Joliet Police use Battle Buddies to help Veterans in Distress.

SavannahMann

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2016
Joliet Police used an idea to create a program. They realized that Veterans would be less resistant to listening to a fellow Vet. The idea that Vets understand each other better. They have shared experiences, even if not identical.

According to the program’s leader, a Deputy Chief, it has been used about thirty times, and every time successfully. Thirty times the police were able to de-escalate the situation without resorting to violence. Thirty times they managed it without killing the poor fellow.

Now, I don’t believe that any program will always be 100% successful for all time. I know that sometimes it isn’t going to work out. But this shows the police are trying something other than me in charge you obey shouting nonsense. Something other than the Respect my Authoritah attitude.

I commend it. I applaud it. I approve wholeheartedly.

I believe that there is always a way to change for the better. I believe there is always lessons to be learned, and I believe in my heart that we can do better, and we should. It seems the Joliet Police felt the same way and took a risk. They tried this without knowing how it would work, or even if it would make any difference at all. The police are justifiably proud of their achievement. And they want to let the other cops around the nation know that it can work. It can save lives. It can save the lives of our Vets and our Cops.

I know that sooner or later, someone is going to take either their life or the life of a cop. They’ll be drowning in so much despair and negativity that it will happen. And I hope that the program survives this event. Because nothing is ever 100%.

The police in Joliet didn’t just fall back on the tried and trusted playbook. They didn’t just declare that violence was the answer. They decided to take a risk to save lives, and that should always be the goal, saving as many lives as possible.

Joliet Police used an idea to create a program. They realized that Veterans would be less resistant to listening to a fellow Vet. The idea that Vets understand each other better. They have shared experiences, even if not identical.

According to the program’s leader, a Deputy Chief, it has been used about thirty times, and every time successfully. Thirty times the police were able to de-escalate the situation without resorting to violence. Thirty times they managed it without killing the poor fellow.

Now, I don’t believe that any program will always be 100% successful for all time. I know that sometimes it isn’t going to work out. But this shows the police are trying something other than me in charge you obey shouting nonsense. Something other than the Respect my Authoritah attitude.

I commend it. I applaud it. I approve wholeheartedly.

I believe that there is always a way to change for the better. I believe there is always lessons to be learned, and I believe in my heart that we can do better, and we should. It seems the Joliet Police felt the same way and took a risk. They tried this without knowing how it would work, or even if it would make any difference at all. The police are justifiably proud of their achievement. And they want to let the other cops around the nation know that it can work. It can save lives. It can save the lives of our Vets and our Cops.

I know that sooner or later, someone is going to take either their life or the life of a cop. They’ll be drowning in so much despair and negativity that it will happen. And I hope that the program survives this event. Because nothing is ever 100%.

The police in Joliet didn’t just fall back on the tried and trusted playbook. They didn’t just declare
What a sound program that will hopefully work as a catylst for many other precincts to act! Now this is the kind of positive journalism that leads to resolving crucial issues...focusing on effective measures that work:) Kudos to all journalists who strive to get their editors to seek out not just the venomous stories but those that lead to saving lives! Let's tie in resources leading to homes as well for veterans who need one. More start-up orgs are greatly needed to fill the need.

In the book First Blood Rambo dies. Killed by Colonel Troutman at the end. Nobody wanted to see this. Not the director, the actors, or the test audiences.

Well. One actor did. Kirk Douglas was originally slated to play Colonel Troutman. He insisted that the book be done as written and Rambo had to die. When the Director refused. Douglas withdrew from the movie and they scrambled to find another actor. Filming was about to start. They got Richard Crenna at the last minute.

Stallone, and the Director did not want Rambo to die. They did not want to tell Vets who were suffering that the only answer to their pain was death. They did not want to tell society that the best solution for Vets was to kill them.

Thank God they did the right thing.

Forum List

Back