Just tried watching

Another Wayne movie that is almost completely historically accurate (props, clothing, scenes, weapons, saddles) is Rio Grande.

I find it difficult to like John Wayne. Sorry, I know that will burn a lot of people's britches. :D I find him to be highly overrated as an actor, and hard to like.
He was highly overrated as an actor, he did one thing and one thing good, that was playing John Wayne. That should burn some biscuits also...... :D

I have to be honest. I don't obsess over Westerns, nor have I watched a lot of John Wayne.

I did supplement my kids education during summer months and help home school him. One of our projects, was I had him read True Grit, and then we did a comparative analysis of Old Hollywood, and new Hollywood.

John Wayne either read that book, met the author, or did not do a bad job acquitting himself. We both decided that the movies were equal treatments.

John Wayne's version stayed a little truer to the book though.

I've seen the second version. Great movie.

Wonderful movie, mostly fictional Hollywood but another one of my favorites. Loved Will Geer in that one pilgrim.........

I'm not familiar with most of the actors who played in the movie (a bit before my time), but I liked the old man who hunted bears. He was a riot. :D

That's Will Geer.

He was great in that movie. When he was laughing his butt off as Jeremiah was being chased by the bear was great! :lol:

Thanks mostly to Hollywood most people see the old west as cowboys (originally cow boy a derogatory term), sheriffs gamblers and dance halls (saloons) with pianos across the board. Other than the saloons the rest made up only a small fraction of westerners, most were homesteaders, miners and small business owners, a piano in a saloon was a rarity.
Unfortunately for women their primary options, if not married and sometimes even if, was cook, washer woman or whore. Women committing suicide was quite common in the old west.

Another Wayne movie that is almost completely historically accurate (props, clothing, scenes, weapons, saddles) is Rio Grande.

I find it difficult to like John Wayne. Sorry, I know that will burn a lot of people's britches. :D I find him to be highly overrated as an actor, and hard to like.
He was highly overrated as an actor, he did one thing and one thing good, that was playing John Wayne. That should burn some biscuits also...... :D

I have to be honest. I don't obsess over Westerns, nor have I watched a lot of John Wayne.

I did supplement my kids education during summer months and help home school him. One of our projects, was I had him read True Grit, and then we did a comparative analysis of Old Hollywood, and new Hollywood.

John Wayne either read that book, met the author, or did not do a bad job acquitting himself. We both decided that the movies were equal treatments.

They are both great. . .

. . .not as good as the book, but not bad.

Thanks mostly to Hollywood most people see the old west as cowboys (originally cow boy a derogatory term), sheriffs gamblers and dance halls (saloons) with pianos across the board. Other than the saloons the rest made up only a small fraction of westerners, most were homesteaders, miners and small business owners, a piano in a saloon was a rarity.
Unfortunately for women their primary options, if not married and sometimes even if, was cook, washer woman or whore. Women committing suicide was quite common in the old west.

Probably true. I wouldn't want to have lived during that time period. :114:

Part of doing remakes is twofold, one make changes for copyright reasons but more importantly to cater to the current audience in many ways.

They are both great. . .

. . .not as good as the book, but not bad.

I will have to get that book. I haven't read a good book in a while.

Probably true. I wouldn't want to have lived during that time period. :114:
Not probably true, it's completely true. That doesn't mean it was that hard or that bad all over. The smells would be the first thing we noticed and in many places would cause us to immediately retch. That's not to say people didn't try to keep clean but dirty and smelly was pretty much the norm in a lot of places. Then there were the animal smells........

Most people don't realize the majority of troops out west were infantry, cavalry were the romanticized element of the old west due to the fact they could move relatively fast and patrol farther but they only made up a small percentage of the overall troop numbers. Life for most, including many civilians was pure boredom often in lonely, far off places not close to anything. Desertion among the troops was high, the life was hard. Much of the rank and file were often the dregs of society, you don't see that in most Hollywood movies.

