Just made it to 1725

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
I am up to 1725 on one leg of my family tree on my father's side on Ancestry.com....

birth of my great (times 8) grandfather and have no idea how to get back even farther than that....

I am trying to find out if I am from England or the British isles or who knows? They all were English speaking so far in my tree but all the way back to 1725, all relatives were born in America.

in 1725 they were in Virginia, then North Carolina, then to Georgia, then to Alabama where they all live now, except my parents, who live in Florida. the 1725 great time 8 grandfather has the same name as my dad, which is really really cool!

They produced like bunny rabbits back then, I have got to be related to everyone in the South! At least in Alabama and Georgia! So help me God!

What is sad though, is how many relatives died as children or shortly after being born....the censuses later in the 1800's started having a box where the wives had to list how many children were born and how many were still alive at the time of the census 12 born/ 7 alive, 10/7, 9/5 etc etc etc....

And I am having a harder time....well not really harder but just so time consuming tracing back the female side of my grandmothers, they had different last names of course for all the female grandmom's mother's etc....it'll take me years, for sure!

I'm only up to 1848 or so with my father's great great grandmother ...

I spent days and days trying to trace her...it was very weird, She showed up out of no where when my great great great grandfather married her in 1868....found their marriage certificate...not really a certificate but the official notes from a justice of peace in Georgia... I was able to find her last name because my father's grandfather, a few years before he died had to file some Social Security form, where he had to list his parents, where they were born, and in that he had to list his mother's maiden name! JACKPOT! So I had thought.... :( At first I could only find her on an 1860 census in Georgia listed with 2 others of the same last name, which appeared to be her 1 older brother and an older sister with 3 men, a father and 2 sons?

WHAT THE HECK? no parents listed with her last name? Couldn't find her parents and let me tell ya, her last name was as common as my great times 3 grandfather.... a dime a dozen....

so, I search the family name of the family who in 1860 took the 3 of them in....she was 12 in 1860, so her family had to be on the 1850 census somewhere???

SCORE!!!

In 1850 census, my 3 x grandmothers family had a farm right next door to the man's family who took the 3 children in (God bless him) and my great times 4 grandfather was married with 10 children, all living in 1850, a household of 12, and the farmer man next door who took them in, had a wife and 8 children in 1850, yet only 2 boys in the 1860 census??

WELL, I CRIED MY EYES OUT....as I was finding out what happened to all the ones that just disappeared between the two censuses....

to make a long story short....my family of 12 that ended up as only 3 living, my grt x grandmother as one of them...

ALL died from TYPHOID FEVER...the US GVT kept track of those who died from it...it was 1858...my great grandfather had it 42 days then died, his wife, 21 days then died, his eldest daughter 32 days then died etc etc etc....

And the man who took the 3 surviving children relatives in, all but 3 including himself out of his family of 10 all died from Typhoid Fever....

MY GOODNESS, what a sad story...

I had to stop at that point...though I did find out the my grt x grandmother's parents came to Georgia from North Carolina and married in north carolina so I can go further...

and went back to searching the male side of my father's family...

OH and so many were in the Confederate Army that died on my father's side, and many that lived....

Also, some distant relative that did a family tree that crosses over in to mine who shared a great grandfather times 6 I believe, found papers that filed for recognition to be a part of some group called, SONS OF THE REVOLUTION for a great grandfather!!!!

HOLY MOLY, MOTHER OF GOODNESS....I've got a Grampa who served in the revolutionary war....so much more to find out on him! This guy's family tree that crosses with mine has loads of information to go through....

Last edited:
My father's birthday is in February and I would like to give him this family tree for his birthday!!!

wow.. amazing you could dig all that up!
I KNOW! Just wicked crazy! I've been at it, near 24/7 since Dec 27th....TRYING to get as much done as possible on my 14 day trial on Ancestry! But I probably will have to buy a membership!

Happy New Year Valerie!!!

once I found out who was whose daddy on the first few grandparents, I have found distant relatives who developed family trees that have done a great deal of the legwork on the male side of my father's family....

thank you, same to you... happy new year!

i know a lot of the history on my dad's side from one of his cousins who did all the digging and produced a small book about it, then gave it out as a family gift some years ago...my father's father's side...

on my mother's mother's side there is another book one of the uncles took the time to write it all out for the family... so cool to think back and imagine it all.

Have you tried Free Family History and Genealogy Records — FamilySearch.org ? It is free and we found missing pieces there, after family tree maker and ancestry.org. Also be sure to check for modified spellings of names, too. Good luck!
I am up to 1725 on one leg of my family tree on my father's side on Ancestry.com....

birth of my great (times 8) grandfather and have no idea how to get back even farther than that....

I am trying to find out if I am from England or the British isles or who knows? They all were English speaking so far in my tree but all the way back to 1725, all relatives were born in America.

in 1725 they were in Virginia, then North Carolina, then to Georgia, then to Alabama where they all live now, except my parents, who live in Florida. the 1725 great time 8 grandfather has the same name as my dad, which is really really cool!

