Just How Much Could the Sea Rise from Burning Fossil Fuels? A Lot.

David_42

Registered Democrat.
Aug 9, 2015
The Antarctic currently contributes a small amount to sea level rise. That could change if fossil-fuel emissions continue unchecked. (Well no shit.)
New York City would be swallowed by the ocean. Tokyo and Shanghai, too, would vanish.

Sea levels stand to rise by a staggering 164 feet (50 meters) or more if the world goes for broke on fossil fuels, burning all its attainable resources. That's because the Antarctic Ice Sheet would melt entirely from the warming caused by those emissions, concludes a study published Friday in Science Advances. The researchers say their paper offers the first long-term look at how carbon dioxide emissions from oil, coal, and natural gas would affect the entire ice sheet.

"If we don't stop dumping our waste CO2 into the sky, land that is now home to more than billion people will one day be underwater," says study co-author Ken Caldeira, senior scientist at Stanford University's Carnegie Institution for Science. (See an interactive map of the world if all the ice melted.)

There's a bright side, sort of: The full melt would take about 10,000 years. However, at least 100 feet of the swell, as modeled in the paper from scientists in Germany, California, and the United Kingdom, would occur in this millennium, at a rate of more than an inch per year—a harrowing prospect, given that many coastal areas are already seeing land loss and flooding from much more modest sea level increases.

To put it bluntly, if we burn it all, we melt it all.

Ricarda Winkelmann, scientist at Potsdam University

The study highlights the importance of the international aim to prevent global warming beyond 2°C (3.6°F) over pre-industrial levels, a goal thatsome scientists say is already unrealistic. Meeting that target, the new paper says, would keep Antarctic melting in check, limiting the attendant sea level rise to two meters.

Blowing past that threshold, on the other hand, would stoke the disintegration of the entire ice sheet. Its potential to raise sea levels "far exceeds all other possible contributions" from melting elsewhere, including the Greenland Ice Sheet, the researchers say.

The Antarctic currently contributes a small amount to sea level rise. That could change if fossil-fuel emissions continue unchecked. (Well no shit.)
New York City would be swallowed by the ocean. Tokyo and Shanghai, too, would vanish.

Sea levels stand to rise by a staggering 164 feet (50 meters) or more if the world goes for broke on fossil fuels, burning all its attainable resources. That's because the Antarctic Ice Sheet would melt entirely from the warming caused by those emissions, concludes a study published Friday in Science Advances. The researchers say their paper offers the first long-term look at how carbon dioxide emissions from oil, coal, and natural gas would affect the entire ice sheet.

"If we don't stop dumping our waste CO2 into the sky, land that is now home to more than billion people will one day be underwater," says study co-author Ken Caldeira, senior scientist at Stanford University's Carnegie Institution for Science. (See an interactive map of the world if all the ice melted.)

There's a bright side, sort of: The full melt would take about 10,000 years. However, at least 100 feet of the swell, as modeled in the paper from scientists in Germany, California, and the United Kingdom, would occur in this millennium, at a rate of more than an inch per year—a harrowing prospect, given that many coastal areas are already seeing land loss and flooding from much more modest sea level increases.

The study highlights the importance of the international aim to prevent global warming beyond 2°C (3.6°F) over pre-industrial levels, a goal thatsome scientists say is already unrealistic. Meeting that target, the new paper says, would keep Antarctic melting in check, limiting the attendant sea level rise to two meters.

Blowing past that threshold, on the other hand, would stoke the disintegration of the entire ice sheet. Its potential to raise sea levels "far exceeds all other possible contributions" from melting elsewhere, including the Greenland Ice Sheet, the researchers say.

Your posts release too much CO2. You should stop.

Reality sucks.

Says someone that doesn't have a clue on the need to invest in science in the first place. hahaha

Riding goats and Camels is your reality Sunni man! Leave the real world to sane people.

That leaves you out.......

Stop talking about your self. I live in the world where government is needed and understands the need for investment. You live in the world of the 18th century.

Stupid clown!

