Judge upholds tough Pa. voter ID law

530123_510526105640708_1378973263_n.jpg

:clap2:
In a ruling with implications for the presidential race, a judge Wednesday rejected an effort by civil rights groups to block Pennsylvania’s new voter ID law, legislation that Republicans say is needed to prevent fraud at the polls this fall.

Commonwealth Court Judge Robert E. Simpson, a Republican, rejected the complaint that sought an injunction to prevent the law from taking effect. The measure, approved by the Republican-controlled legislature last spring, requires voters to show a state-approved photo ID such as a driver’s license in order to vote.

The ACLU and other groups opposed to the law are expected to appeal. They argue that the law will disenfranchise thousands of voters, especially lower-income residents and minorities.

A number of other states with Republican-controlled legislatures have also passed or are considering law to toughen identification standards

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/aug/15/judge-upholds-tough-pa-voter-id-law/

you're celebrating a hack doing what hacks do?

:lmao:

I'm celebrating the fact that 30 million illegal aliens will not be able to provide the documentation necessary to obtain their state-issued ID and will therefore be precluded from voting.

Many in California are wishing they had voter ID laws 25 years ago...

You aren't very smart. The demographics of who has and does not have an ID is what matters, not where they live. And it is mostly the poor and elderly who do not have ID.

You are correct the GOP is working hard to make PA a blue state, though. But you are right for all the wrong reasons.

The people who vote Democratic are going to be energized by these obvious attempts at cheating by the GOP.

No one can get a hard-on about Romney. He doesn't inspire voters to get out and vote for him.

But lots of people can get mad enough to vote against him when assholes are so obviously trying to prevent them from doing so.

The Republican philosophy is morally bankrupt. The lies, the hypocrisy, the extramarital affairs, the big government spending, the closet homos. It's all been exposed. The Republican Party can no longer win on principal, so now they have nothing left but to cheat.

Pretty sad.

Who are these people with no ID?

I have never met someone who hasnt had one. Yes people have lost theirs.

You get that right.......Lost.

The young, the elderly, the poor, and the disabled. I guess you're OK with bringing back a de facto poll tax.

One of the ironies may be that seniors who often don't drive will be disenfranchised by the law; thus hurting the typical GOP voting block.

With the exception of 2008, which was a wave year, WI and PA have never firmly been in the Democrats' column even though they've won them. Kerry only won PA by 2 points in 2004 and he barely edged out Bush in WI by half a point. I think it will be a similar margin this year regardless of who they go with.

Pennsylvania will be in Obama's Camp. It hasn't gone GOP since 1988. You're simply incorrect.
WI is dominated by Chicago. And that is Obama's back yard. He'll win both easily.

Chicago is in Illinois, and Scott Walker won easily in Wisconsin.

Many people who work in suburban Chicago live in Wisconsin. Feel free to break out a map any old time. Since a governor is Republican, a Democrat can't win the state? Who knew?

Who are these people with no ID?

I have never met someone who hasnt had one. Yes people have lost theirs.

You get that right.......Lost.

The young, the elderly, the poor, and the disabled. I guess you're OK with bringing back a de facto poll tax.

One of the ironies may be that seniors who often don't drive will be disenfranchised by the law; thus hurting the typical GOP voting block.

And the elderly are most likely not to still have their birth certificate. BTW, birth certificates aren't free, and one form of acceptable ID to get a photo ID, hence, the defacto Poll Tax. I guess this why Mitt and Ayn Ryan are talking about cutting Social Security and Medicare.

The urban myth promoted by the left is that producing an I.D. is "tough". Did the union based education system raise a generation of kids who don't know that they need a photo I.D. to get into a Rock Concert? How dumb does the left think Americans are? You need a photo I.D. to collect welfare, rent an apartment, cash a check, cash a bad check, post bail, visit a convict in jail, get the mail, buy something on sale, visit a tanning salon if you are pale and sometimes you need a photo I.d to get a piece of tail.

Tell that to someone who has to pay a lawyer to get a notarized statement to get a birth certificate to get a photo ID to be allowed to exercise their Right To Vote.
Tell that to someone who has to pay a lawyer to get a notarized statement to get a birth certificate to get a photo ID to be allowed to exercise their Right To Buy a Gun.