They produced like bunny rabbits back then, I have got to be related to everyone in the South! At least in Alabama and Georgia! So help me God!

What is sad though, is how many relatives died as children or shortly after being born....the censuses later in the 1800's started having a box where the wives had to list how many children were born and how many were still alive at the time of the census 12 born/ 7 alive, 10/7, 9/5 etc etc etc....

And I am having a harder time....well not really harder but just so time consuming tracing back the female side of my grandmothers, they had different last names of course for all the female grandmom's mother's etc....it'll take me years, for sure!

I spent days and days trying to trace her...it was very weird, She showed up out of no where when my great great great grandfather married her in 1868....found their marriage certificate...not really a certificate but the official notes from a justice of peace in Georgia... I was able to find her last name because my father's grandfather, a few years before he died had to file some Social Security form, where he had to list his parents, where they were born, and in that he had to list his mother's maiden name! JACKPOT! So I had thought.... :( At first I could only find her on an 1860 census in Georgia listed with 2 others of the same last name, which appeared to be her 1 older brother and an older sister with 3 men, a father and 2 sons?

WHAT THE HECK? no parents listed with her last name? Couldn't find her parents and let me tell ya, her last name was as common as my great times 3 grandfather.... a dime a dozen....

so, I search the family name of the family who in 1860 took the 3 of them in....she was 12 in 1860, so her family had to be on the 1850 census somewhere???

SCORE!!!

In 1850 census, my 3 x grandmothers family had a farm right next door to the man's family who too the 3 children in and my great times 4 grandfather was married with 10 children, all living in 1850, a household or 12, and the farmer man next door who took them in, had a wife and 8 children in 1850, yet only 2 boys in the 1860 census??

WELL, I CRIED MY EYES OUT....as I was finding out what happened to all the ones that just disappeared between the two censuses....

to make a long story short....my family of 12 that ended up as only 3 living, my grt x grandmother as one of them...

ALL died from TYPHOID FEVER...the US GVT kept track of those who died from it...it was 1858...my great grandfather had it 42 days then died, his wife, 21 days then died, his eldest daughter 32 days then died etc etc etc....

And the man who took the 3 surviving children relatives in, all but 3 including himself out of his family of 10 all died from Typhoid Fever....

I had to stop at that point...though I did find out the my grt x grandmother's parents came to Georgia from North Carolina and married in north carolina so I can go further...

OH and so many were in the Confederate Army that died on my father's side, and many that lived....

Also, some distant relative that did a family tree that crosses over in to mine who shared a great grandfather times 6 I believe, found papers that filed for recognition to be a part of some group called, SONS OF THE REVOLUTION for a great grandfather!!!!

HOLY MOLY, MOTHER OF GOODNESS....I've got a Grampa who served in the revolutionary war....so much more to find out on him! This guy's family tree that crosses with mine has loads of information to go through....

About 2 years ago, I found a really old book that was commissioned by the US Government or Smithsonian... to follow the family trees of the 5 most prominent family names in the USA... I was able to download it.... it did no good for me at the time because past my great grandfather, I did not know who any of the great grandfathers were, I didn't know their first names...

BUT NOW I could use the book for much more information now that I know their names and it could help identify where my family came from... on that side...

but 4 weeks ago, the lap top that I downloaded to it, blew up and I lost everything on it...

so I will have to find the book again on the net.... :(

Last edited:
I'd have to go over to the Choctaw museum for mine before about 1864 when GG came over from Wales and took a " red savage" as his wife.

Have you tried Free Family History and Genealogy Records — FamilySearch.org ? It is free and we found missing pieces there, after family tree maker and ancestry.org. Also be sure to check for modified spellings of names, too. Good luck!

SCORE!!!

In 1850 census, my 3 x grandmothers family had a farm right next door to the man's family who too the 3 children in and my great times 4 grandfather was married with 10 children, all living in 1850, a household or 12, and the farmer man next door who took them in, had a wife and 8 children in 1850, yet only 2 boys in the 1860 census??

no, I have not tried it! Thank you!

YES, quite a few misspellings, like a relative named Josiah when translated was misspelled Jasiah...

SCORE!!!

Great job, Care4All! Genealogy is an addictive puzzle full of interesting stories.
The man living next door to your 3rd gr grandfather may have been related to you, too. Especially where he took in the survivors.

I haven't been able to get nearly as far back as you, but my gr-gr grandparents' story had its heart ache, too. My gr-gr grandmother was able to get all but one of her nine babies raised to young adult hood. But within a decade, half were dead of disease or drowning. My great grandmother on the other side lost three sisters to epidemics, none over 16.
They were strong women to keep going through all that loss.

I don't know where you are getting your information--if it's all online or not--but you might have luck looking into local records in Virginia to find clues of where your ancestors came from before the U.S. It's amazing what I've found in little town libraries. Plus they'll have the land and probate records (not at the library--at Town Hall of the country seat).

