June 6th 1944 D-Day

Every June 6th I say a prayer for my Father, Uncle, and Father in law, thanking them for their courage and sacrifice in preserving our great country and freedoms we enjoy. I am relieved they don't have to bare witness to what this country has become.

Every June 6th I say a prayer for my Father, Uncle, and Father in law, thanking them for their courage and sacrifice in preserving our great country and freedoms we enjoy. I am relieved they don't have to bare witness to what this country has become.

Amen to that....my Pop was 3rd wave at Normandy...told me everybody was puking from the gore of the hundreds of GIs floating in the water who never made it ashore. He was in for the duration across the Rhine as was his brother who got as far as Saipan in the Paciific before he was wounded. That uncle hated the japanese with such fury he'd have dragged a poor bastard out of a Toyota and beaten him senseless if he'd live to see the day they were sold here. My last leave home before deploying to RVN, they took me out into the Michigan woods for two days and taught me how to survive in infantry combat. The real deal, not theory like I got at Benning and Polk.....I remembered things they said during some hairy times.....they laughed when I got home about how little things had changed and then they went to work on me to leave it behind and live a good life, which I've tried to do.

A day to remember. Many brave men who served. Thanks for the thread...:salute:

More Americans were killed on the beach the first day than the entire ten years of the Iraq/Afghanistan conflict but life was cheap back then and perspective is important. The media taught us that the secrecy of the Normandy invasion kept the casualty figures down but the month long breakout battle after the landing cost the lives of double the KIA figures of the entire VietNam war in a month. Nobody in the "greatest generation" or the media dared make a fuss because Hoover's FBI would scoop you up as a traitor.

To be a traitor one must be tried in court for treason and a guilty verdict rendered. Treason is one law the framers spelled out in some detail. If the Congress declares a war there are usually a number of restrictions that can be imposed on the nation. When was the last time Congress made a formal declaration of war?
Life was not cheap then or now.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eEIqdcHbc8I#]Normandy Speech: Ceremony Commemorating the 40th Anniversary of the Normandy Invasion, D-Day 6/6/84 - YouTube[/ame]!

Forum List

Back