Judge cited for changing Messiah's name

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Good.

Tennessee judge cited for ordering baby's name changed from Messiah - Orlando Sentinel

"The word '€˜messiah' is a title, and it's a title that has only been earned by one person, and that one person is Jesus Christ," the magistrate told Tennessee television station WBIR at the time.

The parents appealed, and in September another judge, Chancellor Telford Forgety Jr., held that Ballew's ruling was unconstitutional.

The parents, who have since dropped their dispute over the last name, have continued to call the boy Messiah DeShawn McCullough.

A three-member investigative panel of the Tennessee Board of Judicial Conduct concluded this week there was "reasonable cause to believe (Ballew) has committed judicial offenses," and directed the state board's disciplinary counsel to file the charges, according to a document obtained from a court clerk.

The judicial code the panel cited centers on a clause that says religion and other personal biases must not play roles when judges are performing their duties.

Ballew could not be reached for comment.

Next, Ballew should be scheduled for a psych-eval.

• Banned
The parents appealed, and in September another judge, Chancellor Telford Forgety Jr., held that Ballew's ruling was unconstitutional.

Yes, citizens have the Constitutional right to give their children silly names, without interference from the state.

Tell me about it. Next town over, couple named their kids Napoleon and Josephine.

Yes, citizens have the Constitutional right to give their children silly names, without interference from the state.

Tell me about it. Next town over, couple named their kids Napoleon and Josephine.

Josephine is not too bad, but her poor brother…

• Banned

I don't agree. I certainly don't think any parent should be allowed to call their child Hitler, or Stalin, or Pol Pot, for instance.

Good.

Tennessee judge cited for ordering baby's name changed from Messiah - Orlando Sentinel

"The word '€˜messiah' is a title, and it's a title that has only been earned by one person, and that one person is Jesus Christ," the magistrate told Tennessee television station WBIR at the time.

The parents, who have since dropped their dispute over the last name, have continued to call the boy Messiah DeShawn McCullough.

A three-member investigative panel of the Tennessee Board of Judicial Conduct concluded this week there was "reasonable cause to believe (Ballew) has committed judicial offenses," and directed the state board's disciplinary counsel to file the charges, according to a document obtained from a court clerk.

The judicial code the panel cited centers on a clause that says religion and other personal biases must not play roles when judges are performing their duties.

Now they just need to teach that kid how to fight.

I don't agree. I certainly don't think any parent should be allowed to call their child Hitler, or Stalin, or Pol Pot, for instance.

yes, we know you don't believe in rights.

What you mean to say is that you don't believe in our Constitution. Certainly, Americans have the Constitutional right of free speech.

Parents can give their kids and name they want, even if it is stupid.... Doesn't stop them from becoming POTUS

-Geaux

BTW would it be considered legal free speech or an unlawful threat/harassment/abuse/disturbing the peace if you named your child
Kill President _______
and posted that everywhere saying it was your baby's name and you were celebrating
with a viral video to announce it to the world?

Wouldn't there be an issue with intent?

Good.

About time.

Forum List

Back