The Federal government collected over $3 trillion last year and spent over $3.5 trillion.
Only a moron thinks they need more.
Hey, there you are.

Riding goats and Camels is your reality Sunni man! Leave the real world to sane people.

Stop talking about your self. I live in the world where government is needed and understands the need for investment. You live in the world of the 18th century.

Stupid clown!

Actually Matt -- You are the one living in the 18th Century where science was pretty much dependent on the reigning monarch. It is no longer the domain of Kings and Queens and empires and ALMOST ALL innovation and competence resides OUTSIDE the domain of the huge bureaucracy.. Oh -- they can still hand out the bucks -- but there is no brains behind the methodology for doing that. You want investment in SCIENCE ???? Promote repatriation of all that off-shore corporate loot and provide tax incentives for R&D and equipment.

Stupid clown!

Actually Matt -- You are the one living in the 18th Century where science was pretty much dependent on the reigning monarch. It is no longer the domain of Kings and Queens and empires and ALMOST ALL innovation and competence resides OUTSIDE the domain of the huge bureaucracy.. Oh -- they can still hand out the bucks -- but there is no brains behind the methodology for doing that. You want investment in SCIENCE ???? Promote repatriation of all that off-shore corporate loot and provide tax incentives for R&D and equipment.
Your posts are hard to read. :deal:

Moderation Note:

Three posts deleted. Warning on some. You can not toss out one-liners and personal attacks in Zone2 without
relevant content in every post. THINK before you poke POST REPLY...

Reality sucks.

Has Guam tipped over?

LOL,

Without our nws, noaa, nasa, usgs, cdc, nih, etc 90% of science wouldn't get done period. Everything would be done by for profit corporations. People that didn't have a shit load of money wouldn't get the warnings that currently save their lives and we wouldn't have the national standards that we do. You're simply not living in reality thinking that government has no place in keeping the American people safe and advancing science. China, India and the Eu would pretty much tower over us in every way.

Insanity....

Last edited:
I suggest that all of the people that believe in the religion of global warming donate all of their worldly possessions to the cause!!

Walk the walk!! No I mean it. Walk motherfuckers! free yourselves of cars!! YEAH!!

:thup:

Stupid clown!

The Federal government collected over $3 trillion last year and spent over $3.5 trillion.
Only a moron thinks they need more.
Hey, there you are.

We spent more on infrastructure, science, r&d and education during Reagan then we do today. Yet, you're foolish enough to think that these important areas are causing the debt? Please study up and think before you post,,,jeezzz.

We're spending the least on infrastructure at anytime of the past 40 years
We're spending the least on science in anytime in decades
We're spending the least

SO no it doesn't explain our debt.

Most of our debt was caused by nation building, a broken healthcare system, welfare entitlements and infusions into the stock market.

Weird, how you blame the things that help make this nation competitive and remain silent about the real problem.

I suggest that all of the people that believe in the religion of global warming donate all of their worldly possessions to the cause!!

Walk the walk!! No I mean it. Walk motherfuckers! free yourselves of cars!! YEAH!!

I love cars, buses, trains, airplanes and of course space ships! ;) Science and maintaining this nation is simply a trillion times larger then global warming.

I love cars, buses, trains, airplanes and of course space ships! ;) Science and maintaining this nation is simply a trillion times larger then global warming.

Good for you!! Personally I love my freedom. I love my big V-8 Truck- I drive it everywhere- even when it is faster to walk, why not? It has a huge engine and a very strong air conditioner that I run at FULL BLAST. At home I keep the pad a balmy 72 degrees-why suffer? It's fucking hot in California!! I like to be cool, and my wife loves it too!
I also love flying in my Cessna 182, just for FUN!!! Last weekend the redhead and I flew from Santa Monica to Mojave. We ate a hamburger and flew back!! It was awesome!!! I also enjoy heating my pool to 88 degrees- every day!!! even when we don't swim! Never know when the urge to jump in will hit!

It's a free country bro!! WOOHOO!!

Forum List

Back