My Darling Clementine (1946, Henry Fonda, Linda Darnell, Victor Mature).
Sometimes I hate knowing so much about the real west, looks like it might have been a good movie but it was soooooooo completely inaccurate I couldn't watch more than twenty minutes.
I guess it's not just that, I like quite a few completely inaccurate westerns (almost all are to one degree or another). I liked Tombstone which is more entertainment than truly historical but Wyatt Earp with Kevin Costner was the closest historically accurate movie I've seen so I guess it spoiled me as far as Earp movies go.
I like clementines.

Probably the most accurate portrayal of the battle of the Alamo was The Alamo (2004). Unfortunately is didn't do well at the box office most likely because it didn't follow the mythos as portrayed in John Wayne's The Alamo. Granted there's still too much Hollywood (in my opinion) in the movie but if one wanted to see a very accurate portrayal the 2004 version is the best.

While I really liked Young Guns for it's entertainment value I'm still waiting for a much more historical version of Billy the Kid and the Lincoln County War (LCW) to come out. And why do they continually portray John Tunstall as an older man, he was 24 years old when he became the first casualty of the war. And Murphy was dying in the final stages of cancer and had turned over everything to Dolan by that time so played almost no part. As for the Regulators they didn't call themselves that until after the LCW started and only a few worked for Tunstall, the rest for Chisum and some other ranchers, Chisum was part of the Tunstall, McSween faction and his ranch covered much of what is now Roswell, NM 57 miles away as the crow flies. That would probably take most of a day to get from one to the other.

Sometimes I hate knowing so much about the real west, looks like it might have been a good movie but it was soooooooo completely inaccurate I couldn't watch more than twenty minutes.
I guess it's not just that, I like quite a few completely inaccurate westerns (almost all are to one degree or another). I liked Tombstone which is more entertainment than truly historical but Wyatt Earp with Kevin Costner was the closest historically accurate movie I've seen so I guess it spoiled me as far as Earp movies go.
Wyatt Earp was supposed to be the big hit. Tombstone was not seen as much when both were made around the same time. Tombstone was fun to watch and Val Kilmer gave an Oscar worthy performance.

Probably the most accurate portrayal of the battle of the Alamo was The Alamo (2004). Unfortunately is didn't do well at the box office most likely because it didn't follow the mythos as portrayed in John Wayne's The Alamo. Granted there's still too much Hollywood (in my opinion) in the movie but if one wanted to see a very accurate portrayal the 2004 version is the best.

You are not going to find documentary reality movies to be massively successful. For the most part there has to be plenty of action in many of these films.

You are not going to find documentary reality movies to be massively successful. For the most part there has to be plenty of action in many of these films.

Not looking for documentary movies simply more historical accuracy in "historically based" movies. This has been happening more and more but still not nearly enough. I know that some of it has to be Hollywooded and I don't have a problem with that but at least keep the events, dress, weapons, accoutrements as accurate as possible.
Heck John Ford had conversations with Wyatt Earp but still made My Darling Clementine into a near fictional account.

Not looking for documentary movies simply more historical accuracy in "historically based" movies. This has been happening more and more but still not nearly enough. I know that some of it has to be Hollywooded and I don't have a problem with that but at least keep the events, dress, weapons, accoutrements as accurate as possible.
Heck John Ford had conversations with Wyatt Earp but still made My Darling Clementine into a near fictional account.

A far different time when that film was made.

On the topic of "Westerns"... Why has no one made a good movie about one of the most intriguing character of the west? "John Wesley Hardin." His story is more interesting than Billy the Kid, Wyatt Earp, and Wild Bill Hickocks put together...

A far different time when that film was made.

Ya think...........

On the topic of "Westerns"... Why has no one made a good movie about one of the most intriguing character of the west? "John Wesley Hardin." His story is more interesting than Billy the Kid, Wyatt Earp, and Wild Bill Hickocks put together...
Looks like one was being made back in 2015 but I don't know if it was ever finished. It was simply called Harden.

Looks like one was being made back in 2015 but I don't know if it was ever finished. It was simply called Harden.
It's a story dying to be brought to the big screen. A sociopathic, psycho, dare I say it serial killer, and gunslinger; who even punked out, and backed down Wild Bill Hickock if I recall correctly...
How is this not a Hollywood tale that's been done a thousand times?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back