Just made it to 1725

After reading that, I'm relieved my wife limited her purchase to just one.

My wife bought one of those DNA kits from Ancestry (I think) at least 18 months ago. Took her 4 months to send it back and then she got a reply that her sample didn't contain enough saliva and so they sent her a replacement kit. She has yet to return a new sample. My take is that the southern gal is just too polite to spit.

I did find out the my grt x grandmother's parents came to Georgia from North Carolina....

OH and so many were in the Confederate Army that died on my father's side, and many that lived....

Where in Georgia did they settle after coming down from North Carolina? My father's side of the family did the same.

Did you find out which Confederate General your Georgia ancestors served under? Did you find their names and units among the muster rolls?

The regulars of my Georgia ancestors marched under Wade Hampton. Some on my mother's side were local militia that fought against Sherman around Millen, Twin City and Statesboro. My father's side of the family were in Atlanta. Railroad people. They were run out of Atlanta before it was burned. Both sides of the family lost most all they had to Sherman.

Last edited:
I did find out the my grt x grandmother's parents came to Georgia from North Carolina....

OH and so many were in the Confederate Army that died on my father's side, and many that lived....

Where in Georgia did they settle after coming down from North Carolina? My father's side of the family did the same.

Did you find out which Confederate General your Georgia ancestors served under? Did you find their names and units among the muster rolls?

The regulars of my Georgia ancestors marched under Wade Hampton. Some on my mother's side were local militia that fought against Sherman around Millen, Twin City and Statesboro. My father's side of the family were in Atlanta. Railroad people. They were run out of Atlanta before it was burned. Both sides of the family lost most all they had to Sherman.
first, let me say, my family is HUGE, they all had like 10 to 14 kids, one grandpa had 9 kids with one wife and when she died, he married another young woman and had another 10 kids....!!! :eek:

but the few lines that did the North Carolina to Georgia, began in Chatham, North Carolina to Wilkes county, georgia which became Warren County, Ga....and they spread out from there...to Marion County, Ga and then to Stewart county, Ga and then crossed over in to Pike, Ala which later got divided in to 5 different counties.... one of the great grandfather's brothers ended up in Oglethorpe county, Ga

All male relatives served...I don't have a single grandfather who did not........

in the revolutionary war, 2 actually began as RED COATS :eek: and deflected and changed sides to the Colony, thank God!

or they served in the war of 1812,
or the Seminole Indian war,
or the Civil War....Confederate States of America,
or some war that was around 1750...i think against Indians, but they were British then....
WW1, WW2, Korean, and Viet Nam...my dad.
I saved the records when I found them, but I did not read the details....though I do plan on reading them, once I can get more of this tree done....

Family Bibles are great for geneology. I know that my ancestor on the whitey side of things came over in 1626 and lived in the Virginia colonies. The family Bible has all of that listed in the front pages about who married whom and what children they had. That's how they did it back then.

So, yeah. Bibles are great if you can find out if they still exist and who has them.

which became Warren County, Ga....and they spread out from there...to Marion County, Ga and then to Stewart county, Ga

OK, my people were just South of your Warren County people in what is now Jenkins, Burke and Emanuel counties. Your people from the western side of the state were very near my Uncle's people who hailed from around Macon. Also railroad people.

It is extremely likely our ancestors from the central eastern counties who served in the regular ranks were in the same units. If any of your Warren County people stayed behind to serve in the militia, they may have known my direct ancestor on my mother's, (Clifton) side. He was Captain of the militia defending the area around Millen. He would have been in communication and coordination with their militia units.

Small world.

which became Warren County, Ga....and they spread out from there...to Marion County, Ga and then to Stewart county, Ga

OK, my people were just South of your Warren County people in what is now Jenkins, Burke and Emanuel counties. Your people from the western side of the state were very near my Uncle's people who hailed from around Macon. Also railroad people.

It is extremely likely our ancestors from the central eastern counties who served in the regular ranks were in the same units. If any of your Warren County people stayed behind to serve in the militia, they may have known my direct ancestor on my mother's, (Clifton) side. He was Captain of the militia defending the area around Millen. He would have been in communication and coordination with their militia units.

Small world.
small world indeed! plenty stayed behind in Warren County....

also, some that had just moved to Pike, Ala....crossed the state line back in to Georgia to serve during the Civil War and I was curious why, but got sidetracked in to something else and had not figured it out yet.... my first thought is they went back to Georgia to fight with their kin there?

