Just tried watching

I know it is a bit cliche, and the fighting scenes are unrealistic...but I can't help liking the movie Open Range.
Actually the fighting scenes in that one are fairly accurate, the movie itself is relatively cliche but also one of my favorites.
By unrealistic I mean like when Blue Bonnet (lol) shoots a couple guys with a shotgun it lifts them off their feet and blows them through a wall. As with any gun, when a person is shot it doesn't even knock them off balance - let alone blow them through a wall haha
Oh okay. I was thinking about how close they got with mostly wild firing and people being as careful and wary as possible. Some of the shots were definitely Hollywooded most of the battle was pretty accurate.

Another Wayne movie that is almost completely historically accurate (props, clothing, scenes, weapons, saddles) is Rio Grande.

I find it difficult to like John Wayne. Sorry, I know that will burn a lot of people's britches. :D I find him to be highly overrated as an actor, and hard to like.
He was highly overrated as an actor, he did one thing and one thing good, that was playing John Wayne. That should burn some biscuits also...... :D

What was that Clint western... he was an old fart that can't shoot anymore... but agrees to go after some bad guys anyway

Clint Eastwood is terrific director.
My favorite movie by him is Gran Torino. It has everything.

I thought it was an okay movie. A lot of racist name calling. LOL! I really prefer his older movies though. The Unforgiven was pretty good though.
Ah... but that was the point of the movie.
He was a bitter, angry racist bastard who pretty much hated everyone but his wife. (And dog)
By the end of the movie, he sacrificed his own life to protect two young kids of the same race as he fought against in Korea.

Clint Eastwood is terrific director.
My favorite movie by him is Gran Torino. It has everything.

I thought it was an okay movie. A lot of racist name calling. LOL! I really prefer his older movies though. The Unforgiven was pretty good though.
Ah... but that was the point of the movie.
He was a bitter, angry racist bastard who pretty much hated everyone but his wife. (And dog)
By the end of the movie, he sacrificed his own life to protect two young kids of the same race as he fought against in Korea.

I have a neighbor who is pretty similar to him in that movie. He calls black people "spoons." :dunno: I don't know why or what that means, and I won't ask either. Lol.

Another Wayne movie that is almost completely historically accurate (props, clothing, scenes, weapons, saddles) is Rio Grande.

I find it difficult to like John Wayne. Sorry, I know that will burn a lot of people's britches. :D I find him to be highly overrated as an actor, and hard to like.
He was highly overrated as an actor, he did one thing and one thing good, that was playing John Wayne. That should burn some biscuits also...... :D

I have to be honest. I don't obsess over Westerns, nor have I watched a lot of John Wayne.

I did supplement my kids education during summer months and help home school him. One of our projects, was I had him read True Grit, and then we did a comparative analysis of Old Hollywood, and new Hollywood.

John Wayne either read that book, met the author, or did not do a bad job acquitting himself. We both decided that the movies were equal treatments.

John Wayne's version stayed a little truer to the book though.

Forum List

Back