Johnny Carson Gives $156 Million to Charity From Beyond the Grave

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Johnny Carson Gives $156 Million to Charity From Beyond the Grave - Yahoo! TV Blog

Johnny Carson may have died in 2005, but tax filings uncovered by the Smoking Gun this week show the legendary "Tonight Show" host became Hollywood's biggest philanthropist last year.

Tax returns filed in May for the fiscal year ending in June show that Carson quietly arranged for a donation of $156 million to his charitable trust, the John W. Carson Foundation. This donation makes Carson's foundation Hollywood's largest in terms of assets. The New York Post cites another large foundation -- that of record producer David Geffen's -- by way of contrast: It doles out money from "only" $80 million in assets.

According to the Smoking Gun, Carson's foundation, which is overseen by a financial management team, has doled out or earmarked gifts to the Children's Hospital of Los Angeles, the Los Angeles free clinic, and Planned Parenthood, among others.

Figured this would be a cool story to share. :cool:

"$156 million......"

carnac.jpg

He paid the money to his Charitable Trust? Hmm, yeah. OK.

Also interesting to note that since his death he's continued to vote for Democrats multiple times

He's from a generation when murkins still had class.

1. "To begin with, charitable giving in America has never been the exclusive province of wealthy people. Throughout our history, Americans from all walks of life have given generously for charitable causes. Indeed, the most generous Americans today—the group that gives the most to charity as a proportion of their income—are the working poor.

2. Today, Americans voluntarily give over $30 billion a year to support higher education, and—thanks in part to philanthropy—America has the best colleges and universities in the world. Even our great flagship state universities depend on private contributions for much of their excellence.

3. Private charitable giving is also at the heart and soul of public discourse in our democracy. It makes possible our great think tanks, whether left, right or center. Name a great issue of public debate today: climate change, the role of government in health care, school choice, stem cell research, same-sex marriage. On all these issues, private philanthropy enriches debate by enabling organizations with diverse viewpoints to articulate and spread their message.

4. We usually hear about charity in the media when there is a terrible disaster. For example, after Hurricane Katrina, we heard about the incredible outpouring of private generosity that amounted to $6 billion. What gets less attention is that Americans routinely give that much to charity every week. Last year Americans gave $300 billion to charity. To put this into perspective, that is almost twice what we spent on consumer electronics equipment—equipment including cell phones, iPods and DVD players. Americans gave three times as much to charity last year as we spent on gambling and ten times as much as we spent on professional sports. America is by far the most charitable country in the world. There is no other country that comes close."
https://www.hillsdale.edu/news/imprimis/archive/issue.asp?year=2010&month=01
(emphasis mine)

You may have been misled in your view by looking at the charitable record of our Democrat leaders.

1. "To begin with, charitable giving in America has never been the exclusive province of wealthy people. Throughout our history, Americans from all walks of life have given generously for charitable causes. Indeed, the most generous Americans today—the group that gives the most to charity as a proportion of their income—are the working poor.

2. Today, Americans voluntarily give over $30 billion a year to support higher education, and—thanks in part to philanthropy—America has the best colleges and universities in the world. Even our great flagship state universities depend on private contributions for much of their excellence.

3. Private charitable giving is also at the heart and soul of public discourse in our democracy. It makes possible our great think tanks, whether left, right or center. Name a great issue of public debate today: climate change, the role of government in health care, school choice, stem cell research, same-sex marriage. On all these issues, private philanthropy enriches debate by enabling organizations with diverse viewpoints to articulate and spread their message.

4. We usually hear about charity in the media when there is a terrible disaster. For example, after Hurricane Katrina, we heard about the incredible outpouring of private generosity that amounted to $6 billion. What gets less attention is that Americans routinely give that much to charity every week. Last year Americans gave $300 billion to charity. To put this into perspective, that is almost twice what we spent on consumer electronics equipment—equipment including cell phones, iPods and DVD players. Americans gave three times as much to charity last year as we spent on gambling and ten times as much as we spent on professional sports. America is by far the most charitable country in the world. There is no other country that comes close."
(emphasis mine)

You may have been misled in your view by looking at the charitable record of our Democrat leaders.

PolChi can administer a spanking like Ive never seen

First, don't Progressives believe that everything should return to the state upon death?

Second, I have the hardest time understanding how it is, except for tax purposes, that putting all your assets into a charitable trust is the same as giving it to charity? If it went to the ASPCA OK, that's giving it to charity but I can't see jumping with joy because it went from Joe Citizen to Joe Citizen Charitable Trust

First, don't Progressives believe that everything should return to the state upon death?

Second, I have the hardest time understanding how it is, except for tax purposes, that putting all your assets into a charitable trust is the same as giving it to charity? If it went to the ASPCA OK, that's giving it to charity but I can't see jumping with joy because it went from Joe Citizen to Joe Citizen Charitable Trust

I could be wrong, but I believe that by putting it into a charitable trust, the money is controlled by a board who can dole it out to many different charities. There may also be some sort of investing involved allowing the money to earn more keeping the donations going for a very long time.

All right - I give up. What is a "murkins"? I Googled it. It is either a businessman or a pubic wig, depending upon your ability to spell (or lack thereof).

What's a murkin?

American.

I don't think so. This from Google/Yahoo:

a murkin is a device created in the olden days for women diagnosed with crabs. they shaved thier pubic hair in order to get rid of them. this was a sure fire way to tell a girl was dirty so the murkin was created in order to hide this fact. in short a murkin is a wig for the vaginal area.

Which rasies the question, what the hell are you talking about here, anyway? Your statement about Johnny Carson ("He's from a generation when murkins still had class") makes no sense whatsoever.

Edit Note: Apologies to hjmick - wasn't his original statement. That was old B.Kidd who, I now see, was just screwing with a pronunciation of the word, "American."

Last edited:
Really USMB, some of you can't go one thread without making it political?

(emphasis mine)

There's more right than left on this board. Awhile back I did a thread on USMB members who ongoing contribute to charity and what they're favorite charity was. There was like 4-5 responses, and you weren't one of 'em!:lol:

(emphasis mine)

There's more right than left on this board. Awhile back I did a thread on USMB members who ongoing contribute to charity and what they're favorite charity was. There was like 4-5 responses, and you weren't one of 'em!:lol:

I'm not sure who your leaders are on this board, but the "Democrat leaders' to whom I was referring were President Obama and Vice-President Biden, who have truly parsimonious records when it comes to chartity for the less fortunate.

While I don't recall the thread you mention, my charitable contributions, which far outweigh the two elected officials above, are not relevant to this discussion.

Forum List

Back