Jon Stewart calls national anthem a 'weird ritual' at games

Its a uniquely American tradition. Nowhere else in the world does it. Doesnt mean there is anything wrong with it. Until you start forcing people to do it.

Let’s be honesty. Our anthem sucks. We have the worlds best music.
I think the Brits would differ with you about that

as for the anthem, its only right that we should show respect for the nation that has given us so much

I think the Brits would differ with you about that

as for the anthem, its only right that we should show respect for the nation that has given us so much
I’ll grant you it’s an opinion but their Anthem is way better than ours and their music isn’t way better than ours.

I sing at sports events but the only person who sounds good is the featured performer. Hell even recordings often are terrible. It doesn’t reflect the wonders of America… in my opinion.

Its a uniquely American tradition. Nowhere else in the world does it. Doesnt mean there is anything wrong with it. Until you start forcing people to do it.
No other country sings their national anthem? i am positive the Canadians do before NBA games

but you are right about forcing people to do it..thankfully we don’t do that here

Its only weird if you don't love you're country and believe in what it stood for originally and so on.

The national anthem at sporting events was because the majority of people who went to sporting events did love america and proud of their country. They were all gathered in a large group and sang the anthem during their downtime where they went to enjoy themselves. At a sporting event you aren't in school, you aren't at work, or anything so people were being thankful to live in a free country where they had a good job that gave them a decent life where they could go to like a baseball game and have some fun relaxing with other Americans.

Now it's only considered weird because so many people are cynical about america, they love to hate it, loving America's history is now considered bad and most Americans are just passive pussies that think loving your country is hocky or dumb.

Jon Stewart used to be funny but now he is just a pandering asshole that picks apart guns, Republicans, America, traditions and values. He is a liberal Jew and he now uses that as his meal ticket.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm fine with singing the national anthem at games, or not. Really dont care either way. Where I have a problem is when the US military gets involved at sporting events. This is where people start conflating patriotism with militarism.

really? got any evidence to support that?

Baseball fans in the late 19th century might’ve heard live military bands play the Star-Spangled Banner at a game every so often, but the song—which hadn’t yet been designated as the national anthem—wasn’t really a common occurrence at sporting events. That began to change on September 5, 1918, during Game 1 of the World Series between the Boston Red Sox and the Chicago Cubs.

Have no Personal problem with the anthem, Do you know the words to All of it? Its about war, so now in this upside down world of ours the like or not liking will be attributed to what political party you chose? Can we get much more crazy?

Baseball fans in the late 19th century might’ve heard live military bands play the Star-Spangled Banner at a game every so often, but the song—which hadn’t yet been designated as the national anthem—wasn’t really a common occurrence at sporting events. That began to change on September 5, 1918, during Game 1 of the World Series between the Boston Red Sox and the Chicago Cubs.
so we’ll before the Cold War as I correctly pointed out

It isn't about a "need". The song is played so show some basic decorum. The song isn't the source of unnecessary attention.
What you guys consider decorum isn’t shared by all and it isn’t a requirement to act a certain way.

You guys throw a hissy fit when someone doesn’t act the same way during the song.

What you guys consider decorum isn’t shared by all and it isn’t a requirement to act a certain way.

You guys throw a hissy fit when someone doesn’t act the same way during the song.
Yes it quite lacking in certain segments of the population.

Yes it quite lacking in certain segments of the population.
Right. The way they act is offensive to YOU. Seems to me that you’re the one with the problem here.

Which would you prefer?

A) Remove the national anthem before a sporting event since it’s unnecessary.

B) Keep the national anthem and get upset every time because people don’t share your same opinion of decorum.

Right. The way they act is offensive to YOU. Seems to me that you’re the one with the problem here.

Which would you prefer?

A) Remove the national anthem before a sporting event since it’s unnecessary.

B) Keep the national anthem and get upset every time because people don’t share your same opinion of decorum.
I don't get upset about this, but like I said if the Anthem is played respect it and act accordingly.

I don't get upset about this, but like I said if the Anthem is played respect it and act accordingly.
Of course you get upset by this. When people inevitably don’t act the way you want them to, you’re going to be upset by their behavior.

“I don’t get upset about this. Just act the way I want you to or else I will get upset.” LoL

Forum List

Back