Just need to vent

Clementine

Platinum Member
Dec 18, 2011
Okay, here's the situation. I recently gave my daughter my old car when I bought a new one. She lives in an apartment complex about an hour away. When she got the car, she called her elderly landlady to let her know she would be using the parking lot. The lady is almost 80 and a tad forgetful. She told my daughter she'd fill out a form and get her a parking sticker. Then the lady went to Florida and forgot. The guy watching over the place thought the car didn't belong there and after seeing it there for two weeks, decided to have it towed. My daughter always parked in the same spot and the guy didn't think it had been moved so claimed he thought it was abandoned. Yea, abandoned with current registration sticker that was just put on a month ago. Duh!

My issue is with the idiots at the towing company. I called them to ask how much it would cost to pick the car up and asked what info they would need. I figured they'd have to make sure that I was the legal owner. He told me they didn't need to see a license or any other info and as long as someone paid the $95 they could take the car. I asked him to repeat that. Yup, anyone can pick it up with no ID or proof of ownership. I told him I was appalled that anyone could go there, pay the money and if they knew how to hotwire it to get it started, they would have a car. He said that usually doesn't happen. Good grief!

Anyway, off to get the car and hopefully, I will get there first. It's a nice car and I hope thieves aren't aware of their lame ass policy.

Okay, here's the situation. I recently gave my daughter my old car when I bought a new one. She lives in an apartment complex about an hour away. When she got the car, she called her elderly landlady to let her know she would be using the parking lot. The lady is almost 80 and a tad forgetful. She told my daughter she'd fill out a form and get her a parking sticker. Then the lady went to Florida and forgot. The guy watching over the place thought the car didn't belong there and after seeing it there for two weeks, decided to have it towed. My daughter always parked in the same spot and the guy didn't think it had been moved so claimed he thought it was abandoned. Yea, abandoned with current registration sticker that was just put on a month ago. Duh!

My issue is with the idiots at the towing company. I called them to ask how much it would cost to pick the car up and asked what info they would need. I figured they'd have to make sure that I was the legal owner. He told me they didn't need to see a license or any other info and as long as someone paid the $95 they could take the car. I asked him to repeat that. Yup, anyone can pick it up with no ID or proof of ownership. I told him I was appalled that anyone could go there, pay the money and if they knew how to hotwire it to get it started, they would have a car. He said that usually doesn't happen. Good grief!

Anyway, off to get the car and hopefully, I will get there first. It's a nice car and I hope thieves aren't aware of their lame ass policy.
Go there and select a new car then. Ask about late-model Cameros and so on.

Good lesson for your daughter, always double check .. especially after telling a 80 year old landlord.

Go there and select a new car then. Ask about late-model Cameros and so on.

Hey, I might get away with it. LOL

Good lesson for your daughter, always double check .. especially after telling a 80 year old landlord.

Yes, a lesson that will cost her. I understand why it was towed but that tow company sucks. I had called them on Saturday after they towed it and they said I had to wait till today to get it since they were closed on the weekend. When I called today to ask about picking it up and gave the guy the make and model, he said they didn't have the car. He put me on hold and came back to say that it was there but hadn't been put in the computer. So, I quickly realized that I was dealing with some real winners.

Sadly, I think you just told them.

I doubt any self-respecting thief would actually pay to steal a car. That would defeat the purpose of being a thief, wouldn't it?

Hell, they can pick a car of their choice, color, make, style, etc., and drive it away in a matter of minutes. There is such a thing as taking pride in one's work, ya know. Lol..

Sadly, I think you just told them.

Didn't say where they are. Could be anywhere in the states.

I doubt any self-respecting thief would actually pay to steal a car. That would defeat the purpose of being a thief, wouldn't it?

Hell, they can pick a car of their choice, color, make, style, etc., and drive it away in a matter of minutes. There is such a thing as taking pride in one's work, ya know. Lol..

I was just surprised because when my friend's husband had an accident with his car, the towing company took it to their lot. My friend wanted to get some of her things out of the car but it was in her husband's name so she wasn't allowed to go near the car. I just figured the companies were all that way.

I guess most thieves wouldn't pay even a small fee to steal a nice car (wouldn't know) though I think it's bad practice to just allow people to take the car simply by paying the tow and impound fee. I think some kind of safeguard, such as showing a license or something to show you are the person on the registration would be in order. When you take charge of people's property, especially something as expensive as a vehicle, some kind of security should be expected.

I don't think this is a common practice to just allow people to pay and go. I think this particular place, which I must say was a total dump, is just unprofessional.

Last edited:
Damn I wish I had parents that gave me stuff...

Well, if you were my kid, you'd have a nice used car. My daughter needed a car to get to and from work and night classes at the college and I wanted her to have something safe. She didn't have a reliable vehicle so would either walk or ride a bike a pretty good distance and it's too damn cold for that in the Midwest.

Hey, man, dummy up!

Where else you gonna get the opportunity to get dear daughter a nicer car?

Forum List

Back