks like a Simpleholic admission that he is a slow witted tool like ridikules.

Good.

It's a start.
How do we know if he is being influenced by her teabagging? And all the big bucks she's pulling in?

I guess we'll know by the decisions he makes and the votes he takes.

Whatever opinions she holds and whatever influence she had on her husband existed before she got this job, numbfuck. Are you really thinking she JUST morphed into a political conservative as of the moment of hire, and is NOW going to be saying things she never did before? Jesus, you get more ignorant every time you talk.

The one and only concern that might exist about this job is the possibility that the US Supreme Court MIGHT someday be called to rule on a case involving this group. IF and WHEN that happens, and only then, will this truly be a topic for conversation, and not a lame, puerile, thinly-veiled attack on Justice Thomas purely for disagreement with his political opinions and juvenile hatred of him for daring to hold those opinions.

Jason Doiy/The Recorder

SAN FRANCISCO, Ninth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals Judge Stephen Reinhardt today said he wouldn't recuse himself from the Proposition 8 case set to be argued Monday. In a short order responding to a motion filed by Prop 8 proponents Wednesday night, Reinhardt said he can and will be impartial in the case.

The motion cited his wife Ramona Ripston's longtime role as the executive director of the ACLU of Southern California and contended that she conferred with the plaintiffs before the suit was filed, has generally advocated for gay marriage, and that her office sought to intervene in and filed an amicus curiae brief in the litigation before U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker.

Circuit judges, like U.S. Supreme Court judges, have sole discretion on whether to recuse, and there is no appeal mechanism, meaning it's all but assured that the liberal Carter appointee will be on the panel Monday when attorneys give oral arguments in the gay rights case.

Reinhardt Says He Won't Step Off Prop 8 Case

It never bothered liberals when it was the most liberal judge in America whose wife's work created a conflict of interest. If Reinhardts claim that he could me impartial satisfied them, Thomas' should satisfy them equally.

Well, I'm a Liberal, and this is the first time I've heard about this. He should have recused himself if she was working on that Prop 8 campaign.

Justice Thomas is married to Virginia Thomas, who this past week announced she is opening a conservative lobbying shop, libertyinc.co. Virginia Thomas, a self-styled "ambassador to the Tea Party" creates a conflict for her husband in cases where she has represented one of the parties, and he should not hear such cases.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/05/us/politics/05thomas.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=thomas%20wife%20tea%20party&st=cse

But beyond that, his wife's ambition and extremist views make me uncomfy with Thomas hearing any further SCOTUS cases.

Thomas has been a controversial appointment since Day One and has not covered himself in glory since assuming his robes. I say it is time for him to resign altogether.

Thoughts?

Thomas has been useless as a justice anyway. He's nothing more than Scalia's poodle, that extra tipping vote for the conservative vote. It sickens me that the USSC has become a political body, when the Constitution set out to specifically establish an arms-length arbiter as a final "check" on the balance of power.

Thomas has been useless as a justice anyway. He's nothing more than Scalia's poodle, that extra tipping vote for the conservative vote. It sickens me that the USSC has become a political body, when the Constitution set out to specifically establish an arms-length arbiter as a final "check" on the balance of power.

let me translate:

"it doesnt go the way i want it to so either I am wrong, or it is bad.....

yep, it's bad!!"

let me translate:

yep, it's bad!!"

Thomas has never uttered a word in full court proceedings with oral arguments among the justices. The USSC has been decidedly an activist court leaning conservative for years. It's common knowledge.

The fact that a person can rise to the ranks of US Supreme Court Judge and not KNOW that his wife collecting wages on topics the USSC has or will consider, is unacceptable and he should recuse himself. If and when the docket also contains issues presenting a conflict of interest for Justice Kagan, I would hope she too would recuse herself.

let me translate:

yep, it's bad!!"

Thomas has never uttered a word in full court proceedings with oral arguments among the justices. The USSC has been decidedly an activist court leaning conservative for years. It's common knowledge.

The fact that a person can rise to the ranks of US Supreme Court Judge and not KNOW that his wife collecting wages on topics the USSC has or will consider, is unacceptable and he should recuse himself. If and when the docket also contains issues presenting a conflict of interest for Justice Kagan, I would hope she too would recuse herself.

It is also common knowledge that evolution is not true.

let me translate:

yep, it's bad!!"

It is also common knowledge that evolution is not true.

Does anyone really know? I actually prefer to think we're the product of aliens who visited earth many thousands of years ago. But I think the debate between evolution and intelligent design is interesting because any debate regarding science v. religion is fascinating.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/15/us/politics/15thomas.html?_r=1&ref=davidhkoch

The Koch Brothers are not about liberty or freedom; aren't about We The People; aren't about The General Welfare or Establishing Justice. The Koch Brothers and their minions are all about avarice, bigotry and a callous disregard for the principles upon which our nation was founded. They are the leaders of a small group of plotters designed to fundamentally change America into a plutocracy.

Thoughts?
Utter nonsense....His wife can be involved with what she wants, and the controversy was nothing more than slander, as is to be expected from some. The Tea Party is not radical get a grip.