The right to vote, in total, is predictated on you being who you say you are when you show up to vote. The state, therefore, has a compelling interest in making sure that you are who you say you are; the least restrictive means to this end is a photo ID.
Still waiting for response.

In a ruling with implications for the presidential race, a judge Wednesday rejected an effort by civil rights groups to block Pennsylvania’s new voter ID law, legislation that Republicans say is needed to prevent fraud at the polls this fall.

Commonwealth Court Judge Robert E. Simpson, a Republican, rejected the complaint that sought an injunction to prevent the law from taking effect. The measure, approved by the Republican-controlled legislature last spring, requires voters to show a state-approved photo ID such as a driver’s license in order to vote.

The ACLU and other groups opposed to the law are expected to appeal. They argue that the law will disenfranchise thousands of voters, especially lower-income residents and minorities.

A number of other states with Republican-controlled legislatures have also passed or are considering law to toughen identification standards

Pa. voters will need to show their IDs - Washington Times
Great news!

Pa. voters will need to show their IDs - Washington Times
Great news!

I agree.

At my precinct the sign reading "YOU MUST HAVE VALID PHOTO ID TO VOTE" was in front of the precinct number, and MUCH larger than the sign with an arrow pointing to the entrance yesterday. It is time to be concerned; Romney wins, is unable to fulfill his responsiblities, due to illness perhaps, Republicans take the Senate.....look for an amedment reinstituting literacy tests and poll taxes. ( A reasonable plot for a horror movie: "How The End* Began.")

*Of AMERICA.

And the elderly are most likely not to still have their birth certificate. BTW, birth certificates aren't free, and one form of acceptable ID to get a photo ID, hence, the defacto Poll Tax. I guess this why Mitt and Ayn Ryan are talking about cutting Social Security and Medicare.

Free Voter registration cards issued by all states should have to be the only thing you need and they should all have picture ID's on them.

Voter Fraud and How Al Franken Won the Election

Illegitimate Democrat Al Franken

democrat-al-franken.jpg

(WASHINGTON EXAMINER) In the eyes of the Obama administration, most Democratic lawmakers, and left-leaning editorial pages across the country, voter fraud is a problem that doesn’t exist. Allegations of fraud, they say, are little more than pretexts conjured up by Republicans to justify voter ID laws designed to suppress Democratic turnout.

That argument becomes much harder to make after reading a discussion of the 2008 Minnesota Senate race in “Who’s Counting?”, a new book by conservative journalist John Fund and former Bush Justice Department official Hans von Spakovsky. Although the authors cover the whole range of voter fraud issues, their chapter on Minnesota is enough to convince any skeptic that there are times when voter fraud not only exists but can be critical to the outcome of a critical race.

In the ’08 campaign, Republican Sen. Norm Coleman was running for re-election against Democrat Al Franken. It was impossibly close; on the morning after the election, after 2.9 million people had voted, Coleman led Franken by 725 votes.

Franken and his Democratic allies dispatched an army of lawyers to challenge the results. After the first canvass, Coleman’s lead was down to 206 votes. That was followed by months of wrangling and litigation. In the end, Franken was declared the winner by 312 votes. He was sworn into office in July 2009, eight months after the election.

During the controversy a conservative group called Minnesota Majority began to look into claims of voter fraud. Comparing criminal records with voting rolls, the group identified 1,099 felons — all ineligible to vote — who had voted in the Franken-Coleman race.

Minnesota Majority took the information to prosecutors across the state, many of whom showed no interest in pursuing it. But Minnesota law requires authorities to investigate such leads. And so far, Fund and von Spakovsky report, 177 people have been convicted — not just accused, but convicted — of voting fraudulently in the Senate race. Another 66 are awaiting trial. “The numbers aren’t greater,” the authors say, “because the standard for convicting someone of voter fraud in Minnesota is that they must have been both ineligible, and ‘knowingly’ voted unlawfully.” The accused can get off by claiming not to have known they did anything wrong.

Still, that’s a total of 243 people either convicted of voter fraud or awaiting trial in an election that was decided by 312 votes. With 1,099 examples identified by Minnesota Majority, and with evidence suggesting that felons, when they do vote, strongly favor Democrats, it doesn’t require a leap to suggest there might one day be proof that Al Franken was elected on the strength of voter fraud.

Voter Fraud and How Al Franken Won the Election | AirModal Independent

Forum List

Back