Joint Security Area (2000 South Korean film by Park Chan-wook)

AsianTrumpSupporter

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2017
Democratic People's Republique de Californie

This movie gained some fame by making it on Tarantino's list of the best movies he's seen since he became a director. It's directed by Park Chan-wook who is famous (infamous?) for directing Oldboy.

Without giving anything away, it's about an investigation into a conflict that broke out near the DMZ (demilitarized zone) along the border of North Korea and South Korea.

I loved this movie. It's very, very different from Oldboy. I was also surprised once I found out what really happens in the movie. It's quite a surprise and different from what I expected. The only glaringly bad part is the South Korean actress who plays a neutral, Swiss JAG investigator. Her acting whenever she speaks English is horrible. But it's better when she's just speaking Korean.

The other actors' are very good except for some of the European actors who seem like B actors that I don't recognize from anywhere else. But they're not as bad as that actress' acting when she speaks English.

9/10

Next movie I plan to watch is Split.

The South Koreans make some kickass movies. Much better than the CGI-laden, explosions-every-three-minutes, drek cranked out by Hollywood these days.

You mentioned Oldboy. Have you seen the entire Vengeance Trilogy?

That's some hardcore stuff. Some of the best movies ever made.

Forum List

Back