The census, we found a lot of those misspellings.
At the link I gave you we found a number of death certificates we could download, which gave family health history and their parents full names, in some cases, which also helped.
Happy New Year to you!

SCORE!!!

YES, quite a few misspellings, like a relative named Josiah when translated was misspelled Jasiah...

Great job, Care4All! Genealogy is an addictive puzzle full of interesting stories.
The man living next door to your 3rd gr grandfather may have been related to you, too. Especially where he took in the survivors.

Good point! I have not had time to do that, but I did notice on the census in Georgia, that this man's family was from North Carolina as well as my great grandmother's family that had died....weird that 2 farmers in Georgia from north cariolina lived next door to each other.... and in other cesuses, the way I was able to confirm the common first and last name grt grandfather was MY great grandfather....... was to get the names of who lived on the farms on either side of them and their first names and it ended up being parents in one case, and brother's names in another, so that helped me identify them....

AND in one case, I found a great grandmother's maiden name and the people next door was her parent's....AND her side of the family were all buried in the same graveyard in Alabama with my grandfather's side....even found pictures of their gravestones at findagrave.com.

I don't know where you are getting your information--if it's all online or not--but you might have luck looking into local records in Virginia to find clues of where your ancestors came from before the U.S. It's amazing what I've found in little town libraries. Plus they'll have the land and probate records (not at the library--at Town Hall of the country seat).
Thank you! Good idea....We could plan a vacation around it!

The census, we found a lot of those misspellings.
At the link I gave you we found a number of death certificates we could download, which gave family health history and their parents full names, in some cases, which also helped.
Happy New Year to you!

SCORE!!!

For two decades in the mid 1800's we had a census taker who was hard of hearing. Some of his mis-hearings were hilarious.

Good point! I have not had time to do that, but I did notice on the census in Georgia, that this man's family was from North Carolina as well as my great grandmother's family that had died....weird that 2 farmers in Georgia from north cariolina lived next door to each other.... and in other cesuses, the way I was able to confirm the common first and last name grt grandfather was MY great grandfather....... was to get the names of who lived on the farms on either side of them and their first names and it ended up being parents in one case, and brother's names in another, so that helped me identify them....

AND in one case, I found a great grandmother's maiden name and the people next door was her parent's....AND her side of the family were all buried in the same graveyard in Alabama with my grandfather's side....even found pictures of their gravestones at findagrave.com.

LOL. I thought I was the only one who considered spending a week in musty old record archives that make me sneeze a "vacation." I'd do it at a drop of a hat, though. Good luck!

SCORE!!!

In 1850 census, my 3 x grandmothers family had a farm right next door to the man's family who took the 3 children in (God bless him) and my great times 4 grandfather was married with 10 children, all living in 1850, a household of 12, and the farmer man next door who took them in, had a wife and 8 children in 1850, yet only 2 boys in the 1860 census??

I was lucky to get back to pre-WW1. Much earlier would be very lucky. The turn of the 1900 century seems to be a major blockade.

Good work Care4all !!

I know one grandmother was French Canadian and one Pennsylvania Dutch, one grandfather English and one German. ~As Pennsylvania Dutch were Germans, I am thus 1/2 German, 1/4 French, and 1/4 English. They were all born in N. America. I met a relative once who spent all his free time researching the family tree, but it doesn't interest me personally, doing that.

LOL. I thought I was the only one who considered spending a week in musty old record archives that make me sneeze a "vacation." I'd do it at a drop of a hat, though. Good luck!

the grandfather that I got to from 1725, the distant relative's family tree that I have been looking at, has all kinds of records that I could not find on Ancestry that he took pictures of and downloaded,like marriage certificates and like censuses before 1850, and he had war records, and probates of estates as records....whomever this distant relative is, put this together 10 years ago on most of it....

Well anyway, he found the names of my 1725 granfather's PARENTS, so I have their names....but he lists nothing else, other than their names....and Virginia.... I am thinking that maybe THEY are the ones that came over on a ship, but I truly don't know...so this is what I would need to find out if I ever made a trip there.... or their parent's names....

You can hire someone on Ancestry.com to do the work for you, but I don't know how much it would cost....?

My mother, is Italian born so her side of the family....I wouldn't even know where to begin....but at least I know my nationality on her side....so I THINK....??? Who really knows, until one delves in to it!?!?

SCORE!!!

I was lucky to get back to pre-WW1. Much earlier would be very lucky. The turn of the 1900 century seems to be a major blockade.

Good work Care4all !!
You can get back to 1850 with censuses every 10 years afterwards fairly easily on Ancestry.com, as long as you can figure out family first names and where, in the general area they lived.... try the 14 day trial, when you know you'll have some time...you can probably get at least back to 1850, before the civil war....!!!

I bought my older sister an Ancestry DNA kit for Christmas, it'll take 8 weeks for her to get it back, if I can't figure out where my father came from by then, maybe her test results will tell us?

Forum List

Back