I will look later on to see if any of them served with Capt Clifton or in the Millen area.... and let you know!!!

ok, just came across one great X grandfather, Who was in the Civil War's 21st infantry regiment.... he was living in gwinnett county, born in morgan county, Ga.... don't think they were in Ga but for a few months...was in Virginia and WV for most of this regiment's time....
------------------------------------------
I am a DAR!!! Just came across that this past week.... a Daughter of the American Revolution... one great grandmother filed for the status with all the paperwork tracing her and my great great etc.grandfather relative to serving in the American Revolution....

This is just for 1 of my great grandfathers.... I think I have 7 great grandfathers that served in the revolutionary war so far that I've traced.... but this last one, I have proof with my grandmother's application being approved!!! my father's side of the family has been here forever!!!

I am up to 1725 on one leg of my family tree on my father's side on Ancestry.com....

birth of my great (times 8) grandfather and have no idea how to get back even farther than that....

I am trying to find out if I am from England or the British isles or who knows? They all were English speaking so far in my tree but all the way back to 1725, all relatives were born in America.

in 1725 they were in Virginia, then North Carolina, then to Georgia, then to Alabama where they all live now, except my parents, who live in Florida. the 1725 great time 8 grandfather has the same name as my dad, which is really really cool!

They produced like bunny rabbits back then, I have got to be related to everyone in the South! At least in Alabama and Georgia! So help me God!

What is sad though, is how many relatives died as children or shortly after being born....the censuses later in the 1800's started having a box where the wives had to list how many children were born and how many were still alive at the time of the census 12 born/ 7 alive, 10/7, 9/5 etc etc etc....

And I am having a harder time....well not really harder but just so time consuming tracing back the female side of my grandmothers, they had different last names of course for all the female grandmom's mother's etc....it'll take me years, for sure!

I'm only up to 1848 or so with my father's great great grandmother ...

I spent days and days trying to trace her...it was very weird, She showed up out of no where when my great great great grandfather married her in 1868....found their marriage certificate...not really a certificate but the official notes from a justice of peace in Georgia... I was able to find her last name because my father's grandfather, a few years before he died had to file some Social Security form, where he had to list his parents, where they were born, and in that he had to list his mother's maiden name! JACKPOT! So I had thought.... :( At first I could only find her on an 1860 census in Georgia listed with 2 others of the same last name, which appeared to be her 1 older brother and an older sister with 3 men, a father and 2 sons?

WHAT THE HECK? no parents listed with her last name? Couldn't find her parents and let me tell ya, her last name was as common as my great times 3 grandfather.... a dime a dozen....

so, I search the family name of the family who in 1860 took the 3 of them in....she was 12 in 1860, so her family had to be on the 1850 census somewhere???

SCORE!!!

In 1850 census, my 3 x grandmothers family had a farm right next door to the man's family who took the 3 children in (God bless him) and my great times 4 grandfather was married with 10 children, all living in 1850, a household of 12, and the farmer man next door who took them in, had a wife and 8 children in 1850, yet only 2 boys in the 1860 census??

WELL, I CRIED MY EYES OUT....as I was finding out what happened to all the ones that just disappeared between the two censuses....

to make a long story short....my family of 12 that ended up as only 3 living, my grt x grandmother as one of them...

ALL died from TYPHOID FEVER...the US GVT kept track of those who died from it...it was 1858...my great grandfather had it 42 days then died, his wife, 21 days then died, his eldest daughter 32 days then died etc etc etc....

And the man who took the 3 surviving children relatives in, all but 3 including himself out of his family of 10 all died from Typhoid Fever....

MY GOODNESS, what a sad story...

I had to stop at that point...though I did find out the my grt x grandmother's parents came to Georgia from North Carolina and married in north carolina so I can go further...

and went back to searching the male side of my father's family...

Also, some distant relative that did a family tree that crosses over in to mine who shared a great grandfather times 6 I believe, found papers that filed for recognition to be a part of some group called, SONS OF THE REVOLUTION for a great grandfather!!!!

HOLY MOLY, MOTHER OF GOODNESS....I've got a Grampa who served in the revolutionary war....so much more to find out on him! This guy's family tree that crosses with mine has loads of information to go through....

