Just curious and I want your opinions.. Thanks

beagle9

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2011
My wife purchased some baby aspirin for us in order to take daily at our age now, and when I went to take one myself, well I couldn't help but notice that the top or cap wasn't child proof. What on earth I thought to myself, because I was shocked at this.

I thought it was a law that all medicine or meds that are in pill form (over the counter or prescription) had to have this child proof top or cap on it ?

Went looking around, and found this article also, but I'm still looking for the law if there is one that says all have to have child proof tops or caps. I was shocked actually that the bottle didn't have a child proof cap or top on it. Thanks for anyones input on this.

The article I found when looking around, even though it was about patches instead of pills was still right on in my opinion. We must keep the children safe. Period!

Mother pushes for childproof packaging - Toledo Blade

My wife purchased some baby aspirin for us in order to take daily at our age now, and when I went to take one myself, well I couldn't help but notice that the top or cap wasn't child proof. What on earth I thought to myself, because I was shocked at this.

I thought it was a law that all medicine or meds that are in pill form (over the counter or prescription) had to have this child proof top or cap on it ?

Went looking around, and found this article also, but I'm still looking for the law if there is one that says all have to have child proof tops or caps. I was shocked actually that the bottle didn't have a child proof cap or top on it. Thanks for anyones input on this.

The article I found when looking around, even though it was about patches instead of pills was still right on in my opinion. We must keep the children safe. Period!

I know many pharmacies have the option of using regular caps when the patients obviously have no need to keep youngsters safe from the meds, such as in the homes of older people with no children in the house.

It makes opening easier for those with arthritic hands, absent minds and failing eyesight.

I don't have a comment on your cap problem but I've been taking aspirin for two decades. I started on my doctor's advice back then and I always took one of the regular aspirin at 300+ mgs. I'm in the medical profession and have always kept myself up to date and aspirin prevents more health problems than I can keep track of. I am 6'1" and 220, if you are close to that and your stomach can take it, I recommend not messing around with the baby aspirin. If your wife is still menstruating, she should stick to the 81mg baby aspirin though.

Too much aspirin can have nasty effects for some folks. I think low dose is the way to go. Baby aspirin refers to the orange flavored ones. That brings back crappy memories LOL.

Sent from my ass using USMessageBoard.com

Good stuff Pred and thanks, but I do understand that there are people who can't open the bottles for many reasons, but couldn't this be stated by them at the pharmacy, and then the cap changed out if and when prescriptions are handed out from behind the counter or if something is purchased over the counter as well ? Shouldn't the person be able to go and ask the pharmacy to change the cap for them if set up in that way ? All stores that sell meds should be equipped in this way I think.

Otherwise keep all meds safe from children by a standard that is kept, but if specific cases are noted to suggest otherwise, then the pharmacy would be able to assist in that change for that individual.

I was worried when saw this bottle without a child proof cap on it, because anything can happen. Sometimes our best efforts are defied, thus leaving us totally baffled when (God forbid) an accident happens or takes place. I remember my grandaughter around 3 years ago having something in her hand one time, and before I could get to her WHAM it was swallowed by her..YOUCH. Straight to the hospital she went, and lucky it wasn't nothing really (no medicine anyways thank goodness). I think it was a small piece of tree bark off my boot now that I think about it.. LOL. Man you gotta watch out for them babies because they are into everything when they are young. Thank goodness mine aren't that young anymore, but it still makes me think that these bottles should be child proof unless otherwise requested by a person to not have the locking cap at the pharmacy counter or behind the store counter.

Another thought comes to mind, of what happened with that Tylenol situation that time, but that was concerning the seals on the bottles right yall or it was a rogue in the factory itself wasn't it ?

too much aspirin can have nasty effects for some folks. I think low dose is the way to go. Baby aspirin refers to the orange flavored ones. That brings back crappy memories lol.

lol.:eek:

It's possible, and I'm not kidding, that so-called "baby aspirin" is intended for use by children who are directed by busy mothers to medicate themselves.

People generally don't buy baby aspirin for children; because aspirin can cause Reye's Syndrome in children. Baby aspirin is, ironically, almost all taken by senior citizens, who sometimes have problems with childproof caps.

People generally don't buy baby aspirin for children; because aspirin can cause Reye's Syndrome in children. Baby aspirin is, ironically, almost all taken by senior citizens, who sometimes have problems with childproof caps.
Agree..

Forum List

Back