Bull. Just the huge implication of impropriety should be enough for him to recuse himself, which is all anyone is asking. If Thomas refuses, he'll only be subject to more criticism, which the man cannot tolerate in the first place.

^ Looks like a Simpleholic admission that he is a slow witted tool like ridikules.

Good.

It's a start.
How do we know if he is being influenced by her teabagging? And all the big bucks she's pulling in?

Idiot that Simpleholic is, he can't even see what a fool he just made of himself.

"How do we know?" :cuckoo:

Moron, "how do we know" that Soros isn't finger fucking Kagan under her robes to influence her votes?

Damn, but Simpleholic is one stupid tool.

To whatever extent Justice Thomas' wife's Tea Party views concern you, you idiot, it is highly probable that a conservative jurist like Justice Thomas has already been "influenced" -- in the same general direction -- by his own political philosophy. It's not like he doesn't have a track record already, you nimrod. So if he votes in a case along conservative lines, you will not know if he has spoken with his wife about it at all.

Too bad for you.

The simple answer to your disgusting observation is that if the American people can't trust even Supreme Court Justices to behave without being overly influenced even by their spouses, then we might just as well rip up the Constitution. It means squat. "Everybody in the water and make up your own rules" would replace it.

And by the way, why don't you take your graphic insults somewhere else where like-minded fratboys will appreciate your garbage? Every time you post here, you stink it up.

Idiot that Simpleholic is, he can't even see what a fool he just made of himself.

Moron, "how do we know" that Soros isn't finger fucking Kagan under her robes to influence her votes?

To whatever extent Justice Thomas' wife's Tea Party views concern you, you idiot, it is highly probable that a conservative jurist like Justice Thomas has already been "influenced" -- in the same general direction -- by his own political philosophy. It's not like he doesn't have a track record already, you nimrod. So if he votes in a case along conservative lines, you will not know if he has spoken with his wife about it at all.

Too bad for you.
So, you're saying he's going to vote wingnut anyway, so her activities do not matter?

No. I'm saying that he is a conservative and thus will not vote wingnut. Wingnuts like the uber-libz presently infesting the bench "vote wingnut."

Honest, dedicated, rational, reasonable, fair and logical jurists, like Justice Thomas, tend to vote according to what the law and the Constitution actually say.

Ergo, it obviously doesn't matter what his wife believes or doesn't believe. He will vote in the manner we've come to expect. Logical, balanced, reasonable, conservative, supportive of the precepts of our Constitutionally limited government and fair.

God you're dumb. Pathetically dumb. The USSC isn't supposed to be made up of wingnuts, period. However, in the case of Clarence Thomas, he states in his 2007 book that he believed himself to be a victim of liberals. Had that book been written before his confirmation, he wouldn't be sitting where he is.

All the left wing racists want Thomas to step down, shocker.....

On the contrary, it proves that the right wing racists pick and choose which black men to worship. If Thomas had been just a black man working community projects for the underprivileged, you would hate him too.

Thoughts?

He should be removed because he has an extremist wife? Not good enough. Anyone can be influenced by their spouse or friends or whatever.

Nobody's asking for his removal. Pay attention.

Good.

It's a start.

Whatever opinions she holds and whatever influence she had on her husband existed before she got this job, numbfuck. Are you really thinking she JUST morphed into a political conservative as of the moment of hire, and is NOW going to be saying things she never did before? Jesus, you get more ignorant every time you talk.

The one and only concern that might exist about this job is the possibility that the US Supreme Court MIGHT someday be called to rule on a case involving this group. IF and WHEN that happens, and only then, will this truly be a topic for conversation, and not a lame, puerile, thinly-veiled attack on Justice Thomas purely for disagreement with his political opinions and juvenile hatred of him for daring to hold those opinions.

Once again, if one of the "liberal" justices had the history (before, during, and with these new revelations) that Clarence Thomas is now famous for, the right would be screaming their heads of...and asking for his/her head. Hypocrisy is thy middle name.

Too bad for you.

The simple answer to your disgusting observation is that if the American people can't trust even Supreme Court Justices to behave without being overly influenced even by their spouses, then we might just as well rip up the Constitution. It means squat. "Everybody in the water and make up your own rules" would replace it.

Ah, Magoo, you stepped in it again! Thanks. We DON'T know, but we can (and except when you unduly partisan libs find it expedient to do otherwise) we always have trusted SCOTUS Justices to behave without being overly influenced by their spouses. And just as it is fucking stupid to ask "well how do we KNOW that conservative jurist 'A' isn't being unduly influenced?" so too it would be fucking stupid to ask "well how do we know liberal jurist 'B' isn't being influenced in some similar manner?" And that's the point. If my example is ridiculous, soo too was Simpleholic's idiot 'question."

And by the way, why don't you take your graphic insults somewhere else where like-minded fratboys will appreciate your garbage? Every time you post here, you stink it up.

Application rejected. I am not interested in your suggestions, Magoo. You are without credibility in my book, so your unsolicited "advice" has no value.

Your posts are generally just odious and odoriferous crap, by the way. You just lack the perspective necessary to appreciate how sanctimonious and dull you are, toots. :thup:

Forum List

Back