Just tried watching

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
My Darling Clementine (1946, Henry Fonda, Linda Darnell, Victor Mature).
Sometimes I hate knowing so much about the real west, looks like it might have been a good movie but it was soooooooo completely inaccurate I couldn't watch more than twenty minutes.
I guess it's not just that, I like quite a few completely inaccurate westerns (almost all are to one degree or another). I liked Tombstone which is more entertainment than truly historical but Wyatt Earp with Kevin Costner was the closest historically accurate movie I've seen so I guess it spoiled me as far as Earp movies go.

Some movies you just need to look at with a different prism.
It is meant as entertainment, not to be an historically accurate film.

This is true but in this case there are already more movies out there that are historically closer.

This is true but in this case there are already more movies out there that are historically closer.
But it was such a good movie! :)
It's okay, if I had seen it way back when I was a youngin' I might have liked it also.
Been watching a lot of old westerns lately, most from the 1940s onward to the late 1990s are mostly entertainment so I don't really care. Heck most army forts they portray in movies are wooden stockade, there were maybe 5 or 6 total wooden stockade forts in the whole west out of the hundreds of forts and outposts, most forts didn't even have a wall around them and those that did were basically redoubts.
The ones that really crack me up and yes many are John Wayne movies (which I like) are where they're portraying the period just after the Civil War wearing clothes that hadn't been invented yet, hats and boots that hadn't been invented yet, carrying weapons that hadn't been invented yet and riding on saddles that hadn't been invented yet. Watched one last night called El Paso, they arrived in El Paso just after the Civil War on a Butterfield stagecoach........ which went belly up in 1861 at the start of the war........ A lot of the clothing was correct though, mostly.
Some of the John Wayne movies that are just after or maybe ten years after the war he's wearing 1900s clothing, etc., carrying an 1894 Winchester repeater and an 1873 Colt Peacemaker which really wasn't available to the general public until around 1875 when the Army contracts were filled. :lol:

"Westerns" became a genre of "wink, wink, you know, it was the time when..." and then a situation is presented in an accepted context; a context, that is, of myth that stands for reality.
Most "war" movies are similar in that they play on being in a time of extremes so that other excesses, such as emotion or obsession, are more quickly accepted by the viewers so that we can get directly to the point of the author. Often, of course, this "point" is itself facile, simplistic and banal.
An interesting western that digs a little into the American soul is the original "Unforgiven" from 1960. Nothing to do with the Eastwood one of the same name. It has what may seem an unlikely cast, but there is exceptionally good acting and story, especially psychologically.

Watch the series, Deadwood, makes me glad I was not around back then. Yuck!!!
It's still pretty much Hollywood cliche simply presented in a more extreme rough form. Were there towns kinda like that? Of course there were but they were few and far between and in most cases short lived.
Hollywood would have use believe there was a killing out west every ten seconds, there wasn't. In fact one was more apt to be murdered living in the big cities back east, the major killer out west was exhaustion, the elements, starvation and disease.

"Westerns" became a genre of "wink, wink, you know, it was the time when..." and then a situation is presented in an accepted context; a context, that is, of myth that stands for reality.
Most "war" movies are similar in that they play on being in a time of extremes so that other excesses, such as emotion or obsession, are more quickly accepted by the viewers so that we can get directly to the point of the author. Often, of course, this "point" is itself facile, simplistic and banal.
An interesting western that digs a little into the American soul is the original "Unforgiven" from 1960. Nothing to do with the Eastwood one of the same name. It has what may seem an unlikely cast, but there is exceptionally good acting and story, especially psychologically.
Especially TV westerns, I grew up watching Roy Rodgers and Zoro. :lol:

Have Gun Will Travel. Rawhide.

Have Gun Will Travel. Rawhide.
Gunsmoke, the Rifleman, Bonanza.......

It's funny, one of my favorite westerns is pretty much 100% Hollywood following their old movie template and that is Silverado.

Forum List

Back