June 4-6 1942: Battle of Midway

The deadly Nakajima B5N 'Kate' torpedo bomber

Gb5n.jpg

[knee-jerk]Nuh---Uuuuhhhh!![/knee-jerk]

Oh yeah...That's right...The Val had the fixed undercarriage. ;)

A truly historic sea battle.

The balance of power in the Pacific tilted toward the Americans because of it.

Had we lost that battle this world would be a very different place.

The Mitsubishi A6M 'Zero' fighter that caused so many problems for the allies early in the war.

a6m-7a.jpg

The Mitsubishi A6M 'Zero' fighter that caused so many problems for the allies early in the war.

a6m-7a.jpg
Until pappy Boyington showed us how to shoot 'em down!

Fatal flaw? No armor for the fuel tanks which would explode if shot, or really even sneezed at!

It didn't hlep that Japanese pilots routinely flew it without parachutes or radios (Saburo Sakai talks about this is 'Samurai!' his book about his war in the pacific. Sakai had 60+ kills during teh war and was the highest surviving Japanese ace, he passed away a few years ago).

I often wonder if the assassination of Admiral Yamamoto was set up by Yamamoto himself. Before he took that flight he had the navel code changed. After Pearl Harbor and Midway he must have suspected his codes were not secure. A honorable death was better than to face the defeat of japan which he expected from the very start.

As to the codebreaker Cmdr Joseph Rochefort, he made the ambush at Midway possible.

File:Joseph_rochefort.jpg

Captain Joseph John Rochefort (1898–1976) was an American Naval officer and cryptanalyst. His contributions and those of his team were pivotal to victory in the Pacific War.

Rochefort was a major figure in the United States Navy's cryptographic and intelligence operations from 1925 to 1946, particularly in the Battle of Midway, which his skills and effort helped win. Fluent in Japanese, he headed the Navy's fledgling cryptanalytic organization in the 1920s and provided cryptographic support to the U.S. Fleet. At the end of his naval career (1942–1946), Rochefort successfully headed the Pacific Strategic Intelligence Group in Washington.

Last edited:
I often wonder if the assassination of Admiral Yamamoto was set up by Yamamoto himself. Before he took that flight he had the navel code changed. After Pearl Harbor and Midway he must have suspected his codes were not secure. A honorable death was better than to face the defeat of japan which he expected from the very start.
He also insisted on going, over the objections of local commanders, not even letting them talk him into changing the flight plans.

Good point.

File:Joseph_rochefort.jpg

If my image does not appear try this link. It did not appear in my previous post tho I tried.
File:Joseph rochefort.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Captain Joseph John Rochefort (1898–1976) was an American Naval officer and cryptanalyst. His contributions and those of his team were pivotal to victory in the Pacific War.

Rochefort was a major figure in the United States Navy's cryptographic and intelligence operations from 1925 to 1946, particularly in the Battle of Midway, which his skills and effort helped win. Fluent in Japanese, he headed the Navy's fledgling cryptanalytic organization in the 1920s and provided cryptographic support to the U.S. Fleet. At the end of his naval career (1942–1946), Rochefort successfully headed the Pacific Strategic Intelligence Group in Washington.

Forum List

Back