Are you a tall and skinny brunette with straight hair? There's a lot of those up in GA.

They're stronger than what they look like, too.

I am up to 1725 on one leg of my family tree on my father's side on Ancestry.com....

birth of my great (times 8) grandfather and have no idea how to get back even farther than that....

I am trying to find out if I am from England or the British isles or who knows? They all were English speaking so far in my tree but all the way back to 1725, all relatives were born in America.

in 1725 they were in Virginia, then North Carolina, then to Georgia, then to Alabama where they all live now, except my parents, who live in Florida. the 1725 great time 8 grandfather has the same name as my dad, which is really really cool!

They produced like bunny rabbits back then, I have got to be related to everyone in the South! At least in Alabama and Georgia! So help me God!

What is sad though, is how many relatives died as children or shortly after being born....the censuses later in the 1800's started having a box where the wives had to list how many children were born and how many were still alive at the time of the census 12 born/ 7 alive, 10/7, 9/5 etc etc etc....

And I am having a harder time....well not really harder but just so time consuming tracing back the female side of my grandmothers, they had different last names of course for all the female grandmom's mother's etc....it'll take me years, for sure!

I spent days and days trying to trace her...it was very weird, She showed up out of no where when my great great great grandfather married her in 1868....found their marriage certificate...not really a certificate but the official notes from a justice of peace in Georgia... I was able to find her last name because my father's grandfather, a few years before he died had to file some Social Security form, where he had to list his parents, where they were born, and in that he had to list his mother's maiden name! JACKPOT! So I had thought.... :( At first I could only find her on an 1860 census in Georgia listed with 2 others of the same last name, which appeared to be her 1 older brother and an older sister with 3 men, a father and 2 sons?

WHAT THE HECK? no parents listed with her last name? Couldn't find her parents and let me tell ya, her last name was as common as my great times 3 grandfather.... a dime a dozen....

so, I search the family name of the family who in 1860 took the 3 of them in....she was 12 in 1860, so her family had to be on the 1850 census somewhere???

SCORE!!!

In 1850 census, my 3 x grandmothers family had a farm right next door to the man's family who took the 3 children in (God bless him) and my great times 4 grandfather was married with 10 children, all living in 1850, a household of 12, and the farmer man next door who took them in, had a wife and 8 children in 1850, yet only 2 boys in the 1860 census??

WELL, I CRIED MY EYES OUT....as I was finding out what happened to all the ones that just disappeared between the two censuses....

to make a long story short....my family of 12 that ended up as only 3 living, my grt x grandmother as one of them...

ALL died from TYPHOID FEVER...the US GVT kept track of those who died from it...it was 1858...my great grandfather had it 42 days then died, his wife, 21 days then died, his eldest daughter 32 days then died etc etc etc....

And the man who took the 3 surviving children relatives in, all but 3 including himself out of his family of 10 all died from Typhoid Fever....

I had to stop at that point...though I did find out the my grt x grandmother's parents came to Georgia from North Carolina and married in north carolina so I can go further...

Also, some distant relative that did a family tree that crosses over in to mine who shared a great grandfather times 6 I believe, found papers that filed for recognition to be a part of some group called, SONS OF THE REVOLUTION for a great grandfather!!!!

HOLY MOLY, MOTHER OF GOODNESS....I've got a Grampa who served in the revolutionary war....so much more to find out on him! This guy's family tree that crosses with mine has loads of information to go through....

Are you a tall and skinny brunette with straight hair? There's a lot of those up in GA.

ahhhh, I WISH!

I am a pipsqueak, a mere 5' 2'' and a half inches! :p
I am a brunette though, with straight hair, fair skinned, (unless tanned or burned) hazel green eyes...

SCORE!!!

ahhhh, I WISH!

I am a brunette though, with straight hair, fair skinned, (unless tanned or burned) hazel green eyes...

Next time you're out, you may see some of the ones I'm talking about. Around 6 feet, skinny, straight brown hair.

Geez, you're the same size as women in my family.

Last edited:

SCORE!!!

ahhhh, I WISH!

Next time you're out, you may say some of the ones I'm talking about. Around 6 feet, skinny, straight brown hair.

Geez, you're the same size as women in my family.
My father's side are near all tall and skinny! Even my sister is tall.... but I take after my mom who is a mere 5 ft.... I am TALL compared to her!!! :lol:

Forum List

Back